• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Adams pulls sponsorship for St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gay veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.
These St. Patrick's Day parades need to drop the bigotry. The fight is over and join the right side of history. Especially since the Catholic Church lost their moral high ground on sexuality a long time ago.

Palmer_v1

These St. Patrick's Day parades need to drop the bigotry. The fight is over and join the right side of history. Especially since the Catholic Church lost their moral high ground on sexuality a long time ago.

I feel like that new pope guy had something to say about this sort of stuff already.

Alright, I'm just going to shoot this from the hip...

I feel like Boston Beer Company usually finds themselves on the right side of things. I can't put my finger on it and I'm far too lazy to search but I want to say I've seen them portray similar shows of support for various things over the years, and I always find myself liking the company more and more each time.

KHarvey16

I feel like Boston Beer Company usually finds themselves on the right side of things. I can't put my finger on it and I'm far too lazy to search but I want to say I've seen them portray similar shows of support for various things over the years, and I always find myself liking the company more and more each time.

One thing they did last year I think was sell some of their excess hops at regular prices to small breweries due to a shortage that was sending costs through the roof.

SoCoRoBo

Great move. Sick of the US St. Patricks Day parades promoting a maudlin vision of a backwards Ireland run by an institution that's done nothing but evil to us.

The problem here isn't Boston, it's Boston's Irish community specifically (especially in Southie). Christ what a bunch of pricks.

Damaniel

Banned
As the only person in this thread who actually likes Sam Adams Boston Lager (I'm not a beer snob and I think that excess hops ruins beer - sorry, IPA lovers), good for them. Let the bigots drink their Natty Light or whatever in protest. I've never seen a bigger bunch of persecuted people than modern Republicans.

Sanjuro

They single handily brought the micro-brew craze to fruition, help out smaller breweries looking to make a head start with distribution, and they make a fantastic selection of beer year round.

NekoFever

Really happy to see news outlets in the States are getting past the horrible name of "St. Patty's Day" that the holiday has somehow picked up

It's St. Paddy's Day.

If you want to annoy an Irish person, call it St. Patty's Day in their presence, it's infuriating

Did news outlets make that mistake? I'd have thought they'd have editors to catch that kind of thing.

As the only person in this thread who actually likes Sam Adams Boston Lager(I'm not a beer snob and I think that excess hops ruins beer - sorry, IPA lovers), good for them. Let the bigots drink their Natty Light or whatever in protest. I've never seen a bigger bunch of persecuted people than modern Republicans.

?
A lot of people have said they like the beer (myself included) I love the 'higher' end stuff too but you can't go wrong with a Sam Adams (even if it's just their seasonal stuff)

I find it funny that Boston of all places is having a flap over gay veterans walking in St. Pat's parade, where here in Columbia, SC we have both a Pride float and a Harriet Hancock float (LGBT center here in SC).
I'm sure it's been addressed but South Boston is like it's own little island
Anyway, good for Sam Adams, I'll buy a sixer tonight

Sanjuro

?
A lot of people have said they like the beer (myself included) I love the 'higher' end stuff too but you can't go wrong with a Sam Adams (even if it's just their seasonal stuff)

If you don't like it you either fall on one end of the spectrum, snob or poor taste.

You might not like their main offering, but they have other items for acquired tastes. If you want a beer you can pound/drink all night, they have that too. They are my absolute favorite go to mid-range beer.

NekoFever

The US never realized paddy's isnt a shortening of Patrick but Pádraig

Pádraig is the Irish equivalent of Patrick, both from the same Latin root. Hence the Irish shortening of Patrick being Paddy, and Paddy being slang for an Irish person. And since it's an Irish holiday, it's St Paddy's Day.

KHarvey16

Pádraig is the Irish equivalent of Patrick, both from the same Latin root. Hence the Irish shortening of Patrick being Paddy, and Paddy being slang for an Irish person. And since it's an Irish holiday, it's St Paddy's Day.

Wouldn't this same reasoning lead one to think "St. Patrick's" is also wrong?

Thank you. Their idea of right and wrong is a little off. "being gay is wrong! We hate gays, but we do like priests, even though they are sexual predators!". Let's all just get drunk and chill out, gays and priests included. It's 2014, let's live in peace.

can someone please take me to a gay pride parade?!?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

They also have a great loan/mentorship program for start up micro brews. It's non-profitable for them and technically they are helping out their competitors, but they see it as a nice way to help the community.

http://btad.samueladams.com/HowItWorks.aspx

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.co...s-founder-brewing-opportunities-for-startups/
http://www.grubstreet.com/2011/04/samuel_adams_wants_to_lend_you.html
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...a-pint-brew-a-dream-nationwide-204466961.html

Wouldn't this same reasoning lead one to think "St. Patrick's" is also wrong?
The shortening of Patrick is Pat in English. Patty is the short form of Patricia. Its a girls name.

You can translate the name to Patrick but changing the gender is just wrong or ignorant. I guess you could use st. Pat's day.

Tawpgun

Just to be clear, they don't ban you from marching if your gay. A gay veteran can still march with some veterans group or whatever. They banned gay focused groups such as a gay veterans group from participating. Their reasoning was because the parade should be focused on Irish/St. Patricks Day/Boston things.... Which clearly explains why groups like this march in the parade...
562818_10152673027635704_1456756607_n.jpg

(this is a picture I took from last years parade)
There were also groups such as "pirates of boston" or something like that. Just a bunch of people dressed as pirates....

It's still a shitty situation. The Mayor tried to boycott/stop the parade but it failed. Good on Sam Adams for stepping up though.

Dazzler

But it's the short name for St. Patrick's Day, not St. Pádraig's Day. It's a really weird thing to care about.

It's the Irish national holiday, we call it St. Paddy's Day so it's weird that Patty's Day has become a thing

It bugs the crap out of me as an Irish person living in North America and it bugs lots of people at home. See this website for example:

http://paddynotpatty.com/

FStop7

Banned
IIRC there have been other instances where Sam Adams has stood up to do the right thing, it's nice to see a big company not lose perspective.

Madness

Isn't St. Patrick's Day/St. Padraig's Day meant to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland, Irish culture and the Catholic Church and is both a religious/cultural festival?

I don't think they'll ever really "celebrate" LGBT rights within the parade until the Catholic Church officially changes its stance no?

rrs

Isn't St. Patrick's Day/St. Padraig's Day meant to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland, Irish culture and the Catholic Church and is both a religious/cultural festival?

I don't think they'll ever really "celebrate" LGBT rights within the parade until the Catholic Church officially changes its stance no?

Well, whatever it started as it's now just an excuse to get wasted and not be embarrassed because everyone else is doing it. Holiday got ruined.

Spira

Banned
I'm a self-proclaimed beer snob, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager is meh, but their other beers are fantastic. Cherry Wheat is excellent, and their more micro-brewery styled ones are amazing, such as Dark Depths (a Baltic IPA).

I'd say octoberfest is my most preferred out of the bunch. With that said good for them.

Tonguer

I must have completely missed the "controversy" about the Declaration/Under God ad.

Also, Parade is fucked for not letting gay veterans participate. They fought, you respect that. Period.

Yes. I don't think it can be put any more simply than that, totally agree.

Monocle

Just to be clear, they don't ban you from marching if your gay. A gay veteran can still march with some veterans group or whatever. They banned gay focused groups such as a gay veterans group from participating. Their reasoning was because the parade should be focused on Irish/St. Patricks Day/Boston things.... Which clearly explains why groups like this march in the parade...
562818_10152673027635704_1456756607_n.jpg

(this is a picture I took from last years parade)
There were also groups such as "pirates of boston" or something like that. Just a bunch of people dressed as pirates....

It's still a shitty situation. The Mayor tried to boycott/stop the parade but it failed. Good on Sam Adams for stepping up though.
Shyamalan twist: Stormtrooper armor is now official gay pride attire.

Wow, good for Sam Adams. Glad to see them on the right side of history.

I always find this phrase strange in this context. The whole notion that there are sides is what's inherently wrong with the entire debate. To say that someone is on "a side" plays into the whole morality lingo of opposites.

I always find this phrase strange in this context. The whole notion that there are sides is what's inherently wrong with the entire debate. To say that someone is on "a side" plays into the whole morality lingo of opposites.

This is how I feel as well. It bugs me every time I see it.

Good on Sam's as well. I will be cracking open a cold one later in their honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom