• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

Looks like there is some DLC coming soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1prySLx6s&list=UU2aIljIo7vbB4HmbonV-0wg&index=1&feature=plcp

Someone from Deep Silver accidentally emailed me a link to the European versions of the trailers last night. That was really weird...

That's the DLC that came with the german exclusive special edition. It was probably cut from the game like Treasure Isle was.
Deep Silvers DLC strategy is so shitty. I wish PB would find a better publisher but sadly I think most publishers would do the same thing and force them to dumb down their games even further.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Didnt even notice the DLC came out. Still too much for the amount of time it takes to finish this.

Setre

So is this game any good? For the record I played, and love Alpha Protocol, so broken games don’t hinder my enjoyment.

rybrad

So is this game any good? For the record I played, and love Alpha Protocol, so broken games don’t hinder my enjoyment.
It is decent, some of the awful stuff (mainly combat mechanics) got some tweaks after launch that made them quite a bit better. The game really is more about exploring the world so if that is your thing you would probably like it. I haven't played the first Risen but it seems the general consensus is that it is better than Risen 2.

Sentenza

I have the feeling this game is going to bomb quite hard on consoles.
It's a late port and games with uneven production value tend to be *slaughtered* by the console-centric gaming press.

Seventy5

LI picked up the PS3 version today, Im a sucker for rpgs with low production values apparently. The fighting is kinda janky and it looks like a game released 4 years ago, but it has its hooks in me. I love rpgs where I can get my ass handed to me while exploring somewhere new. Shoulda been forty bucks though.

Early impressions (49 minutes of game time roughly), 360 version:

Visually its a huge step up from the ugly muddy mess that was Risen 1. World art is 100x better. Characters don't look great, but what can you do. They make ridiculous gestures when talking, similar to R1, but that's part of the charm for me. Dialogue is pretty funny, voice acting is acceptable.

From what I've played combat has been very simple (press X repeatedly) but I'm sure more combos and more difficult enemies are forth coming.

I recommend putting all other sound down to 80% otherwise it's hard to hear the excellent music. I also recommend turning camera speed up from .5 to at least 1, it's quite sluggish at its default.

Kevtones

I'll be snagging it later in the week. Early alt-language reviews seem to indicate port issues are still prevalent.

Don't give two fucks really because I had a great time with Risen on the first port round. Game had a legitmately great world and nice progression.

Hope the quests are on par with the first game. Also hope the PC improving patches found their way into the ports.

Hope the quests are on par with the first game.
They're not, unfortunately. Risen 2 has better graphics and a better setting but everything else is worse than the first game.

I still had some fun with game but they really fucked it up. If the Risen franchise is going further in this direction I hope that means that Piranha Bytes Gothic game will be more like Gothic 2.

Hammer24

Banned
360 version just arrived, came with dlc code, some pre-order bonus code (whatever this might be), and three art cards - very nice package all in all.
Will give impressions next week.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can buy this for $30. Should I bite?

Kevtones

2-3 hours in and I'm just haphazardly exploring the first island. Quest markers are vague but whatever... If the combat wasn't tactile this game would be dredge."

Note that the combat mechanics seem iffy at best although in their bullshit they require a different kind starategy.

2-3 hours in and I'm just haphazardly exploring the first island. Quest markers are vague but whatever... If the combat wasn't tactile this game would be dredge."

Note that the combat mechanics seem iffy at best although in their bullshit they require a different kind starategy.
Yeah I'm having more luck with the quest markers lately, they can be pretty hit or miss though.

Any help with lock picking? I can do the easy ones no problem, but this one Im doing now (skill check of 30) is giving me a real hard time. I'm not even sure I understand the general concept.

Edit: ah I think I've figured it out

Edit edit: game locked up on me for the first time in about 10 hours - not bad for a Euro jank game

Labadal

Any help with lock picking? I can do the easy ones no problem, but this one Im doing now (skill check of 30) is giving me a real hard time. I'm not even sure I understand the general concept.

Edit: ah I think I've figured it out

Edit edit: game locked up on me for the first time in about 10 hours - not bad for a Euro jank game

You can take all the time in the world with lock picking, it's all about doing it in the right order. You'll find it very easy to pick locks once you get the concept.

Great review, a very honest appraisal of this game. I'm away from home and I can't play it. This makes me sad. It's a way better port than the first one. Still its classic Euro RPG, plenty of jank, but plenty of old school heart to.

Great review, a very honest appraisal of this game. I'm away from home and I can't play it. This makes me sad. It's a way better port than the first one. Still its classic Euro RPG, plenty of jank, but plenty of old school heart to.

Yeah def a great underlooked game! Much better port then the first!

Tried getting this game yesterday. Target didnt have it and in an impulse i bought the piratey themed Two Worlds Two dlc. Now i regret not just picking up the now cheaper KOA reckoning instead.

clockpunk

Hey chaps - I could use some clarification here, please - do these ports have the later combat update added to the PC version from the get-go? I only ask, because I recall a dodge mechanic being incorporated (which was a bemoaned lack within the original release) with the patch, and cannot seem to find any mention of it in either the game itself or the manual.

Not that I've had a huge amount of time with it... but what I have spent is most certainly fun. A little janky, cheesy, and without the prettiest graphics, it may be, but the title has soul! I really like the fact that turkeys are included as scenery animals, as opposed to the default chickens. The devil is in the detail.

If only a tattoo system could have been implemented (unless... such a thing is, and I just haven't come across anything yet!).

Hammer24

Banned
5hours in:
- its eurojank alright, pop-in and once a slowdown
- as Neuromancer said, camera speed needs to be changed to at least .7, makes the game loads better
- graphics are are giant improvement over the first game - but in the end this gen hardware begins to show its age
- game itself is loads of fun, many quests to explore, challenging opponents, nicely executed pirate theme
- in the beginning you´re seriously short on money, which feels like it artifically holds your progress (by paying trainers) back
- quests are diverse enough, that the game doesn´t start to get boring - the typical just-one-more-quest-before-I´m-done effect sets in

So in the end, I´d seriously recommend it - and for 30 its a steal in terms of gameplay value you get.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Just FYI, AMD FINALLY released an updated CAP profile that improves crossfire support for this game. Also, for PC users, the modstarter file is a must along with the below mods:

- Anti warp
- Dynamic torch
- Unofficial patch
- Improved LOD

The above mods get rid of the warping tree leaves and pop in among other issues which improves the experience immensely. All these mods are accessible from within the modstarter, just read the simple instructions.

The modstarter file can be downloaded from here: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/foru...E-Risen-2-ModStarter-v-2-0-(Online-DB-version)

Hey chaps - I could use some clarification here, please - do these ports have the later combat update added to the PC version from the get-go? I only ask, because I recall a dodge mechanic being incorporated (which was a bemoaned lack within the original release) with the patch, and cannot seem to find any mention of it in either the game itself or the manual.
No I don't think so. =(

clockpunk

Yes, it works with controllers. On the 360 pad, Y plus left, right, or back will make you roll dodge.

If only this could be featured in the 360 version itself... :-/

Enjoying the game so much, I might just bite and pick up Risen 1 tomorrow after work (if I can find it nearby).

Hammer24

Banned
Yeah, the absence of dodging in the 360 release is painfull. Oh, and more gold finds would be nice. Even chests I open with high lockpick talent sometimes give less than 20 gold. :/

clockpunk

I'm just thinking of so many little things could have been implemented that would fully complement the experience of the game:

- the drinking involving picking up bottles and swigging to a rhythm (so as to down them).
- gold being called 'pieces' (of eight - the term used seems so... default/standard, which is a shame).
- the ability (via minigame) to potentially clip the coins (and potentially ruin them).
- ability to view treasure maps of different quality to try and work out where chests are buried. (as Red Dead Redemption)
- the dodging mechanic, as lamented above - here's hoping it will be patched in imminently.
- a pirate hook as an off-hand weapon, with a chance to disarm opponents/slash them.
- an empty bottle from used drinks for use as a dirty tactic throwing weapon.
- more clothing options would also be fun to really customise a character - I would like to see mine with black clothes adorned with golden Jolly Rogers! ;)
- the ability to shoot banana clusters/coconuts off trees (for pickup).
- gold teeth as loot!

Those, along with a few more drink types (hell, even just different types of rum - dark, light, white, spiced, coconut :p - could all have different potency levels, as well as serve as the base for different types of potion creation), and actual drunken effects/penalties from over imbibing within a short period, would truly make it an excellent title. They are not huge changes, of course, but they would really enhance the immersion of the game, in my honest opinion. Here's hoping for a sequel before too long, following the same theme!

daemissary

I think this game is getting criminally overlooked...I'm totally enjoying this even more than I enjoyed the Witcher 2 and I liked it a lot too.

Just finished the game, after about 23 hours. Really enjoyed it, as much as the first game if not more. Sure there was a lot of jank and the combat could have been a lot smoother but I thought the dialogue, characters and story were excellent.

Credits are rolling now, I'm hoping there's some post game stuff to do since I still have a few quests left undone.

Edit: no there is no post game stuff but if you wait until the end of the credits there is a little story bit.

I totally forgot this game was actually out on 360, so I managed to grab a copy today. I really liked #1, despite only playing the really bad 360 port, with the hyper sensitive camera control.

I am about an hour in so far and I am quite liking it. The combat feels a little sluggish, but still decent.

Though in regards to the combat, who was it that forgot to put dodge into the game/combat??? Feels like something I'd expect from a Konami port. If it was a Capcpom port, we know it's there..it just requires buying the post DLC to unlock it.

mujun

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Not quite the epic RPG it is trying to emulate (did a fairly big chunk of the content and finished it off at 22 hours) but lots of fun and chock full of great atmosphere and some honestly funny writing.

360 version (same applies to the PS3 version I'm sure) is pretty lackluster in terms of both performance and graphics. Frame rate is not so hot and some assets look really bad. Still it has its moments, beach at dusk and all that.

As others have mentioned it should have been cheaper at launch.

Top Bottom