• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia is considering to make coming out in public punishable with fines/jail time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new bill is being drafted as an amendment to Russia's infamous ban on "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations," which currently imposes fines and censure for any person or agency making pro-LGBT statements in any venue that could be accessible to minors. The original legislation was drafted by members of Putin's ruling United Russia Party, though both chambers of Russia's legislature passed the law unanimously.

If the proposed amendment is signed into law, anyone who publicly declares a "'non-traditional sexual orientation' could be fined $5,000 roubles ($80) for 'demonstrating [their] own expressed sexual preferences in public places," reports Newsweek Europe. Making such a declaration in a school, "cultural establishment," or government building could land the offender in jail for 15 days.

And the reasoning

"I believe that the problem we have raised is one of the most pressing and topical issues as it addresses the social ills of our society and deals with the moral education of the next generation," Communist lawmaker Ivan Nikitchuk told Izvestia, the Russian paper. "In the biological sense, not reproducing is the same as death, and in that sense homosexuality is a lethal threat for the whole of humankind."

http://www.advocate.com/world/2015/10/23/russia-poised-criminalize-coming-out

I wonder if Russia will ever sentence people to death over being part of the LGBT community?

Edit: Wrong forums. Can a mod please move?

Edit 2: Thanks to the mod who moved my thread to offtopic.

Compsiox

Banned
zangief.jpg

Grazzt

"In the biological sense, not reproducing is the same as death, and in that sense homosexuality is a lethal threat for the whole of humankind."

LOL wtf. What about those who are infertile?

Eusis

"In the biological sense, not reproducing is the same as death, and in that sense homosexuality is a lethal threat for the whole of humankind."

LOL wtf. What about those who are infertile?
Kind of ignores the fact that the only ways it's a real threat are 1. that is somehow the natural state of human attraction, which wouldn't make sense with how the race has managed to continue to the point it has, and 2. if somehow the population gets that low that, yes, you really DO need anyone fertile helping to repopulate.

. . . And I was thinking a legit way to tie to gaming would've been thinking about when concerns for other markets have caused censorship of potential homosexuality, but I think that only happened with cartoons. And Japan's got the bigger anti-gay censorship going on as I recall given how they dance around the topic in Persona purportedly despite running into it head on with Persona 2 in the late 90s.

Deft Beck

But, excessive reproduction is leading to the continued exhaustion of resources around the world. So, if anything, gay people are heroes for not contributing towards that, if they do not choose to reproduce otherwise.

Checkmate.

Madness

Not surprised to see this coming Russia. One can only hope that Russia will in the near future stop oppressing homosexuals.

Don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I think some polling has showed like over 80% support criminalizing/punishing homosexuality there and don't believe in legalizing same-sex marriage. So majority attitudes coupled with official government legislation effectively means it won't change for a LONG time.

Griss

If you assume the reason given is just total bullshit to hide the real reason, then... what's the reason they're doing all this? You can't legislate gay away. We know that. It does not, in fact, hurt anyone.

So why? Is Russia super religious? Do they think that by oppressing a minority in such brutal fashion they make sure the majority know to stay in line?

I can't figure out what the purpose of such bizarrely medieval policies are.

If you assume the reason given is just total bullshit to hide the real reason, then... what's the reason they're doing all this? You can't legislate gay away. We know that. It does not, in fact, hurt anyone.

So why? Is Russia super religious? Do they think that by oppressing a minority in such brutal fashion they make sure the majority know to stay in line?

Orthodox church is strong and influential yes. Persecution of religion under the USSR was inconsistent and constantly flipped back and forth between tolerance, repression, and open support under differing circumstances and different party leaders. But it survived, and thrives today.

I can't comment on what the motivation for various government policies truly is. We could theorize. Homophobia is not uncommon and thus these policies may well be quite popular with the people. It could be a ploy to keep strong support from the heavily religious sectors. It could be genuine belief homosexuality is encouraged or caused by cultural factors and that by minimising things like this they will be reducing rates of homosexuality. They don't have to be correct to believe stuff like this. Russia certainly has faced major demographic problems just like the rest of "Old Europe" and sustaining healthy birthrates has long been an obsession of autocratic and right leaning states.

Hate.
Also, oppressing a weak minority strenghtens the group feelings. Its fun and unifying to hate on someone as a group.

Monocle

That's one way to inform the entire world that you're a bastion of retrograde, morally defective policy, in lockstep with the vilest cesspools of debased humanity this planet has to offer. Hurray persecution. Hurray bigotry. Putin's Russia is such a cool and tough guy.

What if you get sterile? Bullet in the head?
For that matter, what if you're celibate for religious reasons? Fucking lol. These cretins.

zashga

Maybe this is just Russia getting more worried about its declining population... in a horrible, retrograde way.

Diablos

Absurd.

Perhaps for just once the Republicans here in the US will say that the commies got something right? :-D

Wace

a) Please, note the difference between several idiots who propose laws and Russia. Otherwise people may start refer to your country by your idiots (Terry Jones, Abdul-Aziz ibn Abdullah Al ash-Sheikh, etc.)

b) See a.

Thank you.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
a) Please, note the difference between several idiots who propose laws and Russia. Otherwise people may start refer to your country by your idiots (Terry Jones, Abdul-Aziz ibn Abdullah Al ash-Sheikh, etc.)

b) See a.

Thank you.

image.php

b) See a.

Thank you.

Are Russian lawmakers not elected by the Russian people?

Wace

Are Russian lawmakers not elected by the Russian people?

Mostly not. Well, technically they are, but we have extremely low percentage of actively voting people, especially on low-level elections. There are lots of day-by-day problems so mostly population doesn't pay attention to the lawmakers, trusting Putin to prevent anything out of the common sense. That's how I see it.

And there are also active idiots: religious zealots, monarchists and so on, they always can squeeze in somebody in Duma.

Its not just once. There is a lot of pro-Putin sentiment going around because of how macho he appears.

Not to mention the Pro-Kremlin people on the left here in Europe, who bizzarely defend the Russian Government despite its homophobic laws, crony capitalism, huge wealth inequality, foreign policy etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom