• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolutionary Girl Utena coming to blu ray this December

http://www.nozomientertainment.com/...-edition-20th-anniversary-blu-ray-collection/

Announced at AX, box set with the entire show and the movie for $135 on rightstuf. Comes with fluff like the rose crest ring replica.

NZBLU1728-600x759.jpg

The 20th Anniversary of the legendary shojo anime Revolutionary Girl Utena has arrived and we are releasing a special 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition for fans!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 20th Anniversary Edition contains the complete 39 episode TV series as well as the Movie: Adolescence of Utena. The set will be housed in a special 20th Anniversary Edition box and include extras such as a replica Rose Ring, a replica Black Rose Ring, and a 250+ page art book featuring episode commentaries by Director Ikuhara, interviews with staff, behind the scenes stories, liner notes, art galleries and more!

The entire show is on Nozomi's youtube legally and for free if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrh84y760v-hDEulas0Tp_wiQy0FcjLl
It's one of my favorite animes!

Scavenger

Never seen Utena, but I did love Ikuhara's Sailor Moon S, Mawaru Penguindrum and to a lesser degree Yurikuma Arashi. Not sure I want the Ultra Edition because of the shipping costs and Dutch import fees, but I did pre-order it anyway because they don't charge until release.

Dice//

Banned
I was watching this series when they legalized gay marriage in the States. Clearly this series has magic in it.
x)

Anyways thrilled to hear!

I love this series! I bought what I thought were legit DVDs back when I was in college and I look forward to replacing the set with good stuff

I've been wanting to make a thread about Utena since I finished it, one of my favorite shows of all time. That price though!

MadeULook

Oh man, that CE might actually get me to drop the extra cash for it. Usually don't since the extras take up space and thongs I'll ever look at or use but once, that art book is tempting.

Glad I didn't jump on the DVD's last year when Nozomi delayed the release of the Blu-rays. I assume they are using the Japanese Blu-rays?

Koren

Is this a good anime or a boob anime?
It's... different. Really different.

I think it's great (and I love the movie which is even more strange) but it's not for everyone. You have to try it to see if you like.

The lyrics of the Duel songs should give you an idea about how strange the show is...
Example for Ep. 2 (different for each episode):
http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/utena/rgunnnnk.htm

I hope that we'll get a BR release here too, even if I own the DVD (and collector edition of the movie)

Theonik

Is this a good anime or a boob anime?
GoodAnime™

^ I want it in the UK along with Eureka Seven on Blu-ray, why can't we just have these released already :(
Eureka Seven is getting an Ultimate Edition by Anime Limited this year!

Never heard it but isn't the dub considered like legendarily bad lol.
It's bad. It also never got updated for the director's cut so the dub is limited to the inferior TV soundtrack. (they re-did most of the sound-effects)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I need to give this another chance watched it years ago and didn't hate or love it

My favorite anime ever, even taking into account things like Tatami Galaxy, Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, etc.

If you can enjoy, or are at least not bothered by shojo conventions, but want something more substantial in themes and characterization, here you go. It's also got great music and is wonderfully directed.

Shauni

742617172823_anime-revolutionary-girl-utena-20th-anniversary-ultra-edition-blu-ray-altb.jpg

New render of the contents. I wonder what the rings will look like IRL.

I got the replica in the last DVD releases of the original class ring. It looks okay, not overly cheap. It actually just fit my ex's finger and she wore it from time to time, pretty cute.

$135?
Yeah, I am not getting this anytime soon.
$135 for 39 episodes and a movie sounds like a steal to me. Works out to like $3.18 for each 25 minute episode (counting the movie as three episodes, which is problematic but had to factor it in somehow).

Top Bottom