• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite - 802.11 connections now possible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

http://www.sanswire.com/intro.htm

Introduction

Our goal from the time we made our first wireless connection, has been to create a way that our subscribers could move freely around the country while staying connected to the Internet at high-speed. Therefore, we have developed the Stratellite that will provide the high-altitude wireless transmission platform for what we believe is the most exciting
telecommunications project of our generation, our National Wireless Broadband Network.

These installations provided valuable information that is now being used to build the nation’s first National Wireless Broadband Network utilizing high-altitude airships called “Stratellites” that will allow subscribers to access the Internet wirelessly from anywhere in the United States and parts of Canada and Mexico. Not only will our subscribers have access, but any person with a wireless device that operates in the 802.11 protocol will be able to access the Internet at high-speed. The Stratellites will be positioned in the stratosphere, 65,000 feet (approx. 13 miles) high and provide a clear line-of-site platform for reaching an entire metropolitan area.

Neo_ZX

I wnoder how they're planning to keep this thing afloat... and what about shit like thunderstorms? Or is that already above the clouds?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Customer Service: "Sorry you've lost your connection, theres a problem with our service, one of the routers has gone down"

blimp.jpg

Miguel

Ghost said:
Customer Service: "Sorry you've lost your connection, theres a problem with our service, one of the routers has gone down"

blimp.jpg

HAHAHA

That'd rock though...I'd pay for it and get a laptop. Be online at all times...no matter where you are :D

myzhi

Banned
Does this new technology offer much better response times then regular satellites? Otherwise, it's going to sux for gaming which will limit it's penatration.

aoi tsuki

i'm really not cool with having my data floating around in a public space, ready to be picked up by anyone with the know-how. i could see myself using my WiFi-enabled PDA to stream netradio stations, but it's just as easy and less power consuming to get a Memory Stick and drop music on that.

tenchir

I don't see how the response time will be better since it still uses radio signal.

Edit: Reading it again, it's 13 miles high so the response time should be good since it's closer to the ground than other satellites.

Phoenix

aoi tsuki said:
i'm really not cool with having my data floating around in a public space, ready to be picked up by anyone with the know-how. i could see myself using my WiFi-enabled PDA to stream netradio stations, but it's just as easy and less power consuming to get a Memory Stick and drop music on that.

If someone REALLY wanted your data, they could take it and you wouldn't even know they had it.

Drexon

Banned
Heh, just got some flashbacks from my childhood, my and my brother took turns brushing off the snow from the satellite disc during the storms. :p

aoi tsuki

Phoenix said:
If someone REALLY wanted your data, they could take it and you wouldn't even know they had it.
True, but it's a little more secure over a wired connection. Someone has to make a physical connection to another computer or line to actually get something transmitted from my box. With a wireless connection, all they need is wireless laptop or PDA. i know; i've browsed people's home networks on my PDA. i've never done any damage, just checked in to see who's read the full manual and who's read the easy startup guide.

Phoenix

aoi tsuki said:
True, but it's a little more secure over a wired connection. Someone has to make a physical connection to another computer or line to actually get something transmitted from my box. With a wireless connection, all they need is wireless laptop or PDA. i know; i've browsed people's home networks on my PDA. i've never done any damage, just checked in to see who's read the full manual and who's read the easy startup guide.

If I wanted your data I would probe your network connection for open ports and firewall headers. Once I know your firewall type I'd go looking for the backdoor password for it (and most consumer firewalls/routers have a backdoor password). With this I can gain access to your network. Lord help you if you're running Windows because I'd use the 2 year old and still unpacthed LanManager paassword crack to get Administrator on one machine. Rarely do people set up any share permissions so I now have access to every machine on your network.

On a wireless network I keep people out but setting up DHCP and only assigning as many IP addresses as I have machines in my network AND only allowing specific MAC addresses wireless access. So I can deny you 'access' to the wireless router pretty trivially, but I also know how to bypass that in the same manner as I could a wired router.

Anyone who REALLY wants in is going to get in. The average joe has absolutely nothing of importance flying through the air that cannot be obtained through a browser exploit :)

cvxfreak

Phoenix said:
If I wanted your data I would probe your network connection for open ports and firewall headers. Once I know your firewall type I'd go looking for the backdoor password for it (and most consumer firewalls/routers have a backdoor password). With this I can gain access to your network. Lord help you if you're running Windows because I'd use the 2 year old and still unpacthed LanManager paassword crack to get Administrator on one machine. Rarely do people set up any share permissions so I now have access to every machine on your network.

On a wireless network I keep people out but setting up DHCP and only assigning as many IP addresses as I have machines in my network AND only allowing specific MAC addresses wireless access. So I can deny you 'access' to the wireless router pretty trivially, but I also know how to bypass that in the same manner as I could a wired router.

Anyone who REALLY wants in is going to get in. The average joe has absolutely nothing of importance flying through the air that cannot be obtained through a browser exploit :)

In other words you have no life. I kid, I kid.

Okay I am in DALLAS

just got here a few days ago...

I told my friend to drop me downtown so I can go to the Public Library and check my email
I also checked online for WIFI hotspots in Dallas

After doing some searches I found some Cafes but not within walking distance...
So I gave up...

I walked a little bit got some lunch and sat at this little park in the shade where they have this cool water fountain...

Got my 17" PB from my backpack and turned it on to do some typing.

and bingo I got a WIFI Signal sitting here at the Park!

This is too cool!

Last time I tried this outdoors was Bryant Park, NYC

they need to hurry with this Saterllite Tech :)

I can't believe she took her kids into this waterfall thing...

72% battery life left
we need longer lasting batteries for that tech to be perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom