• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Adams pulls sponsorship for St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gay veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

Boston Beer Co., the maker of the Samuel Adams brew — and the same company that omitted mentioning God in its Declaration of Independence-based ad — now faces a new flap: It’s pulled its sponsorship from the local St. Paddy’s Day parade after learning gay veterans can’t participate in it.

“We have been participating in the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade for nearly a decade and have also supported the St. Patrick's Day breakfast year after year,” the company said, in a statement reported by the Boston Herald. “We’ve done so because of the rich history of the event and to support veterans who have done so much for this country.”

Boston Beer Co. officials have even marched down the parade streets in recent years — but not so this year. Gay-rights group MassEquality and the parade organizers, Allied Veterans War Council, had a communication breakdown about who would be able to take part in the parade. Organizers said gays couldn’t march, and outcry ensued.

One local cafe threatened to stop selling Samuel Adams “until such time as either the parade organizers change their position, or Sam Adams removes its support of the St. Patrick Day Parade,” the Boston Herald reported.

Gay rights groups, meanwhile, expressed their own outrage. Boston Beer, caught in the middle, and upset at the parade’s refusal to let gays march, pulled its participation.

“We were hopeful that both sides of this issue would be able to come to an agreement that would allow everyone, regardless of orientation, to participate in the parade. But given the current status of the negotiations, we realize this may not be possible,” Boston Beer Co. said, the Boston Herald reported.

Last July, Boston Beer was involved in another controversy that rocked national headlines, over an advertisement for Samuel Adams. The ad posed the question: “Why name a beer after Samuel Adams?”

The ad then quoted the Declaration of Independence — minus mention of God.

The ad stated: “All men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain unalienable rights: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,” the actor stated. The documents states, however, that all men are “endowed by the Creator” with the rights.

Samuel Adams‘ Facebook page was racked with criticism after that spot. The company ultimately admitted the omission was on purpose, but said it was done to abide industry policy.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/14/sam-adams-beer-brewer-refuses-parade-wont-allow-ga/

Didn't the NYC parade ban displays of gay pride too?

I thought I read that.

But good for Sam Adams. Gonna have one when I go out tonight to support them.

I must have completely missed the "controversy" about the Declaration/Under God ad.

Also, Parade is fucked for not letting gay veterans participate. They fought, you respect that. Period.

Gannd

Banned
The Washington Times is such a shit newspaper. You notice that they mentioned that the company didn't include God in an ad quoting the Declaration. They are trying to gin this up as some liberal company out to get America. Well, they didn't include God, because their industry group has guidelines for advertisements and they are not to include religion. What a shit newspaper.

Wilsongt

I find it funny that Boston of all places is having a flap over gay veterans walking in St. Pat's parade, where here in Columbia, SC we have both a Pride float and a Harriet Hancock float (LGBT center here in SC).

Sam Adams doing the right thing.

The beer is ok

I'm a self-proclaimed beer snob, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager is meh, but their other beers are fantastic. Cherry Wheat is excellent, and their more micro-brewery styled ones are amazing, such as Dark Depths (a Baltic IPA).

Ekdrm2d1

whoa-thats-awesome.gif

I'm a self-proclaimed beer snob, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager is meh, but their other beers are fantastic. Cherry Wheat is excellent, and their more micro-brewery styled ones are amazing, such as Dark Depths (a Baltic IPA).

I'm a huge fan of their Octoberfest brew.

I find it funny that Boston of all places is having a flap over gay veterans walking in St. Pat's parade, where here in Columbia, SC we have both a Pride float and a Harriet Hancock float (LGBT center here in SC).

The church is heavily involved with the parade. Also Boston is really fucking Catholic when it comes to some things, outside the Universities it's still quite racist and homophobic.

I don't drink Sam Adams really, like some have said I'll maybe drink the Octoberfest. But I can't stress enough how much respect I have for companies that support current issues like this one.

lil smoke

Banned
Didn't the NYC parade ban displays of gay pride too?

I thought I read that.

But good for Sam Adams. Gonna have one when I go out tonight to support them.

This is one of the more ridiculous stains in the city.

They will visibly celebrate that holiday and openly say, YOU are not allowed because of your preference. I mean how the fuck can you be that blatant? Whomever runs that parade should be publicly shunned and humiliated, but it's actually taken quite a back seat in the news?

WTF NYC?

Gay veteran: "I've been gay for so long, man..."

hahaa

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is one of the more ridiculous stains in the city.

They will visibly celebrate that holiday and openly say, YOU are not allowed because of your preference. I mean how the fuck can you be that blatant? Whomever runs that parade should be publicly shunned and humiliated, but it's actually taken quite a back seat in the news?

WTF NYC?

Well, gay people are of course still allowed. It just can't be displayed (flags and the like). Still messed up.

False. I don't know why this stereotype persists.

Experience, The North End can be really bad sometimes. Winter Hill is still pretty damn bad, as are Chelsea and Qunicy. JP is getting much better and Porter is always hip, but in the poorer neighborhoods the harsh Combat Zone mentality still exists.

Sam Adams is my cheaper go to beer so this makes me happy.

Needed a 6 pack of something to celebrate spring break so I guess I'll be drankin some of that

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think it's great that they don't allow gay veterans. If they allowed gay veterans those gays would turn all the straights gay using gay NLP magic and then the parade would turn into a big gay buttfuck bonanza and then if I was watching it take place live I'd have my pants around my ankles jacking off so hard and so fast that my dick would become a singularity which would suck in the entire earth into itself and all life as we know it would be gone in less than one minute.

If it was just some people being people and expressing themselves harmlessly I could see where Sam Adams gets off with this move, but we are literally talking about the literal extinction of the human race here.

Jackpot

Banned
Surely the real focus of the story should be organisers deciding not honour veterans just because of their sexuality. "Thanks for risking your life but gay life ain't worth squat"

Wow, I never realized the NYC parade prohibits marchers from displaying anything showing their preference. Guess I'll be boycotting it this year...

Viewt

Looked it up out of curiosity, and apparently Chicago's been A-OK with gay participants in the St. Patty's Day parade since the mid-90s. :)

Chicago-River.jpg

Dazzler

Really happy to see news outlets in the States are getting past the horrible name of "St. Patty's Day" that the holiday has somehow picked up

It's St. Paddy's Day.

If you want to annoy an Irish person, call it St. Patty's Day in their presence, it's infuriating

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Good for Sam Adams. Granted, it's trash beer.

I won't buy a six pack under $12 due to quality.

I'm happy for you, rich man. Meanwhile, us cheap fuck heathens will stick to our Lone Star and Pearl.

(Lest I end up starting a fight: I am just fucking with you.)

KHarvey16

Experience, The North End can be really bad sometimes. Winter Hill is still pretty damn bad, as are Chelsea and Qunicy. JP is getting much better and Porter is always hip, but in the poorer neighborhoods the harsh Combat Zone mentality still exists.

Not any more than any other poor neighborhoods. And besides, that leaves all of the neighborhoods full of young professionals who graduated from those universities and never left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom