• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ripping copy protected cds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drey1082

is there any way to rip copy protected cds? I just bought the new modest mouse cd and started to rip it into itunes, just to find out that all the tracks have strange skipping in them. When i play the cd in a cd player, it works just fine. Is there any program that will let me still rip the disk into mp3?

Drey1082

maybe, i bought two cds that day (modest mouse, and postal service) and postal service ripped fine in itunes. So I assumed it was the disk.

aparisi2274

I just picked up the new VR CD, and it is also copy protected. I tried ripping it in iTunes, and I get that damn skipping, which is the protection. Then I used CDex, and I still get the same skipping. Anyone know if there are any settings I need to tweak in CDex for it to work properly.

Thanks.

aparisi2274 said:
I just picked up the new VR CD, and it is also copy protected. I tried ripping it in iTunes, and I get that damn skipping, which is the protection. Then I used CDex, and I still get the same skipping. Anyone know if there are any settings I need to tweak in CDex for it to work properly.

Thanks.

that explains the data track when I ripped the album in cdex. as far as I can tell, I didn't have any problems in windows media or cdex ripping it. (Velvet Revolver, that is)

EDIT: I have autorun turned off on the cdrive I use to rip cd's, so maybe that's an option?

I was listening to the VR CD in my truck yesterday and noticed that it skips like crazy. Is this part of the copy-protection? It's rather annoying that ripping the cd was easier than listening to it is.

Drey1082

bune duggy said:
I was listening to the VR CD in my truck yesterday and noticed that it skips like crazy. Is this part of the copy-protection? It's rather annoying that ripping the cd was easier than listening to it is.

I was reading about copy protection the other day, and it seems that what they do is make the cd with a lot of imperfections. When played in a normal cd player, the errors are accounted for, and corrected, since cd players have an automatic way of error correcting. Cd-rom drives, for the most part, either do not have this error correction, or can't correct it while ripping cds. Maybe your truck cd player is older and doesn't have this error correction? I doubt that's the case, but didn't the riaa get sued because they made a copy protected cd that wouldn't play in some cd players? Now i think if a cd is copy protected, it usually has the symbol in the case, or doesn't have the compact disc logo, as to protect itself from lawsuits.

the cdplayer is rather new, maybe 1 1/2 years old. and that RIAA case is what I was thinking of when it kept skipping. ah well, their loss. I am going to burn the mp3's to cd along with Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand and listen to them on my cd player (it does mp3 as well) and sell the cd's back to FYE.

to the original poster: my Modest Mouse isn't copy-protected, though there may be some versions that are.

I got velvet revolver album and Music Match ripped it fine. Do all copy protected cd's use the same technology or are they different for every cd.

Edit: Music Match has to be open prior to loading the cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom