• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia to build world's tallest tower (3,280 feet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moist

I would imagine labor costs would be much lower, they would just ship in a bunch of Indians that will work for nothing

I'm also going to make the assumption that SA's version of OSHA is quite a bit more laxed if they even exist.

the last thing SA would want is a tourist attraction, as most of you don't know muslims pilgrimage in the tens of millions every year to mecca, the vast majority of them visit jeddah on their way in or out of the city since mecca doesn't have an airport(for religious reasons off-course). i could see this having a much greater success than burj dubai.

mackattk

I honestly have a hard time trying to understand the logistics of building something this tall. Just getting equipment to that level would have to take some insane engineering.

On a side note, I really wish those images were a higher resolution.

MaXsPoT

wasting money when we have people hungry all of the world, sheeesh...

I would agree if the government was building it while there are poor people in the country. However, it's Alwaleed who is going to have it built with his own money. You can't judge him for what he does with it.

Even with labor costs this is crazy cheap sounding. 16 miles of light rail here in Minneapolis is going to potentially cost us $1.6 billion.

I assume that the Minneapolis budget includes all kinds of things the Saudi Kingdom won't bother paying for, like environmental impact studies, reimbursement for private land used, fair wages, insurance, etc.

w/e happen to that tower in china that would beat the burj and be built in 90 days?

fake edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City_(Changsha)
On July 25, 2013, it was reported that construction was halted by the authorities, because the building did not receive building permission.[32] On August 14, 2013, China Daily USA reported that the actual onsite assembly won't start until April 2014, according to Wang Shuguang, general manager of Broad Group's US operation.[33] On September 4, 2013, China.com.cn reported that the project had begun environmental assessment, the first of a number of stages in obtaining official planning approval for the project.[9] By October 30, the building was in the final approval phases, according to Broad Group.[34]

seems like it might actually happen lol. the failure is gonna be glorious.

This is the new arms race? Tall buildings? I kinda look forward to the architectural marvels and science fiction skylines, but isn't this a colossal waste of money and time...?

DieH@rd

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world...ld-tallest-building-ever/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

140416164143-saudi-freedom-tower-cloud-view-horizontal-gallery.jpg

140416162047-saudi-freedom-tower-sky-terrace-vertical-gallery.jpg

---------------
At that sky terrace.

I cant wait to see Tom Cruise jumping from this building in Mission Impossible 7. :D

Übermatik;108671058 said:
This is the new arms race? Tall buildings? I kinda look forward to the architectural marvels and science fiction skylines, but isn't this a colossal waste of money and time...?

The demolition videos will be quite the spectacle many years from now.

Saudi Arabia begging for attention again. Tsk, tsk. But I guess it'll be cool, I wonder who will be the first to climb to the top in one of those terrifying thrill seaker videos. I love those. I'm excited to see how this building turns out

I assume that the Minneapolis budget includes all kinds of things the Saudi Kingdom won't bother paying for, like environmental impact studies, reimbursement for private land used, fair wages, insurance, etc.

Even the design, engineering, materials...I wouldn't feel safe in a building so tall that cost so little.

hope it wins top observation tower because imo thats all that matters. Was pretty disappointed that the burj is in 3rd behind 2 of chinas.

antenna wankery is always annoying too. Wish more skyscrapers would just do it like shanghai where the top is pretty much where the observation deck is (the high level one is at the 'handle' of the tower)

Shanghai_World_Financial_Center_wallpaper_4.jpg

siddhu33

Someone's compensating for something...

Honestly, if they manage it it will be a structural engineering marvel...but still.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
They've been trying to get a 1km tower going in Saudi for fucking years. I've seen it pop up now and again, be very interested to see when/if they ever really do make groundwork.

EDIT: My mistake, quick bit of research and they have actually started construction.

Madness

Nah they've invested billions around the world, they'll still be stinking rich even when the black gold runs dry.

That's not the point. The only reason the US currently tolerates Saudi Arabia is its large oil reserves, it's influence in OPEC, it's ability to overpay for expensive US military hardware, its tolerance for Israel while keeping an iron grip on its citizens.

Once the gold runs out, it's entire economy which is dependent on that is in trouble. It's not a tourist haven by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it really a place to invest in, it's not a financial hub etc. Even if they can diversify their economy, the days of purchasing military hardware like that is over. It's why Qatar wanted the FIFA world cup, use all that money to build new infrastructure, world class stadiums and facilities and then show the world, so that when they also deplete reserves, people around the world feel comfortable going there, it can be used for business, tourism, vacations etc. UAE has everyone beat with this.

sphagnum

Banned
It's like they don't see the irony.

One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." Then he further asked, "What is Ihsan (perfection)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you cannot achieve this state of devotion then you must consider that He is looking at you." Then he further asked, "When will the Hour be established?" Allah's Apostle replied, "The answerer has no better knowledge than the questioner. But I will inform you about its portents.

When a slave (lady) gives birth to her master.
When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of tall buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah.

The Prophet then recited: "Verily, with Allah (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour--." (31. 34) Then that angel (Gabriel) left and the Prophet asked his companions to call him back, but they could not see him. Then the Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." Abu 'Abdullah said: He (the Prophet) considered all that as a part of faith. Sahih al-Bukhari, 1:2:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom