• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocky Movie Marathon

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I never watched any of the Rocky movies all the way through except maybe Rocky 4.

They had a movie marathon on today of the Rocky movies and I finally watched them.

Such amazing and inspirational films. The first movie had such great music and cinematography and that alone made it great but the movie itself is great of course.

I think I'm going to have that song, "Gonna Fly Now" stuck in my head for a while.

So much inspiration and feel good. I really needed that.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I don't know what it was with the 1970s but so many great movie franchises started out there whether it was Star Wars or Alien or Rocky or whatever.

It was an absolutely revolutionary decade for movies for some reason that I can't explain.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Loved Rocky 1-3. #4 was cheesy though I liked watching arrogant Apollo get killed. #5 was a disaster.

I liked #2 and 3 the best.

I think I saw the one where he fights due to a computer sim. Dont remember. Never saw any recent ones involving Creed and such.

Darkmakaimura

Loved Rocky 1-3. #4 was cheesy though I liked watching arrogant Apollo get killed. #5 was a disaster.

I liked #2 and 3 the best.

I think I saw the one where he fights due to a computer sim. Dont remember. Never saw any recent ones involving Creed and such.
They only did the Marathon to Rocky 4. So I wasn't able to see Rocky 5.

Darkmakaimura

The original Rocky was such a beautiful movie. I'm glad I sat through a marathon.

The original movie also reminds me that there was a time when there were movies that were released for adults.

It seems most big movies nowadays are made mainly for kids.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
#4 was cheesy though I liked watching arrogant Apollo get killed.
drew_scanlon.gif

Anyway...

Heavyweight Champion Tier:
Rocky
Rocky IV

Still Rocky Tier:
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky Balboa
Creed II

Poop with some corn tier:

Rocky V
Creed

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Yep, my wife had never seen the Rocky movies and I got her to watch them all leading up to the release of Creed. I skipped over Rocky 5 and went straight to Rocky Balboa (6th film), nothing was lost and she enjoyed them.
It's my first time watching these movies all the way through and it was a very good experience.

I really understand why people like these movies and why the original won all these awards.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Rocky V has its moments. I never found it nearly as bad as everyone else did.
Likewise, I thought that the Rocky character was great when he had something to fight for outside the ring. The first two movies he lives in poverty and is not an 'educated' member of society. Yet, he understands life through simplicity and in training. In 3 and 4 we start to see a gradually richer and well-spoken Rocky which appears to be more like the actor Stallone rather than the original character. In Rocky V, I felt they brought him back to humility (thanks to Paulie sorta screwing over their accounts and putting them back into poverty). I'm not sure why everyone disliked V so much either. Tommy Gunn? I mean, that was a twist on a protag for Rocky too. I'm sure it has something to do with Stallone himself disowning the movie too.

To OPs point, it's hard to understand Rocky without watching it from the first movie. Otherwise, you'd never known he was a 'collector' for Gazzo, his introduction to Adrian, where Paulie plays role in that and of course Mickey. Those who went on to watch Rocky Balboa probably has no idea who Spider Rico was either (same actor as the 1976 original).

I think 5 is a bit rough just off of storyline alone. Rocky & Family end up right back where they started and now he has CTE from all those beatings he took. Tries to pay it forward with training Tommy Gunn and that bites him in the ass. The final fight in the film doesn’t really bring any satisfaction since he still has all the same problems when he goes home.
The acting is what is usually brought up when people say they don’t like it. Can’t blame them since it’s not up to par with the first 3 movies.
Also factoring in Stallone’s son took a lot of shit playing his son in the movie. May have contributed to his early demise/family issues.

Darkmakaimura

You watched them all with commercial breaks? That is commitment.
I've been extremely depressed and I feel like watching TV pretty much so it wasn't much of a commitment.

I wanted to watch something that was also going to be something that was "feel goodie" and these movies did not disappoint.

Even with the commercial breaks, I really enjoyed watching all these movies back to back.

Lady Jane

Banned
The Rocky saga hasn't had a dud though some don't hold a candle to the greatest ones. I expect that to change since Creed III isn't going to have Stallone in it because of internal disputes and they're making a Drago spin-off. MGM is going to learn the hard way that Stallone was bringing people to theaters for Creed, not Jordan.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The Rocky saga hasn't had a dud though some don't hold a candle to the greatest ones. I expect that to change since Creed III isn't going to have Stallone in it because of internal disputes and they're making a Drago spin-off. MGM is going to learn the hard way that Stallone was bringing people to theaters for Creed, not Jordan.
Rocky V is a dud my lady.

Catphish

I don't know what it was with the 1970s but so many great movie franchises started out there whether it was Star Wars or Alien or Rocky or whatever.

It was an absolutely revolutionary decade for movies for some reason that I can't explain.
Music, too. The rock music that came out of the 70s is, in my opinion, the best ever made.

As much as I love the 80s and many of its films, the 70s has it beat in terms of storytelling and director vision.

To me, the 70s feel like the age of maturation of what started in the 60s, before the runaway capitalization and commercialization of the 80s got its hands on it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just my opinion but the Creed sagas to me were all duds. The last one I watched that I enjoyed that seemed to still have the Rocky spirit was Rocky Balboa. I saw Creed 1 & 2 in theaters and felt about the same as when I watched the latter made Rambo movies (4 & 5)...it felt empty. Stallone seemed like he's more of a prop but he didn't even write himself to be similar to Mickey. Just old and tired. I agree with Carl Weathers, he should have been recast in some shape/form to make a legit Creed movie. Again (IMO), seems like they created Creed without Creed. And a Rocky sequel without Rocky.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Music, too. The rock music that came out of the 70s is, in my opinion, the best ever made.

As much as I love the 80s and many of its films, the 70s has it beat in terms of storytelling and director vision.

To me, the 70s feel like the age of maturation of what started in the 60s, before the runaway capitalization and commercialization of the 80s got its hands on it.
Don't forget Bill Conti's score on the first 4. Although I think Alan Menken (of Disney fame) did the score or 5.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
This one clip makes Rocky V worth a watch. Stallone is active on Insta so you can apologize for your comments to him there.

This is not Rocky V, that is Rocky Balboa and it is a good scene. This is Rocky V

My PMs are open if you care to apologize my lady.

season 4 starz GIF by Outlander

Lady Jane

Banned
This is not Rocky V, that is Rocky Balboa and it is a good scene. This is Rocky V

My PMs are open if you care to apologize my lady.

season 4 starz GIF by Outlander

That’s not going to happy because I’m too petty to admit to my mistake. I will instead double down with some ad hominem after I scan your posting history.

kunonabi

Likewise, I thought that the Rocky character was great when he had something to fight for outside the ring. The first two movies he lives in poverty and is not an 'educated' member of society. Yet, he understands life through simplicity and in training. In 3 and 4 we start to see a gradually richer and well-spoken Rocky which appears to be more like the actor Stallone rather than the original character. In Rocky V, I felt they brought him back to humility (thanks to Paulie sorta screwing over their accounts and putting them back into poverty). I'm not sure why everyone disliked V so much either. Tommy Gunn? I mean, that was a twist on a protag for Rocky too. I'm sure it has something to do with Stallone himself disowning the movie too.

To OPs point, it's hard to understand Rocky without watching it from the first movie. Otherwise, you'd never known he was a 'collector' for Gazzo, his introduction to Adrian, where Paulie plays role in that and of course Mickey. Those who went on to watch Rocky Balboa probably has no idea who Spider Rico was either (same actor as the 1976 original).
Yeah, that's why I like V. The characterization, tone, and plot were much more in line with the first two films than 3 and 4 were. I also liked that it showed just how bad the fight with Drago messed him up. It does get a little hokey though.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I just saw Rocky V and yeah it just did not feel the same as the first four movies all. It was actually pretty depressing.

Last edited:
So much Rocky V discussion. Anyone watch the workprint version (Sometimes called the director's cut) of V? Yeah, it's still a downer movie and I prefer the final fight in the theatrical but otherwise it's an improvement and more emotionally resonant than the theatrical release. Shame it only exists in crap quality.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This one clip makes Rocky V worth a watch. Stallone is active on Insta so you can apologize for your comments to him there.

But...this is Rocky 6...great speak though indeed and felt like the original writing.
So much Rocky V discussion. Anyone watch the workprint version (Sometimes called the director's cut) of V? Yeah, it's still a downer movie and I prefer the final fight in the theatrical but otherwise it's an improvement and more emotionally resonant than the theatrical release. Shame it only exists in crap quality.
Where can the workprint version be found. Stallone will never release that.

But...this is Rocky 6...great speak though indeed and felt like the original writing.

Where can the workprint version be found. Stallone will never release that.
I don't know where to find it these days; you'll have to google. Though looks like it's streaming in parts on dailymotion and those kinda places so that's an option. Just know every version available is in trash quality. =P

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Side note, read up on Tommy Morrison. Crazy back and forth about HIV or no HIV, but then died dull blown AIDs. Also, the guy who plays Rockys loan shark boss died in 1989. He had hemophilia and died after falling.

Doom85

That’s not going to happy because I’m too petty to admit to my mistake. I will instead double down with some ad hominem after I scan your posting history.

Ah, see, you had an opportunity to save face by saying you refuse to acknowledge the existence of “Rocky 5” and thus you consider Rocky Balboa the actual fifth movie.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Catphish

I started re-watching them all from the beginning a couple weeks back. The first three are all great, but 1 is champ.

Tonight, I watched the Rocky vs Drago Director's Cut. It was... pretty good. The added footage gave some welcome depth and substance to certain scenes, but not all of it was an improvement. Some would have been better left out. Ultimately, I think the original is superior.

4 is a weird movie for me. I was 12 when I first saw it on the big screen, and a movie like that for a boy like me at that age.. fuckin nuclear. I loved it. But even then, I didn't buy the Russian crowd cheering for Rocky and chanting his name. I thought that was a bit cheesy. I've seen it many times since, and it kinda gets worse every time I watch it. I love it, but that shit's cheesier than a Philly. It doesn't deserve the amount of times I've watched it, and I'll watch it again. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

So 5 is next, and I think some procrastination is in order.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I didn't watch the first Rocky until well into adulthood - I was 24 or 25. I was amazed that Stallone had written the screenplay, and that he could be such a magnetic actor - as the only stuff I had seen him in to that point was mindless action vehicles.

Enjoy the marathon. I personally don't like all of them, but the ones I do like I think are damned good.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Anyone see Creed III yet?
It was hard to get past
a guy straight out of prison getting a title shot in his first professional match and beating the guy?! What sort of training was Majors doing while in prison?

DKehoe

It was hard to get past
a guy straight out of prison getting a title shot in his first professional match and beating the guy?! What sort of training was Majors doing while in prison?
I saw it last night.

Yeh it's a little hard to believe that
a guy with zero professional fights, even if he was a Golden Gloves champion 18 years ago, could be sanctioned for a title fight. But as the film points out the whole series comes from Apollo Creed giving a nobody a title shot, so I guess there is somewhat of a precedent in that world. Although Rocky was a professional and didn't win the fight.

I still enjoyed it overall though.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It was hard to get past
I think the movie was ok. I did watch it and thought it was alright. I think it is weird that they cut Stallone out or he isn't part of it at all. The title fight is fine, but I think what they should have done is show the old friend get an undercard fight initially, have the champ lose, then have new guy go get the title back. That probably removes the incentive for Creed to come back. But there could contrive some reason for Creed to fight his friend. I thought it was silly for Creed to get mad his old friend won the title when he set up the card, and the heel turn was dumb too.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The Rocky movies are worth a watch for really anyone who appreciates good cinematic writing, location, character actors & great leads and overall a story which continues to only get better toward 4 (even though I'll admit I'm one of the few who liked Rocky V).

Anyway, in the Mexican theaters last June they ran Rocky 4 the Director's Cut in theaters. If you haven't seen the director's cut of Rocky 4...you ought to. They didn't just remove the robot (which Stallone stated he was doing prior to releasing it) but there are scenes put back in which give a different context to parts of the movie.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
have watched all the mainline rocky films.
I know IV is the most OTT rocky but damn it's fun and Vince Dicola kicks ass on the soundtrack.

I need to rewatch V but I did finally get around to watching 1 and Balboa

yes I watched rocky so Long ago I forgot it , but IV I watched over again ang again as teenager that and Rocky 3

Creed one and two are good films also haven't seen three.

Catphish

Vince Dicola kicks ass on the soundtrack.
A major bonus for me. I bought the soundtrack after seeing the movie, and fell in love with Training Montage and War. Then a year or two later, I find he did the soundtrack for Transformers the Movie. Bought that, too.

I made a mixtape of his work from those two soundtracks and it was probably the most-played tape in my collection. I've since become a fan of his life's work.

If you haven't, seek out the work he did for the Angry Birds: Transformers soundtrack. It's fucking excellent, and far better than it has any right to be.

A taste:

Mr Blobby

I saw it last night.

Yeh it's a little hard to believe that
a guy with zero professional fights, even if he was a Golden Gloves champion 18 years ago, could be sanctioned for a title fight. But as the film points out the whole series comes from Apollo Creed giving a nobody a title shot, so I guess there is somewhat of a precedent in that world. Although Rocky was a professional and didn't win the fight.

I still enjoyed it overall though.
haha yeah that's true, but Rocky was still doing local/gym fights... but hey movie magic! Yeah, it's always fun watching it build into the final showdown!
The daughter will be next in line? Be interesting

Darkmakaimura

Now that I've seen all the Rocky movies, here is how I have them ranked from my favorite to my least favorite.

1. Rocky IV
2. Rocky III
3. Rocky
4. Rocky II
5. Rocky Balboa
6. Rocky V

GMCamaro

I really enjoyed watching Rocky I and II back to back. In my opinion, Rocky II was as much Apollo’s story as it was Rocky’s. He went from being the cocky and self-assured champion in the first movie to fighting for his reputation and legacy in the second. He HAD to fight Rocky again, there was no choice. His detractors would never let him rest if he didn’t. He couldn’t believe how a nobody could come up and go the distance with him; he had to face Rocky to prove whether it was a fluke or not.

Also, killing him in Rocky IV was the biggest mistake of the franchise.

daveonezero

Banned
I watched them all a few years back. Real enjoyable to see the whole arc. And then to see it really recover in Creed 1 and 2 as far as movie quality.

Top Bottom