• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Purexed

Banned
Whats the difference between the carrier version and the international version? Found a guy selling the international version unlocked for $400 in my neighborhood on Craigslist.

Husker86

Whats the difference between the carrier version and the international version? Found a guy selling the international version unlocked for $400 in my neighborhood on Craigslist.

If it's a i9500 then it has an Exynos processor. Bands might be different, not sure.

Check these links out for specs (it has to be either a i9500 or i9505).

i9500

i9505

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I got a software update from Verizon this morning. Anyone know what it did?
Allowed app to SD and removed the ability to unlock the bootloader or root I believe. Also a camera firmware update which installs the next time you open the camera meaning you miss that shot of your daughter laughing, or something.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I updated my S4 today with the new firmware, but now my camera is a slow when it takes pictures. Before it would take a picture and ready to take the next almost immediately. Now whenever I take a picture a "Processing" prompt comes up and it takes about a second to finish, then I can take a picture. Anyone else getting this?

Also, sorry if this was asked before, but is there any way to disable the sound the phone makes when I plug in a charger?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I updated my S4 today with the new firmware, but now my camera is a slow when it takes pictures. Before it would take a picture and ready to take the next almost immediately. Now whenever I take a picture a "Processing" prompt comes up and it takes about a second to finish, then I can take a picture. Anyone else getting this?

Also, sorry if this was asked before, but is there any way to disable the sound the phone makes when I plug in a charger?
I updated the other day (verizon) and it doesn't do this. Are you sure it's not in a different mode like hdr?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I updated the other day (verizon) and it doesn't do this. Are you sure it's not in a different mode like hdr?

Set to Auto, I might just try resetting the phone or something. I have the Sprint model, but I doubt that would change much, right?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Proccessing usually comes up after you take an HDR shot. Make sure HDR is not enabled.

Nope, it's still set to auto, I know how to change the mode, but it still does the silly little processing. Oddly enough, it takes less time to take an HDR shot than it does an Auto.

Husker86

Nope, it's still set to auto, I know how to change the mode, but it still does the silly little processing. Oddly enough, it takes less time to take an HDR shot than it does an Auto.

Random thought, do you have the pictures saving to an SD card instead of internal? If so, is the speed rating on that SD card low? How is your phone in burst mode (hold the shutter button to take 20 burst shots)? Burst mode shots cannot be saved to SD card so if those go fast it might be your card if you are using one.

lionelhutz

Is there a way to turn off the large text message box that appears on the lock screen when a new message arrives? I only want to see the icon in the status bar. I've looked in the general settings, messaging app settings, and multiple widget settings and can't seem to turn it off.

Whenever I'm talking on the phone my face keeps pressing the buttons on the screen and it's really annoying. Is this jsut the way it is? Never had this with my old iPhone.

Husker86

I think I turned that off but maybe I misunderstood what it did. I'll turn it back on and see what happens next time.
Go to settings and the My Device tab then 'Call', there's the option for the proximity sensor there.

If that's checked...do you hold the phone with your shoulder when this happens? My girlfriend holds her phone like this and has that problem sometimes. I guess it just angles the phone enough to not trigger the proximity sensor.

VPhys

I got a software update from Verizon this morning. Anyone know what it did?

Allowed app to SD and removed the ability to unlock the bootloader or root I believe. Also a camera firmware update which installs the next time you open the camera meaning you miss that shot of your daughter laughing, or something.

They also added a pop screen in an attempt to unscrupulously block free tethering. Luckily all you have to do is press the home button to get rid of it, nevertheless it's annoying.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mom called, her few week old S4 screen won't come on, but the phone as a whole is on, rings and makes all other noises it should. She says the glass is intact but the LCD below is cracked.

Hmmm....

Mom called, her few week old S4 screen won't come on, but the phone as a whole is on, rings and makes all other noises it should. She says the glass is intact but the LCD below is cracked.

Hmmm....

Tell her to contact Samsung. 9 times out of 10 they'll replace the screen for free if there's no sign it was actually dropped. They don't really advertise they do this but they want to keep their customers happy. I've done it before.

So I need to switch to ATT today and get a new phone. I am going to choose between the Galaxy S3 and S4. The S3 will be near free after I trade in my old phone (S2), whereas the S4 will be $100 (money I don't really have to spend right now). Ill be stuck with the phone for 2 years. I'll be ok picking the S3 right? Or is there something I don't know about it that is significantly worse than the S4?

TxdoHawk

So I need to switch to ATT today and get a new phone. I am going to choose between the Galaxy S3 and S4. The S3 will be near free after I trade in my old phone (S2), whereas the S4 will be $100 (money I don't really have to spend right now). Ill be stuck with the phone for 2 years. I'll be ok picking the S3 right? Or is there something I don't know about it that is significantly worse than the S4?

Unless you really desperately need a phone now, I'd wait, save the hundred, and get the S4. Two years is a lifetime in phone hardware, you don't want to already be a year behind in hardware, not at the rate Android changes.

Just my personal opinion, though. YMMV.

Edit: It's also worth pointing out the usual: $100 is nothing compared to how much you will pay over two years in AT&T phone bills.

Thanks. I just have a lot of other things to save up for right now so I'm tweaking about it. I have to switch now because our family is moving from US Cellular (just got bought out) so I'm tied to their time frame. Thanks for the advice

Thanks. I just have a lot of other things to save up for right now so I'm tweaking about it. I have to switch now because our family is moving from US Cellular (just got bought out) so I'm tied to their time frame. Thanks for the advice

you should really go for the S4 if you can. the S3 is fine now, but in two years it will be a three year old model...

VPhys

As the others have said. Think about the cost over 2 years. $4 extra per month is nothing compared to having a phone that is an entire generation newer. Getting a phone at $99 or even free, is a suckers game. Always buy flagship when it comes to Android or IOS.

The only exception is if you are getting a phone off contract. That's an entire new world where phones like the Nexus 4 make so much sense.

I agree with what other say. If at all possible, really try to get into the newest/best model. Carriers are making it more and more difficult to upgrade phones now before contracts end. So if you're going to have it for two years, its a good idea to invest in it.

Received an update this morning on my AT&T S4. Anyone know what it is?

Edit. Looks like it may have been the one from a few weeks ago and I'm just getting it now. The big Apps to SD update. Took a while to download this so I'm sure thats it.

My girl dropped her phone today and the screen isn't working. Its all black with some lines on the top and she can see a little of the screen, rest is black.

Will AT&T fix it or should she use one of those mail-in places? They say $119 online for glass repair.

codhand

Just joined the S4 club with Verizon yesterday. Only used iPhones, thus far...anything i should i know coming from an iPhone that might not be obvious?

also am i really playing .Flac files on a smart phone? is this real life?

Just joined the S4 club with Verizon yesterday. Only used iPhones, thus far...anything i should i know coming from an iPhone that might not be obvious?
long press home button = multitasking app switcher
long press menu button = search
long press back button = activate/deactivate multi-window pulltab

i hear it plays MKV fresh out of the box too...

lionelhutz

1. To get the most out of the phone embrace Google services as much as possible (or as much as you're comfortable with)

2. In addition to the Settings menu, each program will also have a Settings menu. Some settings require a long press to see more options (I think just the Samsung gesture features)

I made the same switch a week or two ago and I don't regret the change. Some apps and functions on the phone aren't as smooth as my iPhone 4S, but the screen size and quality of the display make up for almost all of the small complaints I have with the phone.

codhand

long press home button = multitasking app switcher
long press menu button = search
long press back button = activate/deactivate multi-window pulltab

perfect, exactly the shit i normally figure out one year into owning a phone

they showed me where gesture stuff is but seemed superfluous to me, any thoughts?

any killer exclusive apps i couldn't get on iphone? i'll be browsing this thread's history a bit today...

i guess that when i cant find a function/app i'm accustomed to on iphone, the idea is that there are options for it in GooglePlay apps?

like im assuming now, theres various alarm apps probably...

1. To get the most out of the phone embrace Google services as much as possible (or as much as you're comfortable with)

2. In addition to the Settings menu, each program will also have a Settings menu. Some settings require a long press to see more options (I think just the Samsung gesture features)

I made the same switch a week or two ago and I don't regret the change. Some apps and functions on the phone aren't as smooth as my iPhone 4S, but the screen size and quality of the display make up for almost all of the small complaints I have with the phone.

thank, yeah no regrets so far, i notice more lag when going in and out of apps, but better than crashing in and out of them.

iphone would show me who sent a text message, or give me the first line ie "hey how's it goin....", of a notification, it seems S4 just tells me i have a notification with a generic message, anyway to get it more specific without unlocking the screen?

anything cool about this firmware update im running, that wasnt present in the prior version? EDIT, it linked the release notes PDF

lionelhutz

perfect, exactly the shit i normally figure out one year into owning a phone

they showed me where gesture stuff is but seemed superfluous to me, any thoughts?

any killer exclusive apps i couldn't get on iphone? i'll be browsing this thread's history a bit today...

i guess that when i cant find a function/app i'm accustomed to on iphone, the idea is that there are options for it in GooglePlay apps?

like im assuming now, theres various alarm apps probably...

thank, yeah no regrets so far, i notice more lag when going in and out of apps, but better than crashing in and out of them.

iphone would show me who sent a text message, or give me the first line ie "hey how's it goin....", of a notification, it seems S4 just tells me i have a notification with a generic message, anyway to get it more specific without unlocking the screen?

anything cool about this firmware update im running, that wasnt present in the prior version? EDIT, it linked the release notes PDF

Try Messages > Menu > Settings > Preview Message (make sure that's selected)

Husker86

Also go in to S-Voice (double tap Home button) then go into settings and turn off the "Double tap home to open S-Voice". This removes that slight lag when you hit the home button in an app to go back to home screen. Unless you like S-Voice.

codhand

Also go in to S-Voice (double tap Home button) then go into settings and turn off the "Double tap home to open S-Voice". This removes that slight lag when you hit the home button in an app to go back to home screen. Unless you like S-Voice.

no, i like speech to text though, isnt that different kinda like how Siri sucked balls, and yet voice to text on iphone actually worked?

Husker86

no, i like speech to text though, isnt that different kinda like how Siri sucked balls, and yet voice to text on iphone actually worked?

Yeah. S-Voice is basically Siri, just an app, while the speech-to-text is separate. Also, Google Now is sort of like Siri (but better in some ways as it can present a lot of information to you before you think you need it), however it can't be used to send texts without touching the phone like Siri can. When you hold menu from the homescreen it opens Google Now (AKA Google Search on Android phones). It's pretty nifty.

Go to lockscreen settings and you can enable lockscreen shortcuts which are nice; you swipe up from the icon of the app and it will unlock phone and go to that app right away.

codhand

Go to lockscreen settings and you can enable lockscreen shortcuts which are nice; you swipe up from the icon of the app and it will unlock phone and go to that app right away.

that is cool, getting Google Now, now..

lag fixed, unfortunately no app can fix the crummy speakerphone

not getting the little red bubble email indicators on my gmail icon, just my work email icon, just a clicking sound when an email arrives,

way to change this?

rc213

Galaxy S4 MHL 2.0 Adapter on the cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XGK688/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I picked this adapter up this week to play movies from my phone to HDTV while I wait for the Nexus 7. It's cheap compared to Samsungs official adapter but the quality seems to be top notch. It says it supports GS4 but on the packaging it arrived it stated only Note II and GSIII. However I opened and connected right away without a power adapter and it works like a MHL 2.0 adapter should.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thanks for linking to that. I recently got a Chromecast but this would be useful to me as well and it's relatively cheap.

I've just ordered a Galaxy S4! I'm so happy. My phone is a HTC Desire, which I bought in 2010 and I've been waiting for a replacement for all these years. It's so slow and old and I don't even try watching a Youtube video on it because I'm afraid it will crash. I've been following the news about the latest phones, reading all the reviews every day for the past few years, thinking 'this or that phone wil be mine'.

I feel better than in Christmas!

codhand

half the people that text me it says at the bottom of their message "CB#: [Their Number]" and I have the my CB# option unchecked

Just got my S4 and there are a few things that are pissing me off about it. I hate that the keyboard doesn't pick your autocorrect word when you hit the spacebar, causing you to select it from the word bank up top. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better keyboard if they exist?

Also, while I didn't mind the stock browser for my S2, I'm really not digging the S4s browser. Mainly the lack of a word warp feature. What's a better browser to use?

Lastly are there any online resources for good apps to get/replace stock ones on my phone? I've had a droid for the part couple years so I have a basic idea but I'm sure I'm ignorant towards a lot of stuff

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just got my S4 and there are a few things that are pissing me off about it. I hate that the keyboard doesn't pick your autocorrect word when you hit the spacebar, causing you to select it from the word bank up top. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better keyboard if they exist?

Also, while I didn't mind the stock browser for my S2, I'm really not digging the S4s browser. Mainly the lack of a word warp feature. What's a better browser to use?

Lastly are there any online resources for good apps to get/replace stock ones on my phone? I've had a droid for the part couple years so I have a basic idea but I'm sure I'm ignorant towards a lot of stuff
Keyboards to try: SwiftKey (Love it), Swype, or the Google Keyboard. I'm with you on the stock keyboard...it's absolute fucking garbage. No auto correct is a sin.
Browsers: I like the stock browser on my S3, but if I'm not using it, I'm using the Dolphin Browser. Maybe give that a try? You can also try using Chrome or the Chrome beta.
I replaced my stock messaging app with Sliding Messaging Pro. I love the look and feel to it and it's been really stable for me.

And I use Nova Launcher to replace the TouchWiz launcher.

Keyboards to try: SwiftKey (Love it), Swype, or the Google Keyboard. I'm with you on the stock keyboard...it's absolute fucking garbage. No auto correct is a sin.
Browsers: I like the stock browser on my S3, but if I'm not using it, I'm using the Dolphin Browser. Maybe give that a try? You can also try using Chrome or the Chrome beta.
I replaced my stock messaging app with Sliding Messaging Pro. I love the look and feel to it and it's been really stable for me.

And I use Nova Launcher to replace the TouchWiz launcher.

what's strange is its totally capable of it, the international unlocked version has the option for it, but it's off and not configurable on the US carrier versions.

Top Bottom