• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romhacking.net is closing up shop...and that sucks

VGEsoterica

Whether you downloaded 100 patches from RHDN or 1 or maybe just casually heard of the site it's been one of those decades old sources for all the weird / fun / better than the actual game / WTF rom hacks for pretty much every popular and NOT popular retro game out there including TONS of translations patches giving life to games that never really had a chance outside of Japan.

Sadly seems to be a mix of getting too big and the copyright claims inundating the site along with the classic "drama" that seems to permeate so many sub-groups of gaming enthusiasts. You hate to see if but you aren't surprised when it happens!

But I guess pour one out for the longest running rom hack repository on the internet. Romhacking.net was for all time but just not for this time

Surprised it took this long to be honest. The amount of shitfights they were starting with romhackers and the insane dogmatic politics over there was bound to destroy the place sooner or later.

I hope we don't lose their database though, that would be terrible.

VGEsoterica

Surprised it took this long to be honest. The amount of shitfights they were starting with romhackers and the insane dogmatic politics over there was bound to destroy the place sooner or later.

I hope we don't lose their database though, that would be terrible.
The constant infighting is exhausting. It ruins every community it seems

VGEsoterica

RHDN has been archived here:

To be clear for mods, that's an archive of patches for ROMs, not an archive of ROMs themselves.

I didn't approve of Nightcrawler's management of the RHDN site, but I do respect what he did for the retro gaming community.
I just hope that new rom hacks moving forward aren’t on fractured sites where you’d just as soon miss them as find them

Phase

Thanks for everything. You were a great resource.

Beer Salute GIF

BlackTron

Interestingly enough. The owner of romhacks.org also runs a different site that has games pre-patched. Which makes some rom hackers uncomfortable even if they are different domains. If that other site gets attacked, they could easily become connected. Most ROM hackers insist on applying the patch to a game you already acquired. So I wonder how this will really play out, maybe a new alternative will arise.

00_Zer0

Interestingly enough. The owner of romhacks.org also runs a different site that has games pre-patched. Which makes some rom hackers uncomfortable even if they are different domains. If that other site gets attacked, they could easily become connected. Most ROM hackers insist on applying the patch to a game you already acquired. So I wonder how this will really play out, maybe a new alternative will arise.
Yeah, including the game rom with a rom hack patch is a one way ticket to legal troubles.

_Ex_

From what I understand, Spike doesn't list prepatched games on a certain site that romanticizes CDs, wherein the patch creator explicitly requests not to, via their patch documentation. That said, the connectivity between that site and the patch-only site, while tenuous technically, could indeed be legally connected.

BlackTron

From what I understand, Spike doesn't list prepatched games on a certain site that romanticizes CDs, wherein the patch creator explicitly requests not to, via their patch documentation. That said, the connectivity between that site and the patch-only site, while tenuous technically, could indeed be legally connected.

Indeed, I can tell you that if I made patches for Nintendo games, I wouldn't want any connection whatsoever with someone who hosts pre-patched ROMS, whether they're mine or not lol

Why'd I have a feeling you ware talking about Spike? 🤣

IIRC their other site stores the ROMs elsewhere (like a different server), and at one point you needed random keys to get links. I guess them having both that and this new site could make some a bit flustered, but who else is really doing this type of stuff for sake of retro gaming?

As for the legality stuff...personally I wouldn't mind if every Nintendo, most (not all) SEGA etc. games were removed from these sites, because those publishers still actively publish those games and re-release them semi-periodically in their own packages & services. Basically, those games aren't hard to find legally at all, and are fairly priced.

But there are SOOO many other games which are basically abandonware, that will never likely be published again, never seen again, never get official translations in other languages, and if you can find copies of them they command crazy prices ($200+ for a single game, in some cases reaching thousands). And if it's a rare arcade game that never got a (good) home port? Good luck finding a working machine...that doesn't cost $5,000+....

I think for that stuff, these types of preservation sites are essential and it's a shame certain companies want to take them down wholesale. That's leaving a ton of games lost to the void of time, arguably great stuff that's better than a lot of games coming out today. So a small suggestion to such sites: if you HAVE to have old Nintendo, SEGA, SIE etc. games hosted (wouldn't recommend for above reasons but hey), store them on isolate servers, separate websites, with keys as links to downloads. If you're gonna host those or other games on the main site, make sure they're most likely abandonware or games that will likely never get translations, official re-releases or new copies at normal prices.

Because in those cases, I say it's fair game to host those games. Their publisher doesn't care, the publisher may not even exist any longer, and IP rights could be tied up among a crap ton of different companies in who-knows-what fields (this was the case with System Shock for a very long time).

VGEsoterica

“Romanticizes CDs” 🤣 nice veiled reference

Top Bottom