• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Digimon World: Do You Eat Shit?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
o5cStLHl.jpg

Introduction
Digimon World was the first major Digimon video-game to be released in the west, and was heavily influenced by the original virtual pet. While many likely bought it expecting a game along the lines of Pokemon, such as myself, we were instead treated to a unique, yet punishingly difficult and obtuse, experience. Digimon World received rather bad reviews all around due to its learning curve, but became somewhat of a cult classic. Future Digimon games went a different route, however, aiming closer to Pokemon's style, until just recently with Digimon re:Digitize. It's a shame that it took Bandai this long to return to the format (although World 2 and World 3 are in my opinion equally quirky but fun games in their own right), because while World 1 was rough in many places, it was still an interesting game that didn't deserve to be completely abandoned like it was. I've yet to play re:Digitize, but I'm anxiously waiting for the translation patch to see if it can live up and surpass the original.

In Japan, the game was released shortly before the anime revived Digimon's popularity, while in America, the game hit during its peak right around the airing of Digimon. So, for most western players, who weren't as familiar with the Digimon franchise prior to the television show like Japanese players, a few things may have come across as odd. How come Agumon doesn't always evolve into Greymon? Why does Tsunomon not evolve into Gabumon? Why is MetalGreymon purple? Where's Tai? The European version was even worse, as it featured the Anime's Partner Digimon on the box, even though Gomamon is completely absent, and Tentomon is only an NPC.

Unfortunately, Digimon World...all three of them...are quite rare, and expensive to find, so many who were introduced to Digimon later on likely never got to experience it. Furthermore, despite being what I'd consider decently popular, they've never been put on the PSN, at least in the West. I believe it may have something to do with perhaps Disney owning the rights to Digimon, but as far as I know an official reason has never been given. Perhaps with Digimon Tri's release, the popularity revival may finally see a movement to put them on the PSN.

The game perhaps is at its best now in this current age. The game was quite obtuse, and in the early days where the internet was young, the best source of information was the official guidebook, which was woefully incomplete and in some cases, wrong. Even now, there are still many elements of Digimon World which aren't quite understood, and people are always finding new little tricks and figuring out how the mechanics work. It's perhaps quite a deep game? Perhaps deep is the wrong word, but nowadays where everything about a game is known within days, it's nice to have an old game with an air of obtuseness to it.

Being a Digimon Tamer
In Digimon World, your Digimon goes through five stages of life: Baby -> Training -> Rookie -> Champion -> Ultimate. Depending on how you raise it, excluding Baby -> Training which always follows one of four linear evolution patterns, you can end up with a variety of different Digimon. Getting the Digimon you want can be a challenging task, and the game does not tell you how to do so. It is quite likely that many first-time players, unaware of the various game mechanics, will end up with a Numemon or Sukamon, weak Champion Digimon who literally eat shit. And if you're lucky enough to get a decent Champion Digimon, good luck seeing it live long enough and training it well so that it reaches its Ultimate Level.

There are a variety of factors when raising Digimon, the most important being "Care Mistakes". Care Mistakes are errors made when raising a Digimon, and can and will prevent them from reaching many of the Ultimate Level Digimon, although a few actually evolve WHEN Care Mistakes are made enough times. When your Digimon is hungry, if you don't feed it fast enough, that's a Care Mistake. If your Digimon needs to poop, and you don't make it to the bathroom in time, that's a Care Mistake. If your Digimon grows tired after a round of training, and begins to "sweat", that's a Care Mistake. If you don't let your Digimon sleep, that's a Care Mistake. And if your Digimon gets sick, injured, or loses a battle, those are also Care Mistakes. As you can see, there are a LOT of opportunities for you to fuck up in this game.

The next important factor when raising a Digimon is its statistics. These are HP, MP, Offense, Defense, Brains, and Speed. They are increased by training at the Green Gym, or other locations, as well as battling against other Digimon. Focusing on certain stats increases the likelihood of evolving to certain Digimon, however, so much of your time during the game will be spent at the Green Gym, training up your Digimon so it can evolve. There is also Weight, which effects evolution and lifespan, as well as happiness and disclipline. Happy Digimon live longer, but may not listen to you. Disciplined Digimon live shorter lives, but are more obedient. It's up to you to reach a balance depending on the situation.

Even after all this is taken in account, evolution still seems to have somewhat of a randomness factor to it, with the various parameters factoring into evolution in different ways. Sometimes, you'll get the Digimon you want by meeting the requirements, or you'll end up with a different Digimon, because you also met a requirement for it that overrode the other requirements. There are items that can induce specific evolution, but finding them is no easy task, and some can only be obtained through hacking. The exact mechanics of evolution are still being figured out to this day, so it takes quite a bit of trial and error. Furthermore, unless you're using an emulator, you can only save when your Digimon sleeps, so it's rather difficult to save-scum. Getting all the Digimon is quite a feat.

Digimon do not live forever: they die after a certain amount of days, depending on how well you raise them, or if they lose three fights. You then must start over by choosing one of four eggs, and raising a Digimon from its Baby Stage. HOWEVER, by increasing your Tamer Rank through evolving enough Digimon, winning tournaments, and gaining medals through accomplishments, your Baby Digimon will inherit a percentage of the stats the previous Digimon had. But, of course, raising your Tamer Rank in the first place requires a lot of work.

Battles in Digimon World are done in real-time, with your Digimon moving on its own. As the Tamer, you can give it commands, and feed it items, but it does all the work. As you increase its Brains, you are able to give it more specific commands, including which techniques to use, but you'll always be at the mercy of your Digimon's A.I. Battles can be quite frustrating---it's not uncommon for your Digimon to waste its MP firing off missed shots, or being trapped in a corner by a faster Digimon and its HP quickly drained. Fights against multiple Digimon are especially difficult at times. Luckily, most random battles are avoidable, but they are useful for helping you earn some extra funds, as well as find items.

Digimon learn techniques through two ways; by raising their Brain to a certain amount, they'll learn their trademark technique, as well as fighting other Digimon. Every Digimon has a set of techniques it can learn, although once you've learned a technique, you've learned it for good (unless you die from battle, then your Digimon may lose techniques), and every future Digimon can utilize it if it's a technique they're capable of using. Learning techniques is random, but increasing Brains increases the odds. Battling Digimon that are similar to yours is often the best bet of learning a new technique. Techniques have different power-levels, MP cost, and range, and you can only choose three at a time to give your Digimon. At first, they use them on their own accord, but with enough Brains you can choose which one for them to use. Each Digimon also has a unique Finisher Move, which they can use after it has charged up enough energy. But if they're hit during the start-up, they lose their opportunity to use it until they recharge it.

Exploring File Island
While much of the game is spent on raising your Digimon, that is not the central goal of the game. Rather, your goal is to explore File Island, and recruit Digimon to your town, as well as find out the root of the evil infecting the Digital World. Recruiting Digimon first involves finding them, often by asking other Digimon or just wandering around until you find them, and then talking to them, where more often than not a battle must be won to convince them to return to File City. Some Digimon give you other challenges, such as running their shop for them, or even playing them in curling. Recruiting Digimon is important, as they often offer you helpful services to make your training easier, such as selling items, providing you with a daily helping of meat, or healing your Digimon of tiredness and sickness. Other Digimon, though, are less helpful, but the more Digimon you recruit, the more chances open up of meeting more useful Digimon. You don't have to recruit all the Digimon to complete the main story, though. If I recall correctly, only two are actually needed, but doing so makes things much more easier.

Battles are somewhat optional in Digimon World, outside of recruitment. There are wild Digimon wandering around, but you're usually able to avoid them (although in some cases they ambush you during screen transitions), without any penalty, and the stat gain they provide is meager compared to that which can be gained through training at the Green Gym. However, there are some evolutions that require meeting a certain amount of battles. But overall, you'll want to avoid them most of the time to conserve HP and MP for the Recruitment Digimon you must face.

Exploring File Island is not fun, especially early on. Your character moves extremely slowly, and the game is divided into screens, like the PSX Final Fantasy, meaning it takes quite awhile to get anywhere. Furthermore, it is a bit confusing figuring out at first what areas are passable, and what aren't, and it's easy to get turned around. There's no map, so you'll need to memorize the layout. As you progress, though, new routes and shortcuts open up, and you even obtain a Digimon that can fly you to certain areas to reduce travel time. You also can purchase the Auto-Pilot item, allowing you to return to File City at any place in case you run out of items. Much of the exploration, though, involves you playing Solid Snake as you try and move past wild Digimon with erratic movements so you won't waste time with a pointless fight. File Island is quite large, though, and rather interesting, so while it's cumbersome to explore it, there is a sense of reward when you discover a new location, or finally come across a new Digimon to recruit to your cause.

Beyond training and exploring, there are a few mini-games for you to partake in. You can fish, collect Digimon trading cards, which can be used to trade for rare items, and compete in Tournaments, although to be quite honest, the Tournaments can be quite challenging, and is an element of the game I never touched much as a kid, and have yet to get around to. You can also save your trained Digimon to use them in battles against other players.

Tips and Tricks

* Don't be prideful, use a guide! You'll want to try and plan which Digimon you get, otherwise if you play blind, you might end up with the rather useless Numemon.

* Use time wisely! You can't tackle everything the game has to offer with just one Digimon. Get a decent Champion-level Digimon, and begin accomplishing small goals at first. By doing this, you'll build up your City, Techniques, and Funds, and then can focus on getting an Ultimate-level Digimon for the harder parts.

* Keep well stocked! Always carry HP Items, MP Items, Food, a portable toilet, and an Auto-Pilot. When you run out of the other items, use an Auto-Pilot to return to File City and stock up. In the early game, you'll likely need to use recovery items during most fights in order to recruit much of the Digimon which will help make the game easier.

* Rest often! Tiring your Digimon out counts as a Care Mistake, and can reduce their lifespan. Generally, train about four or five times, and rest using Punimon's bed in Jijimon's house. Don't just sleep once, sleep about two or three times to ensure you're fully rested.

* If you're short on cash, and don't wish to cheat, use a Digimon as a "money maker". Get them up to Rookie, invest in decent stats, but ignore their cries for food. That way, you can save up the daily meat you get. Then, beat up the DIgimon around File City to increase your funds for your next Digimon. Alternatively, by reaching Freezeland, you can trade Sm. Recoveries, which you can buy for cheap in File City, to a Mojyamon for Offense Discs, which can then be sold for a net profit gain.

* If you're going for an Ultimate Digimon, do not explore. Stay close to File City to ensure you're always near a toilet and rest-spot, and can easily buy food. Some Digimon may need to fight a bit to evolve, so beat up the weak Digimon so you don't risk dying. Train, rest, train, rest, etc. Naturally, getting an Ultimate Digimon is not realistically something you should attempt at the beginning of the game. Focus on getting a decent Champion-level Digimon, and use him to complete the tasks needed to raise your Tamer Rank, to get stats passed on, and recruit the Digimon who help with Training like Pixiemon, Kabuterimon, and Kuwagamon.

warheat

Best DIGIMON and one of the best PSX games in my book, I clocked around 200 hours in this game. Too bad it got a lot of hates, beside few game breaking glitches/bugs, my only complain is random encounter DIGIMON like Pixiemon.

Watch Da Birdie

Best DIGIMON and one of the best PSX games in my book. Too bad it got a lot of hates, beside few game breaking glitches/bugs, my only complain is random encounter DIGIMON like Pixiemon.

Only major glitch is the Agumon blocking Ogremon's Fortress in the PAL Version, right? One that literally ruins the game and makes it so you can't recruit everyone. There are two others I recall that are much more minor:

* The Jukebox freezes your game in the NTSC Version (but who cares about a sound test really, and it's avoidable).

* Mojyamon will trap you sometimes when trading, but you can use an Auto-Pilot to get out of this.

Raise your hand if you got Numemon on the first try.

This playthrough, I got Centarumon and Birdramon my first two times, but got him the third time when raising Elecmon...probably because Elecmon's evolutions are a bit more specific and aren't simply raising parameters.

But Numemon can be used to get Monzaemon...unfortunately, he kept dying as I tried to get to Toy Town, and lost all his hearts.

warheat

Raise your hand if you got Numemon on the first try.

When I got Centarumon after that, I wasn't even mad.

I did, and I'm tired most people say this game is shit because they mostly got Numemon, pay attention to your Digimon's weight people, it is the most important thing if you don't want to end up as Numemon.

I owned this at one point. Obtuse is definitely a good word to describe it. Brutal perhaps another.

Gave away my OG Playstation and all my games to a cousin though when I moved on to other consoles, so it's long, gone to who knows where by now. Seems to be going for at least $30 on eBay for used/incomplete versions. IIRC correctly it came with a special holographic trading card.

TabrisRyu

Without a doubt one of my favorite games, every now and then I play and recruit everyone on the city. I want a sequel with this gameplay, not the dungeon crawling of dw2 or the system of dw3 (there is no such thing as dw4! shh)

It's probably my favorite of the console RPGs after Data Squad.

It was so cool having the v-pet in a fully realized 3D world. I know that a lot of people didn't like it because it was so far removed from the anime, but I was really into the v-pets before the show came out, so it was exactly what I was looking for.

I did, and I'm tired most people say this game is shit because they mostly got Numemon, pay attention to your Digimon's weight people, it is the most important thing if you don't want to end up as Numemon.

It's a bit frustrating as a kid though. Especially if all you know about Digimon is the cartoon. The game would have benefited if it was a little more transparent.

The internet is a godsend for this game. I finally got Garurumon. ;-;

Watch Da Birdie

Without a doubt one of my favorite games, every now and then I play and recruit everyone on the city. I want a sequel with this gameplay, not the dungeon crawling of dw2 or the system of dw3 (there is no such thing as dw4! shh)

You're in luck, they did make one! Digimon re:Digitize for the PSP, with an english patch being released soon. I've heard it's basically the same game, but fixes a lot of the annoyances, although I've yet to try it.

It's a bit frustrating as a kid though. Especially if all you know about Digimon is the cartoon. The game would have benefited if it was a little more transparent.

I was going for Garurumon this cycle, but got Drimogemon. >.> I guess because I met both requirements it picked one.

Verelios

I was crying after my digimon evolved into skullgreymon. Tears of joy. Numemons three times will do that.

DW is a game I truly loved and hated.

You're in luck, they did make one! Digimon re:Digitize for the PSP, with an english patch being released soon. I've heard it's basically the same game, but fixes a lot of the annoyances, although I've yet to try it.

I can't wait for the patch to be released. Re: Digitize sounds like the sequel I always wanted. It's cool they are planning to do Decode next.

I was going for Garurumon this cycle, but got Drimogemon. >.> I guess because I met both requirements it picked one.

Even with the internet digivolving is a mixed bag sometimes, lol.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adore this game. The only bad part to me is learning techs. It's too random and too hard honestly. I'd rather just use a cheat device to have them all from the start.

I used to just load this up and go fishing all the time. The bird sounds of the forest/dragon eye lake area were so calming. It was a blast to go catch a million fish so you'd always have food and could sell them (not using the money glitch). Then I'd train a little, then spend a day at the arena and playing curling. It was kinda like just living the life in a digimon world.

The music was so happy, and the whole game had such a nice atmosphere. I can recall every bgm track with perfect accuracy. It was really soothing and fun to play. I actually really liked the battle system too. I liked how basically it was just 'Boss Attack-The Game'

Some of the moves are really badass. I always used to grind for Prominence Beam because it was one of the easiest power moves to get, and I always knew who had it (birdramon). But the All Range Beam is so fucking cool. To bad it was impossible to get.

Somehow, we got stuck with Tyranimon all the time. He was kinda like the 'default' champion once you learned how to avoid numamon.

I do agree now, but I loved the mystery this game invoked when younger. Getting ultimate was impossible, so that was this mystical unreachable goal you only knew existed from the menus. As well, there were all these clearly hidden doors and areas that I never knew how to enter. It was also fun just trying to get a digimon you wanted by trying different things, like all speed, or all defense before we just used the internet to look up the required stats.

warheat

I just watch the gameplay, not going to judge but it doesn't have the same atmosphere in the original, more like anime version. I like the feel when you explore new area and wondering if the enemies will whack you in 1 hit because your level is too low.

Nowhere near the sequels in terms of quality, but at least it's not DW4. Still worth a shot just t say you played it, though.

I think it's a matter of taste. I like the first Digimon World the best, but it's not the same type of game as its sequels (except maybe Re: Digitize). Out of the sequels, Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk is probably my favorite.

TabrisRyu

I didn't know there was a patch being done, I assumed it was on localization hell.

I have my psp ready, I need this on my veins

Mailbox

Digimon world is the GOAT.

My first ultimate was Phoenixmon and could never figure out how I got him.

Only had a couple more ultimates after him.
I should get the game again... (Gave it to my cousin when I gave her my ps1)

God I loved that game

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, fuck learning techniques. My Drimogemon has a shitty default move, and nothing else.

It's probably my favorite of the console RPGs after Data Squad.

How is that game? I never saw it anywhere so never picked it up.

I think it's a matter of taste. I like the first Digimon World the best, but it's not the same type of game as its sequels (except maybe Re: Digitize). Out of the sequels, Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk is probably my favorite.

I quite liked Digimon World DS, the implementation of the farm alongside traditional grinding was a neat idea, but the combat was sort of lackluster. Does Dawn/Dusk improve on that?

One of my most cherished and beloved games. Even though I had a difficult time with it, the world presented within was so charming and memorable that I still enjoyed it.

Numemon was useless until the Monzaemon costume in Toy Town, which I used to clear most of the game. I wasn't able to get an ultimate myself until I replayed the game in high school.

Watch Da Birdie

Goddamn, this Drimogemon I've got right now is really decent stat wise, but has like the shittiest move that does like 60 damage making battles take forever. :<

I'm trying to beat Ogremon, to get Shellmon, to make Seadramon appear and take me to Beetle Land to get the Gym Upgrade, but Drimogemon might die before he learns a decent technique.

Mr. RHC

The fact that Digimon could actually die was game breaking for me, never completed it, might try with a guide someday.

Nice OT!

Watch Da Birdie

I got a Greymon, and made GREAT PROGRESS...beat Ogremon twice, rescued Shellmon, got Angemon, this seems to cause Seadramon to appear, caught it, and now Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon have joined my Gym.

Then it died. :( But I got a cool Angemon, my next "goal" is to train him, and then try and track down Pixiemon for the Training Manual.

I wish they put this game on psn so I can buy it digitally. I got a physical copy but it's so scratched and the game is a bit pricy for a used copy.

Jawmuncher

No joke the only thing I remember from the game as a kid was all the poop. Always thought it was so odd.

Great OP though so much I never realized

I got this game Christmas 2000 or 2001 and tried to get into it, but it seemed really high maintenance for me. I also felt it was unplayable without a guide. And the footstep sound effects were mixed waaay too high.

Vertti

Played this a lot as a kid. Had the official guide but still mostly used game genie because it still was too hard lol.

This thread made me listen the game's OST and now I'd like to play it again. I should have my original disc somewhere...

Leezard

This game was way too obtuse/difficult for me as a kid. I got a couple of upgrades to file city and I got some champion digimon but it was mostly poop.

Stuart444

One of my most favourite games, I come back to this game at least once a year and play through it until at least Mt. Infinity (sometimes I continue after that trying to get all Prosperity Points).

Last time I got Frigimon (wanted to go for one I hadn't gotten before) which was fun to play as.

Out of the Ultimates that I got, my most surprising one was Phoenixmon. Now that was a surprise. The Ultimates after that I had planned and worked hard to get (Herkules Kabuterimon, MegaSeadramon and Metalgreymon. Oh and Mamemon on my lastest playthrough then Giromon using the factory place. I think I may have gotten Skullgreymon once but I forget.).

Talking about it makes me want to play it again. Maybe next time I'll get Angemon and get them to Digivolve to Devimon. Or something like that.

Still easily one of my most favourite PS1 games.

edit: when it came to learning techs. One thing I did was check up what Digimon used the type of techs my Digimon could use then I would save the game at Jijimons house and go and fight for the techs. if it took too long, I'd restart so as not to waste my Digimons lifespan.

Stuart444

This is one of my favorites games of all time! Why don't they make a remake or just put it as a PSOne Classics

There is a spiritual successor with a fan translation that is almost done. As for being on PSN, I don't know about the US version but I imagine they would need to do quite a bit of work on it and possibly redub the opening/endings with new voices. The PAL version had that Agumon bug that could break games and the text didn't wrap properly at the end of battles (causing text to roll off/out of the text box) not to mention with weird grammar.

I imagine all of that contributes to it not being on PSN though if it was ever put onto PSN, I'd buy it in an instant.

Wavebossa

Best DIGIMON and one of the best PSX games in my book, I clocked around 200 hours in this game. Too bad it got a lot of hates, beside few game breaking glitches/bugs, my only complain is random encounter DIGIMON like Pixiemon.

This game is one of my all time favorites. Getting an ultimate was so hard on my PS2. However, when my PS2 broke and I started to play it on an emulator (is that frowned upon here?) I discovered the power of the "Bonus Try"

Ultimates,...Ultimates everywhere

Mets9

On the italian version you couldn't enter in the Ogremon's Hideout in the Canyon zone due to a glitch, locking that quest forever. I had to get the NTSC version to fully play it.
But it was a great game indeed.
This game is one of my all time favorites. Getting an ultimate was so hard on my PS2. However, when my PS2 broke and I started to play it on an emulator (is that frowned upon here?) I discovered the power of the "Bonus Try"

Ultimates,...Ultimates everywhere
Was that really useful? Never tried that, I always raised my digimon by battles/regular training.

Top Bottom