• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rome: Total War demo

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
You need to use Alcohol 120% to extract it because the rar has a mdf file in it. You can either use Alcohol 120% to make a CD or you can "mount" it on a fake CD-Rom and it will just use the HD.

Since when do demos require this of a user? Smells like warez.

epmode

i downloaded it from here earlier today. not sure if it's still up, but it's probably a very active torrent.

installed fine, with no need for alcohol 120%.

Mr Gump

Banned
epmode said:
i downloaded it from here earlier today. not sure if it's still up, but it's probably a very active torrent.

installed fine, with no need for alcohol 120%.
"ERROR: You're banned from this tracker, shithead."

WTF HAHA

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yes!!! I'm getting above normal speeds for my connection too, around 230 kb/s!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How big is the file in total? I'll be downloading this off fileplanet later today, and would like to know if i'll get a chance to play it before i go to bed ;)

Some screens

rtw2.jpg

rtw1.jpg

ElyrionX

I get a "Compressed folder is invalid or corrupted" error when I try to open the downloaded file. Anyone got the same thing?

SyNapSe

ElyrionX said:
I get a "Compressed folder is invalid or corrupted" error when I try to open the downloaded file. Anyone got the same thing?

I did, and I was using WinRAR to open it. I'm going to try downloading it again, and see what happens.

IJoel

SyNapSe said:
I did, and I was using WinRAR to open it. I'm going to try downloading it again, and see what happens.

Your download probably never finished and the connection dropped. It did happen to me. Try downloading it again.

i've been playing medieval total war recently, i'm not doing ANY battles myself and i have all of north africa and all of western europe up to around switzerland, its fun having your own puppet pope. DO AS I SAY BIATCH!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I had a quick go of the demo last night, the number of units on screen is really impressive. Though I didn't really get to play properly, so I've not yet made my mind up on the gameplay side of things..

It's very polished, though they never got rid of that "ever horse's head swaying in the the exact same way all the time" problem.

Mr Gump

Banned
Ok i had a go of this and i can say that i didnt find it anything special at all. The camera is annoying at times and my units run away? when i tell them to fight?

That is going to be annoying.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mr Gump said:
Ok i had a go of this and i can say that i didnt find it anything special at all. The camera is annoying at times and my units run away? when i tell them to fight?

That is going to be annoying.

Your units can lose morale and desert. You have a rallying call that your general can use, but you also have to use your units wisely i.e. don't put them in a situation they feel they can't win. It was funny seeing the romans flee when i got my elephants in action ;)

I'm not defending the game as such, though. I haven't played it enough to make any comment. I played the Hannibal campaign on very easy, and found it ludicrously easy, so I'll up the difficulty, and hopefully it'll get better. I really want this for the city campaigns, laying siege etc.

xabre

Banned
gofreak said:
It's very polished, though they never got rid of that "ever horse's head swaying in the the exact same way all the time" problem.

There's an option in the settings called 'Desynchronise Animations', I think that takes care of it.

played the Hannibal campaign on very easy, and found it ludicrously easy, so I'll up the difficulty, and hopefully it'll get better.

Well um yeah :/

Try it on Hard (which I win about half the time) or try Very Hard for a real challenge.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xabre said:
There's an option in the settings called 'Desynchronise Animations', I think that takes care of it.

Thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully it won't put too much load on GPU/CPU (i assume that's why it isn't on by default!)

And yes, I know, what more could I expect from "very easy" :p I always start games on the lowest difficulty for some reason.

Mr Gump

Banned
gofreak said:
Your units can lose morale and desert. You have a rallying call that your general can use, but you also have to use your units wisely i.e. don't put them in a situation they feel they can't win. It was funny seeing the romans flee when i got my elephants in action ;)

I'm not defending the game as such, though. I haven't played it enough to make any comment. I played the Hannibal campaign on very easy, and found it ludicrously easy, so I'll up the difficulty, and hopefully it'll get better. I really want this for the city campaigns, laying siege etc.

Ok i played a bit more and im coming around towards the game a bit.

The camera still irritates me though. Im not good at getting the best angle on things at such a quick demand.

Also i hate how during an attack half of the group will just stand there while the front line do battle. Is there an 'aggressive stance' setting i can put my units on?

xabre

Banned
Mr Gump said:
Also i hate how during an attack half of the group will just stand there while the front line do battle.

My troops are running way, the camera sucks, the rear ranks wont fight, blah blah. So negative. Tell you what, the reason the rear ranks can't participate in the battle is because, wait for it.......the front ranks are in their way. I mean what the hell are they supposed to do, fly over the top of them to fight? Units of the time were usually several ranks deep and the role of the rear ranks was to push forward in order to withstand infantry/cavalry charges.

DarrenS

Just had a quick go. The first two games didn't really appeal but since everybody has been getting their knickers in a twist over this game I thought I'd try it out and see what the fuss was about.

Well, seems to me that if you like the first two then you'll like this but vice versa. Certainly nothing to get excited about if you weren't a fan of the first two.

I'll persevere a bit more though, perhaps it will hook me.

Top Bottom