• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor (🧂): SIlksong not coming anytime soon, game scope now far larger than originally announced.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Supposed information from someone who knows one of the devs. Take with a Grain of Salt as there's no source:

• There's a chance the game might show up at TGA 2024, Geoff has been in contact with Team Cherry but they didnt have a trailer to show at Gamescom 2024.
  • There's no release window, game scope is at minimum double the size of the original trailer announcement. At least over an extra year of waiting.
  • There' no marketing rights with Microsoft, despite Game Pass Deal.
  • Team Cherry work on the game is slow.
  • Game is set to have multiple unlockable characters besides Hornet (probably one of the reasons it's taking so long)
7W1e64R.jpeg

StereoVsn

That just sounds like mismanagement of the project. They could have done 2 games in this timespan, that’s just nuts.

And what happens if it doesn’t hit? Studio could be on the line.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm rooting for them. All the hate they are getting is stupid.

It's just a game, and they don't owe anyone anything. Well, except that it was supposed to be a free DLC for backers but my guess is they never said when it'll be due.

lestar

Sequels must feel like a curse for successful indie game developers. They take forever and rarely result in a successful follow-up. Just like Yacht Club, releasing the same game with reskinned characters over and over, or the Braid remaster that no one asked for, which bombed. It's like the fame and money blinded and relaxed them, leading to development hell and a lack of new ideas.

Dthomp

Man, I loved Hollow Knight and was really looking forward to Silksong, but after this much time I'm not sure I even care anymore and that sucks. The longer it takes the higher expectations will be that the time being put in will be a bigger and better hollow knight and the odds of that are already slim being a sequel

I'd love to believe this, but it's hard to when there are so many people making shit up for their 15 minutes. What I think, regardless of the quality of this source, is that Team Cherry has standards, and they want Silksong to really be something special. We have seen a TON of metroidvanias, many adopting elements that Hollow Knight popularized. They want Silksong to wow people, not just be a "good sequel" or "more of the same". Time will tell how it works out, but for now I'm hopeful.

Haint

That just sounds like mismanagement of the project. They could have done 2 games in this timespan, that’s just nuts.

And what happens if it doesn’t hit? Studio could be on the line.

Team is like 3 or 4 people far as I know and sold several million copies, they're all deca-millionaires. Game is taking so long cause they have no reason or motivation to work and just do shit when they feel like it at their own leisure. Would you get up at 6am and work 10 hour days 5 days a week if you got $10 million sitting in the bank?

Last edited:
It is surely not easy for the developers right now. Expectations are sky high after Hollow Knight and they sure don’t want to disappoint fans.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
We have seen a TON of metroidvanias, many adopting elements that Hollow Knight popularized. They want Silksong to wow people, not just be a "good sequel" or "more of the same". Time will tell how it works out, but for now I'm hopeful.
You make a good point.
Having just 3-4 people instead of a lean 8-12 isn't very smart imo, but it'd still take a long time if the goal is to make a splash. This is the point discussed in the Jonathan Blow thread.

Chopino

Neo Member
I imagine the devs invested the money from Hollow Night on real state and now they are living their lives.

I don't even now if I even want this secuel anymore. I'll probably play it but only if it results in a hit and it's something really different.

Bernardougf

Normal people made a HIT became millionaires and now couldn't give a fuck, older story in the book. Maybe it will come out maybe not. Just dont think too much about it. If I had to bet I think they probably started SilkSong as a DLC or something and thats the images we have, after the huge success of HK their lifes changed and well... who knows.

Ultros

Banned
Silksong Forever?

But there is a Metroidvania releasing like every 2 seconds. So there is plenty to keep people busy. About 10 released by the time I finished typing this.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It’s three mates in Australia making a game together, of course it is going to take a while. They are not under any financial pressure either, considering the success of the first game each of them has tens of millions of dollars in the bank.

Being one of my most anticipated games, this is a risky move, because in the meantime lot of great metroidvanias are releasing, some heavily inspired by Hollow Knight and that might diminish the hype. Games need to be released within its peak hype window.

Hudo

I am probably getting shit on for this: I don't get why people are so excited for Silksong. I played Hollow Knight and found it... ok. I don't get the hype. Sorry.

That doesn't mean the game isn't good or so. Calm your tits, fanboys. It's just that I don't "get it".

larrybrady

Neo Member
The first game kinda felt never ending(ish) as it was... I believe it sold quite well too.. they're like only 3-4 men deep,you'd think they hire a little bit of extra help to speed this along. Will probably still be released before little devil inside

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
I imagine it is a lot of pressure on Team Cherry. Hollow Knight is a certified masterpiece.

On the one hand, I think they should take the time to polish it and make it the game they want. And I’ll play it day one no question.

On the other hand, I feel like a heroin addict in constant withdrawal. Give me something man, anything, any kind of info. The silence is killing me.

K' Dash

Even for small projects, if you don't setup a clear scope, it will be hell to "finish", even when they launch the game, it won't be the game they want to deliver.

Top Bottom