• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Plant turned down a £500 million contract to reform Led Zeppelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmarc

Actually ripped up the contract in front of promoters, offered to him by Richard Branson according to the Mirror newspaper.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/led-zeppelins-robert-plant-turns-4595788

Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant has turned down a Whole Lotta Lolly – more than £500MILLION – to reform the band for the dearest tour in history.

The rock legend ripped up Sir Richard Branson’s contract for 35 dates in three cities in front of astonished promoters after the other members of the supergroup all signed up.

The tour would have earned singer Plant and fellow founders Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones £190million each before tax.

But Plant, 66, said he thought it wasn’t the right thing to do.

A source close to the group said: “They have tried to talk him round but there is no chance.

“His mind is made up and that’s that.”

Virgin tycoon Branson, 64, has been a lifelong fan of the band.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Too much hearsay "a source"...smh.

Also Plant knows his voice is shot, Page's skills are diminished (I still think he's the GOAT) and their drummer died in 1980.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can you imagine how satisfying it would be to be able to tear up a contract worth that much and just peace out?
Chuck-Taylor-Laughs-Then-Shakes-His-Head.gif

I really like that he's always doing new music (new for him, not for the world) instead of revisiting his classic, which will never live up to the audience's expectations anyway.

I heard an interview with him recently (unfortunately with Jian Ghomeshi) and the dude just wants to keep exploring music and enjoy his family.

Dishwalla

Banned
As much as I'd love to see a Zeppelin show live, I do agree with them not wanting to tour, out of respect for Bonzo.

Besides, even when the band was active they were known for turning down tours in favor of relaxation, there was one multi-million dollar tour that their manager Peter Grant turned down in the early 70s because the band wished to spend some time with their families.

Fuchsdh

good. don't like what the stones, who and McCartney have become.

Dunno what the Stones and Who have been doing but McCartney is still putting out decent tunes. The members of the Beatles never tried to go back into this "old glory" mode a lot of classic rockers shamble through, and I give them props for that.

He's 66. Let him just be.

I kinda see the point, but if the point did it - 35 gigs - which I know is a lot but even if they didnt need the money imagine what 500 mill could do in charity. He has earned his rest I know. Its just that... as an outsider with no monies its hard for me to understand.

I look at George Lucas giving all his 300 million to charity from Star Wars as one of the craziest fucking things that ever happened, and yet people talk 1/100 times as little about that as "george lucas ruined my childhood". these gigantius sums of money are hard to comprehend.

Dunno what the Stones and Who have been doing but McCartney is still putting out decent tunes. The members of the Beatles never tried to go back into this "old glory" mode a lot of classic rockers shamble through, and I give them props for that.

live i mean.

Akahige

You hear about this kind of thing every couple of years, he's not interested in it, you'd think they'd figure it out. Maybe he thinks the other guys are cunts eince he still does his own touring.

Kerned

Banned
He's already rich as fuck. He obviously wants to stay in retirement more than he wants another 100 million. Good on him.

I'm really glad he realizes that getting the band back together is a bad idea without Bonzo. I wish people would just shut up and let the man be. It's obvious he doesn't want to do it at this point.

Not let's take like 1% of this money and throw it to Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme to get a Them Crooked Vultures tour. Shit, probably don't need to pay them anything to get back together.

live i mean.

lol is this a joke? McCartney is still amazing live. Dude plays 30-40 songs every night and could probably play another 30-40 if he wanted to. I've seen The Who and The Stones recently and they were good, not stupendous but still entertaining acts. McCartney is just another level.

lol is this a joke? McCartney is still amazing live. Dude plays 30-40 songs every night and could probably play another 30-40 if he wanted to. I've seen The Who and The Stones recently and they were good, not stupendous but still entertaining acts. McCartney is just another level.

no

I'm sure people find them entertaining but they don't sound anything like they did.

StuBurns

Banned
I've actually seen McCartney and Plant.

Robert Plant has never wanted to do what McCartney does, which is essentially be a tribute band to what he was forty years earlier.

This public slinging back and forth is embarrassing too. Page needs to stop bitching publicly, it's certainly not going to make Plant come around. He's not interested, give up.

no

I'm sure people find them entertaining but they don't sound anything like they did.
His recent shows at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, Glastonbury and iTunes Festival were all pretty good, Plant still has his voice intact even if it does sound very different now.

I'd love to see Zep' live, it's a shame that he'd rather play Zep' tunes with his new band than his old band.

Wait a second... Plant plays Zeppelin songs with his new band but refuses to do a reunion tour?

If it's true that he plays Zeppelin songs, then all the talk about his voice or his age doesn't apply.

StuBurns

Banned
Wait a second... Plant plays Zeppelin songs with his new band but refuses to do a reunion tour?

If it's true that he plays Zeppelin songs, then all the talk about his voice or his age doesn't apply.
When I've seen him, he's done some Page and Plant arrangements, mostly of covers though.

I've actually seen McCartney and Plant.

Robert Plant has never wanted to do what McCartney does, which is essentially be a tribute band to what he was forty years earlier.

This public slinging back and forth is embarrassing too. Page needs to stop bitching publicly, it's certainly not going to make Plant come around. He's not interested, give up.

Its even worse looking on Page considering the few times they did get back together under the Zeppelin name he mostly shit it up. 2008 concert aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom