• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone Ranks All Zelda Games

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
List is genius

1. Tears of the Kingdom (i made the op)
2. Breath of the Wild
3. The Wind Waker
4. A Link to the Past
5. Ocarina of Time
6. Link's Awakening
7. Majora's Mask
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. Echoes of Wisdom
10. Twilight Princess
11. Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
12. A Link Between Worlds
13. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
14. The Minish Cap
15. Skyward Sword
16. Phantom Hourglass
17. Spirit Tracks
18. Four Swords Adventures
19. Tri Force Heroes

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I... don't actually hate it as much as I thought I would.

Was always gonna be the new ones at the top but they've correctly dropped the DS games towards the bottom. Not sure the OG should be as high as it is but historical importance and all that. Not played EoW yet so no idea how good/bad that ranking is yet.

It could honestly have been so much worse coming from them.

sudolicious

It's a ridiculous list. I don't know where to start honestly. TotK on #1 is pretty much when you can comfortably stop reading. Echoes on #9, before TP, ALBW and others, goes to show again, that this list is nothing but personal bias.

There's nothing wrong about making lists of your favorite games of course. But that's all that is, and therefore it's as interesting and noteworthy as some random Zelda list that got posted to 4chan, Twitter or Nude Africa. I regret having wasted time on reading it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
this list is nothing but personal bias.

This is literally all game rankings lists though. The subtitle is "our picks", they're not going to just put them in Metacritic order.

I probably agree that Echoes is too high, just haven't played it yet. But not one Zelda ranking is objectively correct.

Apart from mine, and LA is at the top.

Robb

Gold Member
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

I’d flip around the majority personally.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's a ridiculous list. I don't know where to start honestly. TotK on #1 is pretty much when you can comfortably stop reading. Echoes on #9, before TP, ALBW and others, goes to show again, that this list is nothing but personal bias.

There's nothing wrong about making lists of your favorite games of course. But that's all that is, and therefore it's as interesting and noteworthy as some random Zelda list that got posted to 4chan, Twitter or Nude Africa. I regret having wasted time on reading it.
best open world ever plus sales annnnnnd scores

people dont even buy the ones with the old dungons no more

sudolicious

This is literally all game rankings lists though

I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between simply putting out a list of your favorites versus a curated list that is based on some form of criteria (or the culmination of these). I.e., how important was the game, how much did it sell, how influential was it and so on. Of course there will always be some kind of bias, that's natural. But it's at least worth a shot to go beyond "i dunno i just like it".

From some random YouTuber, whom I'd subscribe to because I agree with his opinions or taste, a list of his favorites would of course be enough. From an actual outlet (and a new dedicated thread) I do expect more.

people dont even buy the ones with the old dungons no more

You actually almost had me with your first sentence, I'm really bad at detecting bait :3

AV

I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between simply putting out a list of your favorites versus a curated list that is based on some form of criteria (or the culmination of these). I.e., how important was the game, how much did it sell, how influential was it and so on. Of course there will always be some kind of bias, that's natural. But it's at least worth a shot to go beyond "i dunno i just like it".

Then you'd probably still have BotW/TotK at the top :messenger_tears_of_joy: or OoT which is an even more boring choice in 2024 honestly.

Think my biggest criticism is probably ALBW too low, replayed that thing recently and it's a real masterclass in game design.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
1. A Link to the Past
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

I still haven't been able to get through a snoozer full 3D Zelda game. Or Link's Awakening (Switch that is, never tried the original).

sudolicious

Then you'd probably still have BotW/TotK at the top

Well yes, BotW deserves to be Top3. It's not my favorite Zelda (not even my GotY), but you certainly can make a reasonable argument for why it should rank that high.

Making such an argument for TotK is borderline impossible. Somewhere between 3-8 would probably be reasonable, even if I'd personally disagree.

OoT which is an even more boring choice in 2024 honestly.

Maybe, but I'll take boring over boneheaded.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wind waker and tokt are probably the zeldas i enjoyed the most so i can get behind that, but i understand people being mad that ww and tokt are so high in the list.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
I appreciate that Links Awakening is ranked so highly. However, you can’t convince me that Tears, BOTW, and Wind Waker are better than Ocarina and LTTP. When did they start covering video games?

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Using the term personal bias to denigrate a list obviously based on the author's opinion is insane. Regardless TotK is the best one in my book. Can't wait to see what the next mainline Zelda is.

sigmaZ

LOL Okay...

I don't like comparing 2D games to 3D games. They're completely different types of games and lie within different technological limitations and design philosophy.
Out of the 3D games Tears and Wind Waker were the best experiences I had. No nostalgia or anything, I just liked the gameplay (Though tears was enhanced through duping tbh). Back in the day I got bored of Ocarina before I could finish it, got bored of Twilight not to far in because of how slow it was, and never have given Skyward Sword a chance do to how slow the prologue looks and all the backtracking it apparently has. Breath of the Wild was fun for 10 hours or so, but I found it lacking in many ways and just wanted it to be over. Mobility was the main thing that enhanced TotK's experience for me. Being able ride and fly around allowed me to freely explore the world at a much better pace.
Out of the 2D games I've played, A Link to the Past is still the best next to Link's Awakening. It just has a great overall atmosphere, doesn't beat around the bush, and has classic Zelda dungeons. Can't wait for them to remake it someday. I just don't want them to use the Link's Awakening visuals though as I feel that would kill the darker atmosphere.

Terrible list. The series has strayed so far from what I actually loved about it, like a lot of games have nowadays (looking at you Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, and countless others).

Getting old sucks.

Not my ranking but not a terrible ranking.

I definitely didn't like the DS games or skyward sword much so I agree with them being low, didn't get to play triforce heroes so can't speak to that.

I'd arrange the top 10 differently but it's not a terrible top 10...I might switch link between worlds into it however.

I'm really having a lot of fun in Echoes of Wisdom but it's too early to say where I'd rank it. Great game tho!

Somehow Ocarina of Time being #5 doesn't sit well with me. That game changed the game back then. In a way, breath of the Wild was also more impactful than TotK.
Also...The Wind Waker being at #3 below both Switch games? damn...

Weird top 5 tbh.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Somehow Ocarina of Time being #5 doesn't sit well with me. That game changed the game back then. In a way, breath of the Wild was also more impactful than TotK.
Also...The Wind Waker being at #3 below both Switch games? damn...

Weird top 5 tbh.
I don’t think the younger generation understand how big of an impact OoT had.

Even more than Mario 64, it was the first time that a console game absolutely eviscerated comparable games on PC. Nothing came close. The scope, mechanics and experience were simply unmatched. It changed the medium.

Consoles were always able to produce better fighters or, perhaps, driving games, but that was only due to demand. It just wasn’t what you picked up a PC for.

But for the first time, if you wanted to play the very best rpg in the world, you needed a console.

Delt31

Terrible list. The series has strayed so far from what I actually loved about it, like a lot of games have nowadays (looking at you Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, and countless others).

Getting old sucks.

This exactly. Young kids now are experiencing a diff type of zelda game which is fine but I'm just happy to have experienced the true zelda. OOT was an absolute revolution for not just the series but industry. Even more than BOTW which was open world just applied to zelda. Speaking of, BOTW was an interesting step in a diff direction and I enjoyed it with my daughter but Tears of the Kingdom really went over the top and I didn't like it.

Not surprised the same magazine that put the boston bomber on their cover like he was some model also has terrible taste in zelda. Despicable.

Last edited:

Majukun

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Breath of the Wild
4. A Link to the Past
5. Tears of the Kingdom
6. Link's Awakening
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Echoes of Wisdom
9. Twilight Princess
10. A Link Between Worlds
11. Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
12. The Legend of Zelda
13. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
14. The Minish Cap
15. Skyward Sword
16. The Wind Waker
17. Spirit Tracks
18. Four Swords Adventures
19. Tri Force Heroes

cireza

Only the first two Zelda games (NES) are worth playing in my opinion. Truly excellent games that stand the test of time.

Other games are somewhat tolerable, although targeted ad a much more casual crowd, but both open-world games (BotW TotK) have been some of the worst, boring, tedious, repetitive shit I have ever played.

So basically :
1 - Zelda 1
1 - Zelda 2
end of list.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
TOTK tons of stuff to do vilages npcs physics gameplay best sandbox all times Im sorry my friends its all true
Do you know what would have been so cool in the game, idk if you'll agree. Somewhere you find a sheika device and Link discovers it lets him play music. So you treasure hunt all the previous games Zelda songs from all over the map!

TotK could have been a celebration of the Zelda universe instead of another version of apocalyptic Hyrule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom