• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer: Driftopia |OT| Riiiiidge racing for free

Cheddahz

Banned
ridge-racer-driftopia_logo.jpg

Ridge Racer: Driftopia is a F2P Ridge Racer game where you can drift your way to a victory!

What the developers say:
“RIDGE RACER Driftopia is free racing game. Driftopia distils the Ridge Racer experience to the essential elements of driving, drifting and destruction.
Select a track, a car then a booster and enter the race!

F2D.jpg

Details:
Developed by Finland’s Bugbear Entertainment, the studio behind 2012 title Ridge Racer Unbounded, RIDGE RACER™ Driftopia distils the experience to the essential elements of driving, drifting and destruction, with upgraded visuals that make every dust mote and gleaming fender shimmer with life.

Players will be challenged to shave seconds off each other’s times as they tear up the streets and punch holes in solid concrete to reveal vital shortcuts. Beat other players’ times to climb the global rankings, level up cars and earn booster cards to get that racing edge over the competition.

With more than 20 cars and 10 tracks at launch, daily packs of booster cards and repair kits, and much more content available in-game, the drifting never has to end.

Features:
- The series’ signature drifting and arcade handling are at the heart of the perfectly tuned gameplay experience
- Upgraded visuals, with enhanced lighting and destruction effects to make the most of the destructible cars and highly detailed environments
- Over 20 cars and 10 tracks from day one, with daily booster cards and repair kits, plus much more additional content available in-game
- Addictive Spirit Career mode with bonuses, points, and challenges to unlock, and strategic decisions to make as players climb the global rankings, level up their cars, and earn booster cards for valuable in-game advantages
- Asynchronous multiplayer lets players race to shave seconds of the times of other players’ ghost cars even when offline

Screenshots:

Download links:
Steam
PSN

Kuro

I haven't been steered wrong by a f2p racing/driving game yet.

Ridge Racer for Vita was a retail priced F2P game

Edit: as in it basically had a cash shop with all the damn dlc available and the complete lack of content the game had to begin with.

Mrbob

Wait, what? Why is this available for download on Steam if there are only a limited number of invites which is now closed.

Mohasus

Played the beta a while ago, pretty much Unbounded with F2P scheme. Buying repair kits, cars and things like that.

So what's GAF's opinion of this?
Unless they changed the payment model from the closed beta significantly, it is pretty fucking awful. The actual gameplay is sound, but the changes they made to squeeze Unbounded (a game I actually liked) into a F2P format have made the game absolutely unfun.

After playing, only want to put in Unbounded.

Something dirty about having to eventually pay for repairs and maybe having other players influence crashes.

this is not ridge racer

Yup. Getting a bit tired of companies attaching brands to games completely out of the spirit in a lure to capture an audience. It's like a lack of faith in your game if you don't think it can be a new IP.

Hell, even with say Assassin's Creed it's pissing me off. Black Flag looks cool but it didn't feel like Assassin's Creed. Should just call it Pirates Plunder or something. But they wanna cash in on that name.

In both cases, the brands are diluted and they no longer make me excited just to hear the name.

kazebyaka

Banned
Hell, even with say Assassin's Creed it's pissing me off. Black Flag looks cool but it didn't feel like Assassin's Creed. Should just call it Pirates Plunder or something. But they wanna cash in on that name.
it's got the same formula as the other AC games. Even almost same control scheme, but everything is a bit revamped. It's much more faithful to it's name than new Tomb Raider to old games. AC:BF is still a game about an assassins, just they happen to be pirates too. So i have no idea what are you talking about. If it featured no assassins, no animus, no same gameplay features, then it would be called something else.

From the beta, it's Unbounded but 100 times the prices if you want all the content from Unbounded. Also, pay to restart an event after each crash. Worst F2P I could play ever

Does anyone else miss the older arcade style bright and colorful Ridge Racer?

The current RR games look so generic like every shitty ios racing game ive ever tried

I know this is early access but the game barely stays connected to the servers for me. I usually get forced to the title screen 3-4 times before being able to enter a race. I've had about 3 full game crashes to go along with it.

This thing is held together with duct tape from what I'm experiencing.

it's got the same formula as the other AC games. Even almost same control scheme, but everything is a bit revamped. It's much more faithful to it's name than new Tomb Raider to old games. AC:BF is still a game about an assassins, just they happen to be pirates too. So i have no idea what are you talking about. If it featured no assassins, no animus, no same gameplay features, then it would be called something else.

Incidentally, I reckon that calling it something else would be a good reason to drop the Animus stuff, especially since the ending to 3 left a bad taste as far as that went.

But I digress; it's hard to explain but it doesn't look to me like an AC game. The control scheme is irrelevant in this. For context, I didn't think AC3 was much of an Assassin's Creed game either. It seemed to have far more in common with RDR than anything. The swarming metropolis (or multiple ones) were gone in favour of small towns dotted among a vast wilderness. A lot of the missions left me sour too, especially the ones where you engaged in all out warfare. The one where you had to run between the three sets of troops ordering them to fire just left me with a Jackie Chan face.

I'm not saying that we should be going through the ridiculous prerequisites that Assassin's Creed made you do, but I feel the series has evolved too much from the game I fell in love with and as such I've soured on it. It just doesn't have the flavour any more.

I did like how Eurogamer mentioned that it seemed at one point like the series would just give you a list of names and let you get on with it, but seemed to sweep away from that in terms of more directed and, dare I say it, cinematic combat.

Assassin's Creed 3 was easily my biggest disappointment of the generation, to the point where I felt angry when I finished it. Assassin's Creed 4 only seems to be going further down the same path.

Top Bottom