• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2 DS Fan Translation |OT| -- Translation Complete (v2.0)

SaGa 2's Fan Translation was completed today by the fine dead folks over at Nope not here anymore.

ei9p8i.gif

--Patch File--
CN doesn't exist anymore, so I'll just link directly:​
If this gets taken down, send me a PM and I'll pull it off my server and rehost it.​

--What the fuck is SaGa 2?--

As you may know, SaGa 2 DS is in fact a remake of Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the GameBoy. Many people remember it for making the rest of the
mostly nonexistent
RPG market on the GameBoy look like shit.

To quote a good man and a good thread:​
RevenantKioku said:
SaGa2HellYes.png

Holy Jesus shit tits on a cracker fuck, the goddamned fucking game of the year is coming to your Nintendo Digital Shitkicker.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/saga2/

saga_date.png

DS: September 18 in the year of our Lord Kawazu 2009.
PS3: Never.

saga_gameplay.png

Okay, so there are enemes and you fight them. And you get more powerful and there are chains and links and powerful meats coming and robots can sleep in inns and get more bullets but they can't use as many bullets before they have to sleep again as opposed to the humans or mutants who can use the weapons however many times and fuck if I know if anything changed. I've been on a media blackout playing Yu-Gi-Fucking-Oh. But this game is amazing already and if Kawazu wants to remake it, he's going to fucking make it blow your mind until you are eating cupcakes out of your grandmother's bra.

I_wanted_Tits.png

14o4zk1.jpg
2s1kswn.jpg

2aik290.jpg
2aeo1vk.jpg

34rymq9.jpg
27xqka0.jpg

2i9hy5s.jpg
2s99lwz.jpg

saga_story.png

Fuck you.

saga_quotes.png

You better believe people are talking about this game on GAF!

saga_scores.png

Famitsu: 9778 - That is nine thousand sevenhundred and seventy eight points. That is more than four Uncharted: I-Don't-Care-What-The-Subtitle-Is. And that's awesome.
Penis Lords Weekly: "Buy This Game"/10. - This is a very high and prestigious score for this magazine. You should be impressed.

Thanks go to GhostSeed for those images I ripped out of some thread and Kawazu for being so goddamned awesome. I can't wait for this game but I have to buy it Friday since I have to wait on my paycheck. Boourns.

Summary:
This is a remake of this:
Final_Fantasy_Legend_II_Coverart.png

Buy the fucking game. Even if you don't speak Japanese. It will help you learn, I swear on your mother's grave.

--Where To Buy--
Play-Asia has the game for $34.90, but you can usually buy a used copy off of eBay for $10 to $15 less than that.

Note: I'm probably going to start playing tomorrow after I'm not too exhausted to go through the dumpage process. Will update then probably.​

Bebpo

Banned
I guess the upside of DS/Wii being the plentiful in rpgs that don't get localized is that they're probably the easiest modern systems for people to fantranslate and allow people to play them in English.

Kuran

Banned
Dat DS polygons. I really hate the character design.. who is responsible for this? He should stick to magical girl anime.

The gameboy version of this scarred me for life when I was younger. I got up to the end but got stuck on the second last boss and had to start again because the balance of my party (1 human, 1 mutant and 2 monsters) was screwed. Also there's some part where you're sliding down a corridor and keep getting into random battles. I had to continually slide down a few tiles, save, turn the gameboy off and repeat to get to the bottom otherwise the random enemies would demolish me.
Also I kept seeing the phrase "Eat the meat!" for days after that.

How many Japan exclusive DS RPGs have 100% completed fan translations now? From my recollection there is

Tales of Innocence
Soma Bringer (99% anyway)
Saga 2

Are there any other noteworthy titles?

thetechkid

lucablight said:
How many Japan exclusive DS RPGs have 100% completed fan translations now? From my recollection there is

Tales of Innocence
Saga 2

Isn't SWRJ 100% translated?

lucablight said:

Tales of Innocence
Saga 2

ASH is said to be finished, but is under testing since monthes...

firehawk12 said:
The original OP was epic!

RK is a humorous fellow. I couldn't not quote the entire post.

JonStark said:
Noooooooo can't patch on mac :'(

It's an xdelta patch, pretty common. I'm sure someone out there has a work around.

lucablight said:

Tales of Innocence
Saga 2

There are quite a few being worked on. Tales of Hearts, Xenosaga 1&2, hopefully ASH (the person behind that likes to drop off the earth for 6 months at at time), and I'm sure quite a few more.

Not to mention that most of the Pokemon DS games get manageable patches for the Japanese releases. Always figured those were sort of pointless though.

SaGa2 English v2.1 Released

Crimson Nocturnal said:
SaGa 2 English v2.1 has been released to address issues with some problematic flashcarts. Some minor dialogue fixes have been included, as well.

v2.1 contains an ALTERNATIVE patch for those that are having problems with their flashcarts not playing the game properly.

Please only use the ALTERNATIVE patch if you cannot play the game using the regular patch.

Dump done, patching now. Hopefully I'll be playing in a little bit!

Sweet, was wondering when they'd finally release this. Screen goes blank after new game opening dialogue using the reg patch on CycloDS FW B.5, but the alternate one works fine. Chalk another one to my backlog.

Max said:
I don't understand how you go about patching an imported DS cartridge
You import said cartridge, rip your cartridge wirelessly using completely legal and legitimate pc/mac applications, patch the ROM image, and put onto a legal homebrew-enabling cartridge of your choice (depending on your country of residence.) There are more detailed guides on how to do this at the DS Homebrew Wiki.

In somewhat related news, messing around with this finally got me to looking for a fix for my sluggish L button, a problem I'm sure I'm not alone in. I found this old blog post. It worked! Been playing for a while now and it works like new. The completely low-tech 2-second solution?
Just put your mouth over the shoulder button and blow the dust off the contacts
Might be old, but was definitely a "Holy fuck did that actually WORK?" kind of moment for me.

Made it through the first dungeon. Having a blast so far. Going with a member of each race to see the broad spectrum of the game/changes. Like many of you I haven't played FFL2 in ages, so this is just one huge nostalgia bomb for me.

Max said:
I don't understand how you go about patching an imported DS cartridge

You don't patch the cartridge, it requires a DS Flashcart (to play your dumped and patched ROM) and possibly a Slot 2 (GBA) Device to dump the ROM from the cartridge as well (there are other options for dumping, I haven't really explored them). After that, it's just a matter of following Crimson Nocturnal's readme.

Nessus said:
From the trailer it looked like they just used the original Game Boy translation.

Can anyone confirm this?

I want to say that was one of CN's goals in the translation. I couldn't say for sure as they've changed websites more than I could count.

Boney

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
In somewhat related news, messing around with this finally got me to looking for a fix for my sluggish L button, a problem I'm sure I'm not alone in. I found this old blog post. It worked! Been playing for a while now and it works like new. The completely low-tech 2-second solution?
Just put your mouth over the shoulder button and blow the dust off the contacts
Might be old, but was definitely a "Holy fuck did that actually WORK?" kind of moment for me.
How do you think I got my tag?

bubnbob

Banned
Boney said:
*blushes*

So how's the game guys?

In typical Kawazu fashion, overwhelming and difficult. Know what you are getting into... and try to enjoy.

Or wait for superior SaGa 3

Yaweee

bubnbob said:
Or wait for superior SaGa 3

That is the first and hopefully last time I see somebody call SaGa 3 superior to anything.

It's like a SaGa game, minus anything resembling interesting gameplay mechanics.

PataHikari said:
Holy crap.

The game actually tells you the functions behind its mechanics.

A brave first for the SaGa series.

Yeah, she's quite helpful really! There are a couple of things I wish it would expand upon though, but nothing I couldn't find by looking through the FFL2 guides.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Saw this earlier when i made my monthly translation rounds. Good stuffs. i sold my DS but its always nice to see translations make it through.

Made it to World 2 last night, been pretty busy lately though. Pretty smooth sailing so far, but I need to beef up my Mutant and Monster now that I have new abilities/meat available.

On a side note:

As I play this game I notice quite a few features that stand out to me. SaGa is a series that has a tendency to scare people away with its systems and differences from so many other RPGs, and this is really no different. However, I'm seeing a lot of features that GAF (and beyond) so often complain about in modern RPGs:

• Visible Enemies. (Not DQIX massive path-sized enemies either, these are absolutely avoidable).
  • Ability to speed up Combat via the Fast Forward button. Battles are over faster than DQVr on Battle Speed 1!
  • Save anywhere, anytime you feel like it. CRUCIAL for a handheld game. The game will even warn you of saving in rooms with no return.
  • Party Talk. (Kind of)
  • Well done, if not comprehensive, in-game "Help" NPC to answer many questions about the game.

PataHikari said:
Visible enemies and guest party talk are new to the remakes.

Yeah, I was just mentioning that despite the fact that this is SaGa, it has so many features that most of GAF complain about other RPGs not having.

Teknoman

PataHikari said:
Holy crap.

The game actually tells you the functions behind its mechanics.

A brave first for the SaGa series.

The PS2 remake of RS1 was pretty helpful in explaining everything.

Is this the game with the spaceship and time travel or something and it starts with a holodeck battle? I had it for gameboy and holyhell I remember it seeming to have an insane amount of nonsense goin on.

voodoopanda said:
Is this the game with the spaceship and time travel or something and it starts with a holodeck battle? I had it for gameboy and holyhell I remember it seeming to have an insane amount of nonsense goin on.

That's SaGa 3, which also got a remake that's being translated.

I made it to Race Town earlier this evening. Really enjoying it so far and am sad that S-E decided against bringing SaGa 2 over.

My one complaint so far is that the bosses instant death attacks are a pain in the ass due to my not having found a way to revive party members during combat.

Ledsen said:
for fan translation news and everything else, check romhacking.net.
That's what I did and that's exactly how I ended up missing tokimemo being patched in december.
Completing it with gbatemp or something might not be a bad idea.

I had to take a break from the Nasty Dungeon to put all the excess loot in storage. While I was doing that I decided to try fighting the Dragon God again.

I beat him this time, but now I am wondering if he drops meat or if that is a form that a players monster can take?

Edit: To answer my own question the Dragon God does in fact drop meat. The resulting monster, a turtle called Genbu, had extremely high statsl but its skills could have been better. I wonder if is possible to get a variant form?

The Dragon God also occasionally dropped a STR X 16 Dragon Spear Longinus and gave out one random (I am guessing it is random anyway) piece of Dragon Scale armor as a reward for beating it. I received a chest piece, gloves and boots while I was trying to get it to drop some meat.

Schopenhauer said:
I had to take a break from the Nasty Dungeon to put all the excess loot in storage. While I was doing that I decided to try fighting the Dragon God again.

I beat him this time, but now I am wondering if he drops meat or if that is a form that a players monster can take?

Edit: To answer my own question the Dragon God does in fact drop meat. The resulting monster, a turtle called Genbu, had extremely high statsl but its skills could have been better. I wonder if is possible to get a variant form?

The Dragon God also occasionally dropped a STR X 16 Dragon Spear Longinus and gave out one random (I am guessing it is random anyway) piece of Dragon Scale armor as a reward for beating it. I received a chest piece, gloves and boots while I was trying to get it to drop some meat.

I just reached him for the first time earlier and was wondering the same questions. Needless to say I haven't had a ton of time to play.

Also remembering why I wanted to go with another Human instead of a Monster.

Freyjadour said:
I just reached him for the first time earlier and was wondering the same questions. Needless to say I haven't had a ton of time to play.

Also remembering why I wanted to go with another Human instead of a Monster.
Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that monsters just aren't worth it. For the majority of the game my monster lagged way behind the rest of the party. Getting the Dragon God meat, which is evidently one of the three boss class monsters, kind of changed that.

As far as total stats go the Genbu far outclasses the rest of my crew (HP 858 STR 86 SPRT 83 AGL 75 DEF 99). The real issue is that the ability list is basically the same as a lower tier turtle + regeneration. As far as attacks go you have Fangs (STRX8), Ram Attack (STRX8) and Poison Fog (MagicX5) and the rest of the list is even less notable. It should suffice to say I am disappointed.

Top Bottom