• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Digimon World: Do You Eat Shit?

Wavebossa

On the italian version you couldn't enter in the Ogremon's Hideout in the Canyon zone due to a glitch, locking that quest forever. I had to get the NTSC version to fully play it.
But it was a great game indeed.

Was that really useful? Never tried that, I always raised my digimon by battles/regular training.

Well, it requires a little patience because its a well known fact that the bonus try cheats (Depending on a collection a variable, no matter what you do, you cannot 3 of the same in a row). But keeping that in mind (and knowing how to alter those variables), the bonus try is 100% worth it. It is almost doubling your training.

NO MORE ANDROIDMON FOR ME

It warms my heart to see this game getting love from people. I love this game, but I have to admit, you really need a guide for this game.

A few tips from myself.

*GET THE SHOP OPEN ASAP. So you can buy 2 of the most vital items in game, auto pilot and portable potty. Fast travel and every Place toilet is a god sent. And if digimon doesnt wanna eat the toilet, just scold him. Most of the shop owners can be gotten on the way to Gear Savanna. Get Patamon, Biyomon & Unimon.

*For "easy" champion aka no Numemon, try 1000 HP and MP and 100 for rest. This is almost minimum requirement for all champions. Honestly, weight doesnt seem as important for champions, so no need to care for that. Only warning is that these stats dont work for Elecmon. You need higher stats and more specific requirement fillings. So Elecmon is easiest way to get Numemon if needed.

*For "easy" ultimate try 3000 for HP and MP and 300 for rest. Usually this is good minimum amount of stats required. Now of course there are quite some ultimates that need more and different stats and care mistakes and weight requirements, but usually this is good starting point. Also earliest ultimate is possible is usually after 6 days. So you can train all stats entirely for one day to get optimal results. This might be hard in beginning of game, since you may have limited food resources but this is optimal for late game.

*If you dont have emulator, screw Bonus Try's. Yes they can help, but they have way too much risk to be useful.

*This game will probably resort you to restart PS1 if you want best results. It is unfortunate, but nothing too major. This a case mainly for all techniques, as you can get techniques if you train brains and the infamous Monochromon minigame.

SeZMehK

I remember when I first got this game. I loved the cartoon so I chose Agumon to start off with. I wanted a Greymon so badly. When it digivolved, I got a Centarumon. I was still happy. I loved this game. I hope they bring over the new vita game. >.<

Murkrow

Banned
I prefer that one.

dgw3ps0b.jpg

Wavebossa

the infamous Monochromon minigame.

Ugh, I remember the first time I did that minigame. I failed so badly because stupid Veggiemon is a stingy bastard (and apparently is a huge advocate of free healthcare). Upon leaving his shop, I guess the disappointment was just too much for my Metalgreymon to take... and he died right there on the spot.

:(

SerTapTap

I played the hell out of this, should play again some time. I probably lost my saves along with my big PS1 memory card though.

And if digimon doesnt wanna eat the toilet, just scold him.

And this is why I love this game. I remember getting the giant shit monster, sighing, and running around the entire world cleaning up once I found he would eat poop piles.

SaberVulcan

I only got up to the ultra level once, Metal Graymon... entered some area that only viruses could enter, lost horribly, Metal Graymon died, and I never went back.

How is that game? I never saw it anywhere so never picked it up.

It's the closest that Digimon ever got to a traditional console JRPG. It absolutely destroys DW3 in that regard. It uses the 5th anime as a backdrop but like DW3 it doesn't limit you to just using the canon evolution lines, so you can play around with a ton of different evolutions. It's cel shaded too, so that's always a plus.

I'd definitely recommend playing if you play it on an emulator or installed on a CFW PS2 HDD. The loading times while playing off a disc are really bad and it gets super frustrating because of the pretty high encounter rate. Playing it installed got rid of most of the problems I had with it though.

Splatt

I played and beat all three PS1 Digimon games.

The 1st one is my favorite. Despite it being quite obtuse I really enjoyed exploring File Island and discovering new Digimon to add to the town. It was a pleasent suprise when you get back to the town and see that they actually serve an useful purpose.

I didn't really enjoy battles that much, most of it came down to luck, IIRC.

For fans of the game who want something in similiar vein I'd recommend Monster Rancher series.

Also, any word on that patch for RE:Digitize?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
*For "easy" champion aka no Numemon, try 1000 HP and MP and 100 for rest. This is almost minimum requirement for all champions. Honestly, weight doesnt seem as important for champions, so no need to care for that. Only warning is that these stats dont work for Elecmon. You need higher stats and more specific requirement fillings. So Elecmon is easiest way to get Numemon if needed.

That explains why raising an Elecmon is the only time this playthrough I ended up with Numemon. IIRC, it's because his evolutions require like a certain amount of battling, such as Leomon.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I played this game for hours when I was a kid. I didn't have a memory card.
I think I only got a proper champion level digimon like twice.

Vertti

I had to start this again today thanks to this thread.

Played about 3 hours and already got Andromon. Damn that was suprising because I thought getting ultimate type would be much harder in the beginning. Too bad it has only one heart left because my Meramon already died few times. First one was super cheap death and second one was my bad playing.

This game is more fun I thought it would be. It has it's flaws but with a help of guide it's not too bad. Let's see how long I have patience to play onward.

MechaX

I rented it once and really liked it... up to the point where I kept getting Numemon. I had limited internet back then, so I could not for the life of me figure out why I kept getting Numemon (I really, really wanted Greymon). Even when using a gameshark that had some preloaded Digimon World codes on, I still got Numemon. So eventually, I just used gameshark to make Numemon god-like and blasted through most of the game that way.

I remember on a replay some time later, I got the drill one, but I had lost interest by that point.

Watch Da Birdie

So, there's one HUGE annoyance I have with this game now...after recruiting Angemon, he remodels Jijimon's house, so you can no longer rest there. Now you have to go two screens and down from the Green Gym to rest at the clinic. :(

Bogeypop

It's a bit counter-productive how you can't get the Gym upgrades until late in the game. I remember having to go Leomon's Training Area, Cherrymon, Trash Mountain, and Ice Sanctuary if I had a Vaccine Digimon, to make the most out of training.

I had to start this again today thanks to this thread.

Played about 3 hours and already got Andromon. Damn that was suprising because I thought getting ultimate type would be much harder in the beginning. Too bad it has only one heart left because my Meramon already died few times. First one was super cheap death and second one was my bad playing.

This game is more fun I thought it would be. It has it's flaws but with a help of guide it's not too bad. Let's see how long I have patience to play onward.

Do go on, if you need help, maybe we can help here :)

So, there's one HUGE annoyance I have with this game now...after recruiting Angemon, he remodels Jijimon's house, so you can no longer rest there. Now you have to go two screens and down from the Green Gym to rest at the clinic. :(

Its not that bad, but I can see it being bothersome. There is no major fix, but you can do something to easy it a little bit. There is a secret item that makes resting have better effect, so it may make you have to go rest a little less.

You can get it from Moyjamon. To recruit Moyjamon, you have to buy items from 3 Moyjamons in Freezeland. Now be careful, because 2 of the Moyjamons are useful and you dont want to lose them. Make sure to trade items with them first. As long as the one trading Restore, Autopilot & Medicine is the last one you trade with, it'll be fine. As for why to keep other 2? Well other one sells digivolution item and the other one allows you to do the money trick.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. You seem to be in late game, so you should have Access to Sirloins. Sirloins actually reduce tiredness! You may need to feed 2-3 or pieces however and it will obviously affect your weight, which can be bothersome as well. But its avaible as an option as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm jealous of you, Andromon dude. Haven't attempted an Ultimate yet, guess I should go for one now that the Gym is upgraded...I have Angemon, so I guess I'll try for Andromon too. I'm pretty close to his stats, actually.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. You seem to be in late game, so you should have Access to Sirloins. Sirloins actually reduce tiredness! You may need to feed 2-3 or pieces however and it will obviously affect your weight, which can be bothersome as well. But its avaible as an option as well.

Oh, really?

You know, is there anywhere to buy Sirloin? The three I'm getting from Veggiemon isn't enough.

You know, is there anywhere to buy Sirloin? The three I'm getting from Veggiemon isn't enough.[/QUOTE]

I dont think you can buy sirloins but you can buy hawk radishes from veggiemon after he gives you the sirloins. The hawk radishes increase your digimin's weight by 3 and give you a temporary training boost and cost 500 bits a peice. You can also buy a lot of giant meats and just save your sirloins.

Kouriozan

Absolutely loved it and probably my favorite PS1 game ever.
A shame that stupid PAL bug prevent you from getting important stuff, the completionist inside me is still suffering.
I did find a solution once, convert the save into a NTSC one, enter Ogremon's fortress/sleep and reconvert the save. There will be text bug while in the US version though.
I did that 3/4 years ago, hopefully one day I'll remember where I found it.

Also, when we got the petition to get the 3DS game, I signed like 10 times, PSP was already dead so 3DS is the only chance we might get it and I want to 100% it legit on retail.
The petition added the Vita game afterward but really don't care about it, I want my Digimon World-like experience.

Watch Da Birdie

I prefer that one.

dgw3ps0b.jpg

That game was pretty neat, but had some oddities...one in particular bugged the hell out of me as a kid...

You had the three new Starter Digimon, which were all cute, in Kotemon, Bearmon, and Monmon, but only Bearmon felt "complete" with a logical, main evolution line---Bearmon, to the grizzly bear Digimon Gryzmon, to Grapleonmon (still a powerful mammal), and then Marsmon. It felt more or less like a line you'd see in the show.

But Kotemon? He became 'Dinohumon', then a Kamaitachi Digimon, and then a new Angemon-species, GuardiAngemon. I guess they all had swords, but it felt pretty odd.

And then you have Monmon. A cute monkey Digimon---who evolved into a pirate, who then evolved into a gun-wielding centaur, and finally, a weaponized brachiosaurus. The fuck?

Food tip, at mid game just buy 99 meat pieces. Sometimes Sirloins feed too much and it can be wasteful. Especially since Baby digimon do just fine with just meat. So sometimes it is ideal to feed Sirloin + Meat rather than 2x Sirloins. Its not even that costly, since 99x meat is about 4950. Heck, you could sell Sirloins that give you 750 bits. So in 3 days its already worth the money. :p

The above mentioned Hawk Carrot has an important compliment, Super Carrot, that DECREASES your weight. This is very important for decreasing weight, as it can be painful.

I'm jealous of you, Andromon dude. Haven't attempted an Ultimate yet, guess I should go for one now that the Gym is upgraded...I have Angemon, so I guess I'll try for Andromon too. I'm pretty close to his stats, actually.

Oh, really?

You know, is there anywhere to buy Sirloin? The three I'm getting from Veggiemon isn't enough.

Well I suggest high MP and brains as they actually BOTH help with his ultimates :p

But should you fail with Angemon, you could always try.... Devimon.

Yeah Im just gonna say this since it is bullshit, that to get Devimon, while your disclipine meter is below 50% aka blue, if you die in battle, you have a chance of turning Angemon into Devimon. If you do this at later point like age of 11-12, it allows Devimon to live longer and maybe even digivolve to special age digimon, Vademon. Of course if you have high MP, Devimon can evolve into Megadramon. Do remember that you should put items in bag before losing a wild battle. Losing a battle with items can make them disappear. And the way to get them is not that convienient.

Just suggestions if Angemon doesnt evolve.

Absolutely loved it and probably my favorite PS1 game ever.
A shame that stupid PAL bug prevent you from getting important stuff, the completionist inside me is still suffering.
I did find a solution once, convert the save into a NTSC one, enter Ogremon's fortress/sleep and reconvert the save. There will be text bug while in the US version though.
I did that 3/4 years ago, hopefully one day I'll remember where I found it.

Why am I the only one with fixed PAL version. Getting frustated. And confused. I even have working Giromon Jukebox.

Shengar

And then you have Monmon. A cute monkey Digimon---who evolved into a pirate, who then evolved into a gun-wielding centaur, and finally, a weaponized brachiosaurus. The fuck?

I remember Monmon! His Mega evolution is cool as fuck. I guess his evolution is not based on shape or type but rather gun.

Vertti

Continued my playthrough and now the negatives started to pouring in,

My biggest problem is with the techs. My Andromon has only one attack and it cost hefty amount of MP without doing that much. It means my MP is always drained completely. I can't even rest in the jijimon's house anymore so I have to use MP discs. But they cost a lot of money and I just can't get enough of it battling because it uses so much of my MP!

This means I'm mostly running around with overpowered digimon evading battles making the world feel quite an empty place.

There also a bit too much backtracking and running in the same places. And everything moves so slowly and you are always loading a new area.

I probably should max my MP or even get a new digimon and start again. Still I think the game is better I thought it would be after all these years but it has it's problems and isn't perfect. Still very playable with a help of guide.

Game over was very near today when I faced Graymon which left me 38 HP. Still won though lol.

Taruranto

This game was so charming, but in retrospect the gameplay was kinda shitty.

Also European version was filled with bug and was much harder to finish.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really want RE: Digitize just to experience a bug-free, glitch-free World 1 game.

Also I love DW1, my favorite Digimon game, too bad WereGarurumon isn't playable (although apparently he's supposed to be in).

My biggest problem is with the techs. My Andromon has only one attack and it cost hefty amount of MP without doing that much. It means my MP is always drained completely. I can't even rest in the jijimon's house anymore so I have to use MP discs. But they cost a lot of money and I just can't get enough of it battling because it uses so much of my MP!

This means I'm mostly running around with overpowered digimon evading battles making the world feel quite an empty place.

There also a bit too much backtracking and running in the same places. And everything moves so slowly and you are always loading a new area.

I probably should max my MP or even get a new digimon and start again. Still I think the game is better I thought it would be after all these years but it has it's problems and isn't perfect. Still very playable with a help of guide.

Game over was very near today when I faced Graymon which left me 38 HP. Still won though lol.

You should either learn the "use weak attack" command, or only select low-mid MP consuming attacks

Vertti

You should either learn the "use weak attack" command, or only select low-mid MP consuming attacks
Like I said my Andromon has only one tech. I would happily use something weaker if it would consume less MP but I just can't learn new techs even when I try. The whole tech system is the biggest problem imo. It's too random and difficult to learn new techniques.

Boss Doggie

Like I said my Andromon has only one tech. I would happily use something weaker if it would consume less MP but I just can't learn new techs even when I try. The whole tech system is the biggest problem imo. It's too random and difficult to learn new techniques.

Ahh right, it's random, though I recall brain stat has something to do with it?

Had this game as a kid, but I never finished it due to Chronic Numemon Syndrome. Eventually I gave up on trying to make progress and just played that curling minigame forever and ever.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Techniques and MP Drain is a HUGE PROBLEM. I wish MP would steadily replenish itself over time, that would greatly help. Really though, if you do the Money Trick, and stock up on discs, most of the game becomes simply a battle of attrition lol. I feel sort of weak that every fight I've been in mostly relied on me restoring HP and MP multiple times to win lol.

Also I love DW1, my favorite Digimon game, too bad WereGarurumon isn't playable (although apparently he's supposed to be in).

Yeah, using Gameshark you can get his Digivolution Item, and he's fully working I hear. Also know you can get Panjyamon, the alternate color Leomon, as well.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, using Gameshark you can get his Digivolution Item, and he's fully working I hear. Also know you can get Panjyamon, the alternate color Leomon, as well.

Nah, you can spawn his item, but using it will only spawn his feet and the game will crash.

wanders

Played this last year for the first time and loved it. No game out there that's like it. Something about having your digimon evolve depending on how you take care of it makes it personal and cool. Great game.

I remember playing through the pal version with a guide from a magazine and wondering why I could not get past that Agumon.
One of my favourite games and maybe I should play the ntsc version someday to visit the areas I could not in the past.

Taker34

Banned

I don't know how much you know about Digimon World (I'm an expert) so this might help:
You need to learn new techniques for your Andromon - which don't use up that much MP. You can look up which attacks Andromon can do and learn them from fighting other Digimon creatures. For instance if Andromon can do a lot of machine attacks, visit that machine city, fight the other Digimon, block their attacks (every time you block an attack, the chance of learning that attack increases) and you're good to go.
So if Andromon can learn "Metal Sprinter", fight against Digimon which perform this very technique, block it and you might learn it at the end of the battle. Training the intelligence of your Digimon can also teach you new techniques. Plus you can also use specific commands like blocking, using weaker attacks etc.

Money shouldn't be a problem if you know how to trade with the 3 Mojyamon in Freezeland. They offer you more valuablue items, than the ones they want. Which you can sell for a profit. You might wanna use a guide for this.

Boss Doggie

Money shouldn't be a problem if you know how to trade with the 3 Mojyamon in Freezeland. They offer you more valuablue items, than the ones they want. Which you can sell for a profit. You might wanna use a guide for this.

Yeah I love this trick, you can either trade medium recoveries for super defense, which you then sell. Or you can trade mushrooms for medium recoveries then trade those for super defense.

I think the only thing you should be careful is to avoid making that certain Mojyamon join your town.

Taker34

Banned
Yeah I love this trick, you can either trade medium recoveries for super defense, which you then sell. Or you can trade mushrooms for medium recoveries then trade those for super defense.

I think the only thing you should be careful is to avoid making that certain Mojyamon join your town.

Exactly, this can be really helpful early in the game when money is badly needed for things like fast traveling with Birdramon.

Zabuza

Banned
Love this game. It was so difficult playing as a youth and I never made it very far, but I loved the soundtrack and remember it quite fondly.

I think I'll pop it in my PS1 and give it another whirl.

I should really go back to this game before the PSP translation comes out. It was a classic for me that was one of the games that introduced me to gaming.

While I despised getting the champions that cleaned up the poop, It was nice that I could actually clean up the mess I make from the failures to get to the toilet.

Vertti

Thanks for the tips guys.

But I think I had it. My Andromon died after 24 days or so and I had to start with a new guy. I hate the idea I have to do that every 5 hours or so especially when the training system is so stupid. You are constantly running on toilet or clinic and have to give tons of food. Still your digimon becomes unhappy and loses weight all the time. I got Whamon and did all I can (went to toilet, gave food, went to clinic etc.) and it still died after 12 days.

I could get to the Ice area with luck. Not sure I would beat Ogremon and the two agumons. Or I could get the better rod and try to get the gym upgrades. But I really don't want to do that. It feels more work than fun and that's not why I play video games. Besides I have lots of other games to play so I let this one go.

However, it was a fun trip to memory lane. I still like the music and graphics and the first few hours were fun. After that it just went huge downhill in my opinion.

It warms my heart to see this game getting love from people. I love this game, but I have to admit, you really need a guide for this game.

A few tips from myself.
Digi-seabass can be caught in Native Forest and will increase a digimon' life-span. I was able to get several ultimates this way. Chain melons work too, but are harder to get.

This part was so unexpected.

B8kvCoL.png

He beat my digimon in a blast.
This and Airdramon can completely ruin your save file if underprepared, and they're another reason why a guide is essential. They're both very powerful, and if you saved before their fights and can't beat them, there's no going back.

I really want RE: Digitize just to experience a bug-free, glitch-free World 1 game.

I think his sprite appears in the tournament, but he always loses so you can't see him.

Watch Da Birdie

That must be a PAL-only thing, because I lost to Greymon and he didn't reappear till I talked to Jijimon again.

That must be a PAL-only thing, because I lost to Greymon and he didn't reappear till I talked to Jijimon again.

No no, to activate Greymon or Airdramon attacking, you have to talk to Jijimon. However, if you save using the saving system inside Jijimons house AFTER talking to Jijimon, THEN it will also always allow Greymon or Airdramon to attack. So if you save while you have a weak partner, yeeeaah you are trapped. However if you lose, then it will reset until you talk to Jijimon again.

Its a easy trap since saving system inside Jijimons house is much better option than the uncommon saving after sleep.

Watch Da Birdie

I had no clue you could save inside JiJimon's house...

There's that one Digital Pet, but I thought that just saved a Digimon's data for 2P Mode, and didn't save your single-player progress.

Ugh, I remember the first time I did that minigame. I failed so badly because stupid Veggiemon is a stingy bastard (and apparently is a huge advocate of free healthcare). Upon leaving his shop, I guess the disappointment was just too much for my Metalgreymon to take... and he died right there on the spot.

:(

I lol'd. I rolled through the game as a kid with Metalmamemom and that's how I lost him..

I remember doing the Monochromon Shop minigame as a kid and not having an issue with it. But when I revisited it on emulator, I could not for the life of me remember how I met the profit goal. I knew it took a perfect storm of customers, but I had a really hard time this go around. It took me a long time to remember you can raise the price again after raising it the first time. I had no idea I could have completely gutted Muchomon for much more for medicine.

Boss Doggie

I remember doing the Monochromon Shop minigame as a kid and not having an issue with it. But when I revisited it on emulator, I could not for the life of me remember how I met the profit goal. I knew it took a perfect storm of customers, but I had a really hard time this go around. It took me a long time to remember you can raise the price again after raising it the first time. I had no idea I could have completely gutted Muchomon for much more for medicine.

RNG!

Top Bottom