• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Alien: Isolation - Ten Years On

T-0800

Too scary for me, but I bought it anyway to support the effort
I did the same.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

RAIDEN1

It goes without saying this is probably the greatest Alien game of all time, when you consider what came before it and what came after it, who knew 10 years on we haven't even got a sequel, that being said I am looking forward to the movie later today in the cinema, even if I do look away when it comes to the chest-busting scenes... :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_face_screaming:

simpatico

Gold Member
Gotta a couple hours in a new playthrough. Man the visuals hold up 100%. Amazing what they achieved in that area. Also love the locomotion. Still, I'm already uninstalling because I just still can't enjoy the "being chased by invincible enemy" mechanic. RE Village is about the most I can tolerate. 1 section. Even then, wish it wasn't there.

Ulysses 31

Still, I'm already uninstalling because I just still can't enjoy the "being chased by invincible enemy" mechanic. RE Village is about the most I can tolerate. 1 section. Even then, wish it wasn't there.
That's what drags it down to a 7/10 max game for me, just too many times where there's nothing you can do but wait for the Alien to finish its patrol. Especially on Nightmare where resources are even more scarce.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I was never able to get past the android section, not sure how far into the game that section was and ended up binning it in frustration, kinda like the barn section in RE4 FFS, wish the Devs added in a "I suck please take me outa here" option to skip ahead to the next checkpoint or something.

Will deffo purchase the remastered VR version to give it another go, I imagine VR will be the definitive way to play this game

MiguelItUp

I started replaying this a few weeks ago just because my hype for Romulus was through the roof. It reignited my hated for the fact that we never got a sequel. It feels absolutely criminal in my mind. The IP was handled with such care here that it truly felt inspiring. The environments, the sounds, the music, the tone and vibe. It just all fit so incredibly well.

There was a "leak" recently claiming that one was finally coming and everything, and as much as I wanted to believe it, I didn't. Primarily because of the whole "source is believe me" thing. Maybe Romulus' success could change that. I certainly hope so.

SCB3

Legit the scariest game I've played, this in the Dark with Headphones on, amazing

Still never finished it, I grabbed it on PS5 recently for a Platinum playthrough at some point, maybe a nice Halloween game

I started replaying this a few weeks ago just because my hype for Romulus was through the roof. It reignited my hated for the fact that we never got a sequel. It feels absolutely criminal in my mind. The IP was handled with such care here that it truly felt inspiring. The environments, the sounds, the music, the tone and vibe. It just all fit so incredibly well.

There was a "leak" recently claiming that one was finally coming and everything, and as much as I wanted to believe it, I didn't. Primarily because of the whole "source is believe me" thing. Maybe Romulus' success could change that. I certainly hope so.
The fact it didn't even get a VR version alone is criminal much less a proper sequel, and this is from someone that enjoyed Fireteam Elite

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I could not finish that game, I quit halfway through.

I was exploring a new area which looked like a cafeteria when that fucking alien dropped from a vent right next to me.
I was crouched behind cover so it did not see me.
It just stood there inches from me sorta looking around then scampered off.

My heart almost exploded and I quit.

I guess it's the nicest compliment you can give; "I quit your game because it's just too good." 😄

Edit: And no fucking way am I playing this in VR.

Last edited:
If you play on PC, use the untethered Alien mod. It makes it more 'realistic' and unpredictable because the Alien doesn't rubber band to you.
When the alien shows up, you genuinely don't expect it.

Trilobit

Tried this in VR. I noped-out even before the alien turned up.

I saw it was on Playstation Plus so I downloaded it and started playing. Had to stop pretty quickly as I felt I ain't in the right mindset right now for that level of suspense, hearing something in the vents above whilst walking around in dark corridors. I would never dare to try it out in VR, the sound design was immersive enough.

Reactions: Isa

MiguelItUp

Legit the scariest game I've played, this in the Dark with Headphones on, amazing

Still never finished it, I grabbed it on PS5 recently for a Platinum playthrough at some point, maybe a nice Halloween game

The fact it didn't even get a VR version alone is criminal much less a proper sequel, and this is from someone that enjoyed Fireteam Elite
Yeah, no kidding. I've heard the mods at least work pretty well. But still, it definitely deserved something more official. Yeah, I REALLY enjoyed Fireteam Elite, and I'm excited that there's plans for a sequel for that in the works. I just want more Aliens goodness.

But come on man, Alien Isolation needs as sequel, it's insane. No other Alien game so far has the same amount of immersion and care that it does.

salva

Still haven't seen the Xenomorph. But I just did the part where you're walking through a transit area full of windows with space and the planet in the background and you see the Torrens fly past. As it flies past, the music and sound of the shutters closing and her breathing + the lights going out gave me the absolute chills.

I'm playing this in my home theater on a 100"+ projector screen, high volume (sub was shaking) and I am in absolute fear. Some of the best sound in a game I've heard for a while.
Again, still cannot believe I never played this all this years even when it was right in front of me on gamepass. The 60FPS boost is also really nice!

RickSanchez

This game is still the gold standard for me in so many aspects:
- Graphics that are simple yet look amazing and 100% hold up 10 years later
- Immersive horror experience, achieved not (or very rarely) by jump scares, but more through sheer tension & anxiety, built using environmental storytelling
- Fully faithful adaptation, basically a perfect recreation of the environments from the source material

Top Bottom