• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 9000X3D to be first X3D CPU to support manual overclocking.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)

Great if true. I couldn't support prior X3D chips because it didn't support manual overclocking, something which I get enjoyment out of and have done with every CPU I've had.

Hopefully the OC safeguards aren't too limiting.

I wonder how much overclocking would even help with X3D though...

winjer

Gold Member
We could already overclock with the 5800X3D and 7800X3D, through BCLK overlock.
It's a limited process but i can be done. In fact, I've done a bit of that.

But I guess that what AMD is implying is that these new X3D parts will have an unlocked multiplier.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's awesome to see. If we get a level of PC like how I've had with some past Intel parts, we are in for a treat.

Even more stunning to see the TC make the thread.

I am blown.

Blown away I tell you.

zMlJnA.gif

Blowowowowowowowowown!

OverHeat

« generous god »

Great if true. I couldn't support prior X3D chips because it didn't support manual overclocking, something which I get enjoyment out of and have done with every CPU I've had.

Hopefully the OC safeguards aren't too limiting.

I wonder how much overclocking would even help with X3D though...
gipRUNs.png

GTFO

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The more time passes, the more useless overclocking becomes. I used to overclock all my parts that could be overclocked 10 years ago (memory, CPU, and GPU) but haven’t done it in years. The gains have become insignificant as most parts have great clocks out of the box. Only thing I tweak are memory timings.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
We could already overclock with the 5800X3D and 7800X3D, through BCLK overlock.
It's a limited process but i can be done. In fact, I've done a bit of that.
BCLK overclocking sucks donky nuts, only people buying non multiplier unlocked CPUs use that mess.

The more time passes, the more useless overclocking becomes. I used to overclock all my parts that could be overclocked 10 years ago (memory, CPU, and GPU) but haven’t done it in years. The gains have become insignificant as most parts have great clocks out of the box. Only thing I tweak are memory timings.
It can still be worthwhile on mid-range Intel CPUs like 13600K/14600K. I agree though, these days I'm more into memory tuning.

SScorpio

Technically enabling XMP profiles is overclocking. But most components do auto overclock.

I haven't OC'd anything in my PC in over a decade. It was fun when I was young and trying to squeeze every bit of juice out of cheap stuff I bought. These days I just want to play games, not hardware tweaking.

Denton

Overclocking was great when it was possible to go from Celeron 300 to Celeron 450, or from Athlon 64 1.8ghz to 2.8ghz.

These days though? Kinda useless for anything other than benchmarking and epeening.

Mithos

Gold Member
Overclocking was great when it was possible to go from Celeron 300 to Celeron 450, or from Athlon 64 1.8ghz to 2.8ghz.

These days though? Kinda useless for anything other than benchmarking and epeening.
Or like what I did on my i7 930 2,8Ghz -> 4,0Ghz.

Top Bottom