• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Braun suspended by MLB for entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

TadkV.gif

hope those other Biogenesis-linked players aren't far behind.

No more heroes in baseball.

David Freese was a pretty good hero story from 2011, hometown guy saves his team from elimination in game 6 with a bottom-of-the-11th-two-out-full-count home run. But that was more of a single moment since he hasn't been performing that well since then. Plus everyone loves to hate the Cardinals.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Mauer probably did juice. 2009, his almost-30-HR year.
That year he had fresh legs since he didn't start playing until May, and he hit a bunch of homers to the first row in left field at the Metrodome that would've been doubles anywhere else. He hit 28 dingers and 30 doubles. The next year he hit 9 dingers but 43 doubles.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I don't think anybody has said that. Cheaters will always try to cheat. Baseball tries to keep up with the cheaters, other leagues like the NBA and the NFL basically just turn the other way.
Everyone from Bud Selig to Bob Costas has said it.
I think if you started doing blood samples in the NFL, NBA, tennis, soccer, etc, it would be a be as bad or worse.
And? They aren't jumping up and down about how clean their sports are.
baseball is protecting themselves. They have known about steroids in the league for 15 years. Do you think they were complaining when McGwire and Sosa were going nuts in 98 and bringing fans back to the game after baseball was all but dead in 94?

They are saving face becuase everything is public now.
And this. Baseball was forced by congress into testing. Otherwise, Fehr would have kept drug testing away from baseball forever.

MLB basically condoned ped usage for so long, that they face a longer road back. They dug their own hole, they get to fill it themselves.

Heel

Truly a martyr for the noble cause of pushing human limits artificially for the sake of performance-enhanced entertainment.

I welcome our future with open arms. One man pitching rotations throwing 150 mph against guys who can hit a baseball into the next county.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Remember when this guy publically slammed the poor guy that took the sample based on some meaningless technicality when he got out of this the first time? Yeah, that was awesome. I mean, no it wasn't fuck you Ryan

I liked baseball better when they just didn't talk about it. Every sport is rampant with cheating...it's the only way to win at a high level. Some people just don't get caught.

lol

because i actually watch baseball and watched before bonds most definitely was on the juice? Go look at his 2004 numbers.
Seriously guys. I don't like Bonds as much as the next guy, but it's not like steroids were the only reason Bonds was a good player. He probably wouldn't have broken the HR record without them, but he still would have been an amazing hitter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol

because i actually watch baseball and watched before bonds most definitely was on the juice? Go look at his 2004 numbers.

I have no clue how this or anything else could lead to the conclusion he has super good eyes.

lol....yea, sure pal.
Until he gets caught up in some shit like all of these other guys you and I have no reason to believe otherwise. Some dudes are just naturally big. I turned on Palmero the minute he got caught and I'll do the same with Davis if he ever gets into some shit. But I don't think him or Cabrera are on anything.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Until he gets caught up in some shit like all of these other guys you and I have no reason to believe otherwise. Some dudes are just naturally big. I turned on Palmero the minute he got caught and I'll do the same with Davis if he ever gets into some shit. But I don't think him or Cabrera are on anything.

Was Brady Anderson on the juice?

I have no clue how this or anything else could lead to the conclusion he has super good eyes.

Really? really?Do I have to go dig up articles that talk about how great his patience at the plate was, how good of an eye he had for what he could hit and couldn't? How many fucking times he was walked in his career? Intentionally or not? Or are you going to still be fucking obtuse the whole time?

Zep

Banned
Really? really?Do I have to go dig up articles that talk about how great his patience at the plate was, how good of an eye he had for what he could hit and couldn't? How many fucking times he was walked in his career? Intentionally or not? Or are you going to still be fucking obtuse the whole time?

You're just feeding it.

Angry Grimace

I don't get how Bonds is better than the other dozens of guys in the Hall of Fame. Nobody is contesting that he was a HOF-level hitter prior to being clearly on steroids.

No Love

Banned
So at this point, why don't we just let everyone juice? It's becoming quite the joke and not even a "shock" anymore when someone gets caught.

Might as well have everyone juice it up in every sport so we can finally come close to the perfection of

mutant-league-football.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't get how Bonds is better than the other dozens of guys in the Hall of Fame.

I'm sure someone can find appropriate stats in terms of strike zone recognition, swing rate, etc, but I don't know how far back some of that data goes for historical comparisons. But I'm pretty sure that sort of statement regarding "his eyes" has been brought up before by sabermetric types.

Aaron Hernandez is a murderer. No one should be above suspicion in the NFL!

1) I must have missed the string of murders committed by NFL players.

2) Not sure why you keep pointing to the NFL. Obviously the NFL has its own issues with PEDs. But this is a thread about a baseball player.

3) You seem to be taking personal offense at this thread for some reason.

Was Brady Anderson on the juice?
I sure hope not. If he did the only year I'd even question him on was in '96. Besides that year he never hit over 25 HR and he didn't have one season where he batted over .300. His slugging % was pretty steady for his entire career.
No one should be above suspicion at this point.
You guys and I just have a different outlook. I prefer to think no one is doing anything and you prefer to think everyone is doing something. I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Angry Grimace

I'm sure someone can find appropriate stats in terms of strike zone recognition, swing rate, etc, but I don't know how far back some of that data goes for historical comparisons.

I guess I'm just not convinced walking all the time is necessarily a matter of having great hand-eye coordination because Bonds got pitched around an epic amount. Tony Gwynn has a career average like 35 points higher than Bonds does. It's such a specific compliment that it sounds like apologizing for the steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom