• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returned to the party cuz it's still rockin' - Chrono Cross

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I've heard all the criticism regarding Chrono Cross known to man. And I agree with it most of the time. Yes, the game is a freak show with too much totally whacky characters with zero depth. Yes, around fifty of'm is too much. Sure, the game was way too easy. It was a shame the tech aspect was weak compared to Chrono Trigger.

But then again, the locations are beautiful. The music touches me. Some of the main characters are really great and belong to the most memorable of RPG history. It's got this vibe or atmosphere that reminds me of how going to new places, like on holidays in foreign countries, felt when I was a child. It oozes adventure and excitement. So did Chrono Trigger (for me) even more. It's something I don't 'find' in other RPG's usually. Sometimes the feeling is there for a moment, but not as consistently as in Chrono Trigger/Cross.

So that's why the bad aspects of the game don't bother me. I'm not particularly fond of the artist responsible for the art but every other visual aspect of the game keeps stunning me. Just wandering around, listening to Mitsuda's work and admiring the backgrounds seems enough.

I've played dozens of other RPG's and most of them were great in their own way, but none of them did really evoke the same feeling as the Chrono games. It kinda reminds me of why I like Studio Ghibli movies sometimes. I wonder if Baten Kaitos will do the trick for me, it does seem to have beautiful enviroments.

belgurdo

Banned
The game would have really benefitted from having about two thirds of it's cast removed, but I liked what they did with most of the story

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It was a good game in its own right (though definitely not the best RPG on the PSX...though it was the most beautiful and it did have the best music), but it left much to be desired as a Chrono game.

And the only REALLY good and REALLY memorable character in the game was Harle. She was excellent.

Gruco

Banned
belgurdo said:
The game would have really benefitted from having about two thirds of it's cast removed, but I liked what they did with most of the story
Pretty much agree.

Chrono Cross has great music, beatiful environments, and handled the story in a pretty neat way. The absurd overload of uninteresting characters was basically the kiss of death though. Shame.

Rei_Toei said:
But then again, the locations are beautiful. The music touches me. Some of the main characters are really great and belong to the most memorable of RPG history. It's got this vibe or atmosphere that reminds me of how going to new places, like on holidays in foreign countries, felt when I was a child.

Yeah - I like the overall laid-back feel to the game; that's what I remember it for. It's a great game to play during the summer.

Top Bottom