• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Researchers find high-fructose corn syrup may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee co

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Researchers find high-fructose corn syrup may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee colonies
(Phys.org) —A team of entomologists from the University of Illinois has found a possible link between the practice of feeding commercial honeybees high-fructose corn syrup and the collapse of honeybee colonies around the world. The team outlines their research and findings in a paper they've had published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Since approximately 2006, groups that manage commercial honeybee colonies have been reporting what has become known as colony collapse disorder—whole colonies of bees simply died, of no apparent cause. As time has passed, the disorder has been reported at sites all across the world, even as scientists have been racing to find the cause, and a possible cure. To date, most evidence has implicated pesticides used to kill other insects such as mites. In this new effort, the researchers have found evidence to suggest the real culprit might be high-fructose corn syrup, which beekeepers have been feeding bees as their natural staple, honey, has been taken away from them.

Commercial honeybee enterprises began feeding bees high-fructose corn syrup back in the 70's after research was conducted that indicated that doing so was safe. Since that time, new pesticides have been developed and put into use and over time it appears the bees' immunity response to such compounds may have become compromised.

The researchers aren't suggesting that high-fructose corn syrup is itself toxic to bees, instead, they say their findings indicate that by eating the replacement food instead of honey, the bees are not being exposed to other chemicals that help the bees fight off toxins, such as those found in pesticides.

Damn, HFCS really is poison.

I hope so. Why do we get to have a health scare over so many things which aren't remotely harmful to the point where the scare does significant damage, but we don't get to have one over something that make soda taste like ass?

Alls I care about is getting real sugar back.

TUSR

Banned
Researchers find HFCS may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee colonies

would have been a better title

scary shit tho

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Researchers find HFCS may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee colonies

would have been a better title

I couldn't fit the whole thing in the title, but it's too late to change it now.

Still, it's crazy how the bee population has been decimated. I remember as a kid, bees were everywhere in my neighborhood, but now not anymore.

Gob's not on board.

This just goes to show how complacent this part of the agriculture industry has become. Either they didn't see the potential for gradual disruption of bees' immune systems coming, or they just want to reap in the profits before the age of expensive, artificial pollination. Worst off of all are the bees. Poor bees.

Granted, there's only a correlation right now, but I'm willing to take the evidence seriously.

I have a nice amount of bees/wasps around my place in Central IL. Not sure why they do so well in my yard. Kind of pisses me off actually, makes it hard to do yard work with wasps and bees landing on you every few minutes.

But for real, they need to find a way to revive the bee population. Fuck wasps though.

Sounds like bullshit honestly.

My father keeps a bunch of hives and NEVER feeds them HFCS and every one of his hives collapsed last year.

Most legit research points to a combination of pesticides and parasites being the cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom