• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riaa Using A Detrimental Spyware/Virus To Ward Off Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Member
Welcome to www.35mb.com.

The Record Industries secret enemy against piracy takes on a whole new level, with an applet that is installed on a users computer which not only installs a program that searches for illegal mp3's on the users computer, which can wipe out an mp3 collection that is illegally obtained, but also sends an IP address to a main computer - tracking your activites of sites that are visited, including mp3 forums and sites.

Not only sites are targeted, but the individual - with a tracker monitoring the files that are downloaded onto a users computer...

HOW TO DELETE THE 35MB.COM APPLET:

Windows XP/ME/2000/98/95

1. Open up My Computer, and browse into the C Drive
2. Proceed to your Windows directory
3. Open up the folder, "Download Program Files"
4. Find the download_35mb_com.applet... right click and select "remove"
5. Restart your computer
6. Follow steps 1 to 2, and open your "system32" folder, check for the following dll's

* ms35mb.dll
* applet35mb.dll

If they are present, delete...

7. Open up Internet Explorer (Not sure how to do this in Opera, sorry), and increase your security settings (PRIVACY tab) to High. I understand that this could cause some problems with some websites, but I'm still working out how this applet works, and it appears to be integrated into Internet Explorer.

8. While still in the Internet Explorer options, click on the ADVANCED tab and "RESTORE DEFAULTS"

:( what about us canadians where file sharing is legal?

Pimpwerx

Member
Um, how is this software installed? I don't have it, but I still use WarezP2P, Kazaa Res (sometimes) and WinMX and, of course, BitTorrent. But how is this software installed? Is it through one of those activex installer dealies from the web browser? Also, how the fuck is this even legal? AFAIK, any software that deletes files from your computer without your permission is deemed malicious software and is thus punishable by law. I mean, it's like a virus. Whether that data is there legally or not is besides the point, we don't have vigilante justice in this country for a damn good reason. If the RIAA is really doing this (and I'll wait for further corroboration), then I hope hope hope all L33T H@XX0RS out there set their sites on any and everything RIAA and bring them to their fucking knees. But this shit can't be true. It would be crossing the line IMO. PEACE.

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
When you sign up with 35Mb.com you get a prompt to install an ActiveX component that includes these files (For some sort of downloading plugin).

So if you choose to install it that is your choice, you can hardly cry foul if it does happen to be a honeytrap and you get caught, and if you check the restrictions on accounts there it is fairly obviously a honeytrap of some sort. (Files that are not downloaded at least once every 7 days are deleted? huh? I mean come on, are filesharers that thic... oh wait... :p)

Not to say I agree with the RIAA and it's evil minions....

Freeburn.

Phoenix

Member
The Shadow said:
Wouldn't this be highly illegal?

Not until this latest law passes through Congress that makes spyware, malware, etc. illegal and requiring explicit user consent to install and providing directions for easy removal. Until then its just as legal as all the other crap that gets installed on your machine.

Yossarian

Member
if it is installed without the users knowlege, then I think current laws would classify this program as a virus, and yes, that would be illegal. However, if poeple install this file knowingly (if naively), then it is legal.

To: Riaa
From: Me
Subject: None

Two wrongs don't make a right, fucktards!

Sincerely,

Dan

To: RIAA
From: Anonymous >.> <.<
Subject: BOOM!

LETTER BOMB

Sincerely,
Unsatisfied Infected Customer

Phoenix

Member
Yossarian said:
if it is installed without the users knowlege, then I think current laws would classify this program as a virus, and yes, that would be illegal. However, if poeple install this file knowingly (if naively), then it is legal.

You are required to accept an ActiveX control, so it bypasses the virus test by virtue of using a plugin. It quite easily fits into the same boat as all the other crap adware/spyware that installs itself on your machine.

Brannon

Member

*reads today's newspaper to see what the top 10 albums are*

*proceeds to d/l 2 of them*

*will listen to them once and store them away for future listening*

*shoves another felt-tip marker up RIAA's ass*

OH WELL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom