• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: MGSV: The (Not So Unfinished) MGS2 of MGS3

#Phonepunk#

Banned
RTTP
I'm writing this with over 900 hours of playtime, on my 3rd playthrough of TPP. The second time through, I made sure to 100% the game, and there is a lot of good stuff you can miss, such as the alt mission objectives like listening in on the CIA arm's dealer's tour of the Airport base in Africa.

The Missing Link
Some people think it failed to be "the missing link". But to me, it wildly succeeded. MGSV connects the prequel Big Boss series (MGS3, PW) with the Solid Snake-focused console games (MGS, MGS2, MGS4). Timeline-wise, it even butts up directly against the start of the first Metal Gear game. Venom is literally rebooting the series, creating a sort of infinite loop, with the MSX original. He is the link. The character of V even symbolizes this: a point connecting two separate lines.

The MGS2 of MGS3
By this I mean it is a 2-part commentary on the power fantasy of Big Boss. Like MGS2, MGSV is presented in two chunks:

- Tanker Chapter, Ground Zeroes, which portrays "the real Big Boss" for one final mission before he dies/goes in a coma/etc.
- Plant Chapter, The Phantom Pain, where the artificially created clone of Big Boss attempts to live up to the legend.

Sadly, MGSV was sold as two separate games, which has helped warp public perception of the overall package. The main difference is that MGS2 had the feeling of a young, rebellious creator, mocking the power fantasies in the super successful MGS. With MGSV, that rebelliousness has turned toward gratitude and wisdom with age. It is EMBRACING of the legend that is at hand, a welcoming to create, with both player and game working together, to create the legend of Big Boss. It's a creator looking back over a longtime career with many ups and downs and saying thanks. We did this together. Venom pretty much says as much directly into the camera, right after booting up an MSX with the first game on it.

A lot of bases in Africa began reminding me of MGS3, and there were plenty of blatant call-backs. The biggest being Quiet's introduction, the female sniper, a MGS tradition, a living WMD just like Snake. It is framed the same as The Boss, the camera panning out to reveal Snake, his gun drawn. In MGS3 he had no choice, this was his mission. Now, he is working for himself. Kaz and Ocelot vie for his attention, and he sides with his former enemy in bringing Quiet back to base.

Like Venom she undergoes a birth by fire (Big Boss sets her on fire with a makeshift flamethrower, in a manner much like his own demise at the hands of Solid Snake in the game of the same name), she is the center of Snake's relationships of this game in much the same way as The Boss was in MGS3, and Venom at the very least feels a strong kinship with her as a soldier. She is one of the first people that he meets from outside the hospital, and is key to his psyche, and remembering who is was. When everyone is leaving him in Chapter 2, she is the last to leave, and she departs following the harrowing, penultimate Shining Lights mission, where Snake really earns the title of Big Boss, by methodically killing his own soldiers, in order that he maintains control of a WMD.

Snake to Big Boss Initiation
The quarantine mission is an inverse of the hospital mission, and functions as it's own Rites of Initiaition. These are the two main narrative missions in the game, they are the two linear missions that take place in areas that cannot be normally visited. They are very significant.

The hospital mission has you starting at the top and working your way to the ground level, in the quarantine, you start at the ground and work your way to the roof. In the latter mission you have taken the place of the invading force that you once hid from, once you were a disabled veteran desperately hiding amongst a pile of dead bodies, now you are single-handedly shooting everyone in the head after passionlessly checking them, and ordering your own fleeing men to be firebombed on your own Mother Base. The hospital mission has the real Big Boss use flame to burn Quiet, who stabs him in the shoulder with a knife. A soldier also stabs Venom in the shoulder with a knife in the quarantine mission. Lastly, there is the odd mirrored effect, of starting on your knees the hospital and escaping on horseback, whereas in the quarantine facility, you enter fully upright, but by the end of the mission, Venom is on his knees, crying out in pain. No doubt Kaz immediately calls you up following this mission, to ask you about the hospital, something he doesn't bring up once in the previous dozens of hours. This leads directly to the Truth mission, which I believe to be Venom finally snapping out of a state and remembering an event long buried.

Unfinished?
The funny thing is, not much has surfaced. There are tapes of unreleased Big Boss dialog but it is like less than 10 minutes. There is the Chapter 51 cutscene but it is unfinished, and would have just been a repeat of a boss that you already fight 3 times! Nobody has found any maps, have they?

I think a lot of the "unfinished" status is bullshit, that most of it was anti-hype sold to us by gaming media that had a huge FucKonami hard-on. Everyone from Kotaku to Jim Sterling were doing the same hit pieces, it was in their interest to say the game was unfinished, it made Konami look worse. With other games, we have cut maps, we have cut level design, cut enemies, cut bosses, etc. Nothing has surfaced from this, has it?

IMO Kojima is smart, when Ground Zeroes happened, and the Tanker Chapter was amputated, he wrote the ending to the game, he saw the writing on the wall. The twist is that TPP's intro is the ending. The first footage released included Big Boss's naked butt, basically mooning everyone without them knowing it. The twist was written into the ending of GZ and this ending is what came first, then Skull Face's unsatisfying demise, then Chapter 2, the open-ended New Game+, where Kojima and co. could make side ops and challenge runs while waiting for the axe to fall.

True, Ground Zeroes has a polish that was denied The Phantom Pain. That much is true, and IMO this is the main way in which is it unfinished. Beyond that, I don't think much would have changed. Maybe we would have more options in FOB, we could customize our Outer Heavens a bit more. Certainly the cutscene camera & lighting work would have improved. But not much would be added.

I never understood what people thought was "cut" from the game. There was a faked leak on Reddit that listed 5 chapters, i think this is what most people think was real. It was entirely faked though. IMO Chapter 3 was about the post-game FOB, hence "Peace", which follows with the nuclear FOB ending. If you look at the entire MGSV, there are 5 endings, complete with end credits, GZ, Skull Face, Quiet Exit, The Truth, Peace.

What more did people want? I guess they always wanted more Metal Gear, is sort of the point.

Last edited:
5 is one of my favorites in the franchise. Respect for playing the game so extensively. Is that FOB missions or mostly single-player stuff?

The game ending was very Metal Gear, and very Kojima. But unfortunately the fedora-tippers who thought MGS3 had the best storyline of all time ended up disappointed, so the game got lambasted.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm on camp MGSV rules.

The game was Metal Gear through and through once you delve into the tapes, analyze the cutscenes and make the effort of piecing it all together. MGS has never been super accessible and true fans have always made the effort to go deep into the lore.

I wholeheartedly agree with the MGS2 comparison. It is a game very much built with the same structure and beats, except they're moved around quite a lot.

The gameplay is the best in the series, so no argument needs to be had there...

Hold my like, OP.

Interesting read and I can tell you tried to find the parallels, but the game is clearly unfinished and you are trying find a deeper meaning than is actually their by making a bunch of tertiary connections(at best) to justify your love for the game.

It's a fun game, and easily the best playing with a level of freedom and control you don't get in many open world games BUT it's a bad Metal Gear.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Shouldn’t it have the best gameplay of the series? It was 7 years since the last console metal gear. 6 if you want to include Ground Zeroes. And considering how archaic those games play now, is that really such a huge accomplishment? I think the better accomplishment would be that it’s the best playing 3rd person action/adventure game still, today.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The boss battle in Mission 31 was fantastic. It felt great and it looked awesome. There were so many awesome parts to MGSV. Roaming around in the desert, calling in air strikes, and infiltrating camps for blue prints. If MGSV wasn't MGS in terms of storytelling, it sure as hell pulled off the game play. Which is what most outspoken jokes were about right? It had a solid plot, but IMO it needed that cutscene that was cut out. That summed up things pretty well for me. We all sorta knew where everything was headed. Maybe a premature fight with the MG would have been too much at that point.

I think once a lot of people finish the game - the long haul stuff comes from either die hard fans or people who are mainly lttp. The reporters who complained about it at the time will just take note of what happens if indeed someone ever figures out anymore content. Maybe its best left off as a mystery to when things get unlocked and what happens at the very end. Having that all fleshed out at the beginning is probably what Kojima is getting away from. Sticking with the game and not exactly knowing everything outright brings its own reward. Death Stranding's rumored "end of multiplayer?" idea seems to be an interesting concept. I think the same goes with MGS. MGSV was a solid game, but it certainly didn't just hand you everything. You had to want to get to the end to see what would happen. If that makes any sense. It takes quite a bit of time to explain MGS in great detail. A lot of aspects of MGS are their own reward. Which I see it get a lot of criticism and a lot of praise for doing.

Hobbesian

Banned
It's one of the best games ever made for those that actually like to play their games and not watch them. I also like the "ending" a lot. This is the best MGS game in terms of story and gameplay by a country mile. I love the grounded feeling of everything despite it still being planted in the zany universe of Metal Gear and I love the bespoken performance of Kiefer Sutherland as a discrete culvert that allows the player to read between the lines: even if that isn't really the intent.

One of the most stimulating games I've ever played and I wouldn't change anything about it. I actually think Kojima tinkering with it for another year could have made the game worse.

Last edited:
I feel like people who played and fell in love with Peace Walker would transition to MGS5 the best.

The same fans clinging to MGS3 like some kind of asherah pole -- the ones who dismissed MGS4, and Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes -- didn't like MGS5. Wow. Huge surprise. And Ocarina of Time fanboys didn't love the new Zelda. What's new?

The open-ended stealth was phenomenal. MGS fans who liked to tinker with the various tools, attempt speedruns, attempt no-alert runs, and try wacky solutions to the missions were in heaven. MGS5 is a huge playground and you can listen to tapes while you do it if you really need your daily fix of story.

The gameplay was/is supreme.

Top Bottom