• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia has killed twice as many civilians in Yemen as all other groups combined

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35842708

The UN human rights chief has accused the Saudi-led coalition of causing twice as many civilian casualties as all the other forces fighting in Yemen.

Zeid Raad Al Hussein condemned "the repeated failure" of the coalition to prevent repeated deadly incidents.

He said air strikes had caused almost the coalition's civilian casualties.

More than 6,000 people, about half of them civilians, have been killed since Saudi Arabia launched a multi-national campaign against rebels in March 2015.

Saudi Arabia has denied causing large-scale civilian deaths, saying it is making every effort to avoid hitting civilian targets.

Mr Hussein's comments come three days after some 106 civilians were killed in what medics and witnesses said was an air strike on a market in Mastaba, north-west Yemen, in one of the deadliest incidents of the war.

The UN said staff who had visited the scene of the attack said, apart from a check-point about 250 metres (820 ft) away, there was no evidence it was a military target.

"Looking at the figures, it would seem that the coalition is responsible for twice as many civilian casualties as all other forces put together, virtually all as a result of air strikes," Mr Hussein said.

"They have hit markets, hospitals, clinics, schools, factories, wedding parties - and hundreds of private residences in villages, towns and cities including the capital, Sanaa."

"Despite plenty of international demarches, these awful incidents continue to occur with unacceptable regularity."

Saudi Arabia said it was investigating the attack on Mastaba, adding its forces had targeted a "gathering area" for Houthi rebel fighters about six miles (10km) away.

Zeid Raad Al Hussein however said coalition forces appeared not to have taken proper steps to distinguish between military and civilian targets, adding both they and the rebels might have committed "international crimes".

On Wednesday, Saudi Arabia's chief military spokesman, Brig Gen Ahmad al-Assiri, said the military campaign was "in the end of the major combat phase".

The coalition launched its military campaign last March with the aim of repelling the rebels and restoring exiled President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi to power.

I think it's time that the rest of the world step up their rhetoric against Saudi Arabia. Right now they pretty much have a carte blanche on murdering innocent civilians in one of the poorest countries in the world.

Mohonky

"No no, they were definitely terrorist"

Mind you it's not like the Coalitions from the West have done much better.

Ushay

"No no, they were definitely terrorist"

Mind you it's not like the Coalitions from the West have done much better.

I don't think any intervening force has done 'well' especially the west, which we conveniently don't get many reports on...

blahness

It is not like western countries including the US, the UK, and Canada aren't part of this coalition in a support role providing the weapons and intelligence that are actually used in these air strikes. Its not fair to demonize SA without looking at who is right beside them in doing this. Are any of the western countries involved actively condemning the results of the strikes? Really, that is a question I do not know the answer to and would like to find out.

<3 Swedish Margot Wallström and the government for canceling weapon deals and calling these bastards out. Every nation concerned with human rights should follow suit.

But oh yeah, cash, I forgot.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It is not like western countries including the US, the UK, and Canada aren't part of this coalition in a support role providing the weapons and intelligence that are actually used in these air strikes. Its not fair to demonize SA without looking at who is right beside them in doing this. Are any of the western countries involved actively condemning the results of the strikes? Really, that is a question I do not know the answer to and would like to find out.

Just because Western countries should be criticized for their support of SA doesn't mean it's not fair to criticize SA as well.

How many innocent muslims has the US killed?

It's time that the rest of the world step up their rhetoric against the US. Right now they pretty much have a carte blanche on murdering innocent civilians in some of the poorest countries in the world.

Not trying to dismiss the topic but honestly. When is a good time to bring this up. Noone seems to care. Ever.

Ummmm... What? The US is roundly criticized when civilians are killed as collateral damage. Here you have SA bombing busy markets that aren't even militarily important targets and we're not hearing a peep out of anyone.

Breads

Banned
Yeah I quickly realized my post was in bad taste. My frustrations aren't something I should be forcing here in Neogaf and I did realize that my post was disruptive.

Ashes

Banned
Disgusting how little value life holds in the fog of war.
Imagine those 6000 lives lying dead in the street next to each other.

blahness

Just because Western countries should be criticized for their support of SA doesn't mean it's not fair to criticize SA as well.

Ummmm... What? The US is roundly criticized when civilians are killed as collateral damage. Here you have SA bombing busy markets that aren't even militarily important targets and we're not hearing a peep out of anyone.

You are right and I should not have said that it is not fair to demonize SA, bad choice of words. What I meant to put across is that all involved should be condemned for this joint effort. I personally abhor the wanton use of air/drone strikes and feel it causes more harm and future problems than it solves.

Afrikan

So one of the nicest individuals I know at my local deli just lost his wife and children today in a bombing.

He was planning to visit his family soon. He's over here working hard 7 days a week for them and this happens.

Obviously he isn't the first or will be the last person to have to go through something like this. I don't know how he'll get through it actually. At least his father and I think mother is over here for him during this tough time.

but yeah, to say I'm pissed off right now is an understatement. I'd ask him about his family every now and then. Since I haven't started my own family yet, I kinda live through others about what to look forward to. All different types of races and religions. To see them smile and talk about their families.

So one of the nicest individuals I know at my local deli just lost his wife and children today in a bombing.

He was planning to visit his family soon. He's over here working hard 7 days a week for them and this happens.

Obviously he isn't the first or will be the last person to have to go through something like this. I don't know how he'll get through it actually. At least his father and I think mother is over here for him during this tough time.

but yeah, to say I'm pissed off right now is an understatement. I'd ask him about his family every now and then. Since I haven't started my own family yet, I kinda live through others about what to look forward to. All different types of races and religions. To see them smile and talk about their families.

Damn....

Xando

Always wonder why we (the west) give the saudi goverment a pass while claiming assad is the devil. Guessing that would be different if Assad would be buying billions in weapons from us and not russia

You are right and I should not have said that it is not fair to demonize SA, bad choice of words. What I meant to put across is that all involved should be condemned for this joint effort. I personally abhor the wanton use of air/drone strikes and feel it causes more harm and future problems than it solves.

But other parties are being condemned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom