• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA approves Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana!

Alex

Those trailers make my head hurt. Is there susposed to be anything really stand out about this game, or is it just japanophile fodder?

jarrod said:
SCEA let me down. :(

If they'd canned it they'd just had more people jumping on them about how they're anti 2D (while ignoring how many 2D games they've allowed over already), so they've made the right decision. The game got good reviews and it looks pretty good (yah the animation isn't so great, but it's a 2D RPG and most of them don't have good animation).

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If they'd canned it they'd just had more people jumping on them about how they're anti 2D (while ignoring how many 2D games they've allowed over already), so they've made the right decision. The game got good reviews and it looks pretty good (yah the animation isn't so great, but it's a 2D RPG and most of them don't have good animation).
The game looks like crap... this is one game which definitely shouldn't have met SCEA's standards... it really looks like a PS1 title, moreso than Metal Slug 3 anyway. Like I've always said, there's really no reason to SCEA's nightmare approval process...

Shouta

They really should've let WD get Growlanser 1 over here because that looks and plays better than Eternal Mana if you ask me ;p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jarrod said:
The game looks like crap... this is one game which definitely shouldn't have met SCEA's standards... it really looks like a PS1 title, moreso than Metal Slug 3 anyway. Like I've always said, there's really no reason to SCEA's nightmare approval process...

In stills this game looks gorgeous and I have seen the movies and they do look nice.

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
In stills this game looks gorgeous and I have seen the movies and they do look nice.
It looks (and moves) like a cheap 1997 Korean PC game... Metal Slug 3 and SVC Chaos look lightyears better despite their lower native resolution.

Soul4ger

Crazymoogle said:
Why do I get the feeling this will be another trap in the vein of SaGa Frontier 2?

Actually, I think this probably plays better than it looks. I'll buy it, just 'cause, well, I want it, and I'd like to support NISA.

ferricide

i don't get the hate. the artstyle is fruity, but saying this game looks like shit is ridiculous. it's high res, and has some decent art.

i'm happy because i've always wanted to try an atelier game. if it turns out to be mediocre, oh well.

i can't believe people are actually arguing in FAVOR of failing a game. blows my fucking mind.

madara

Awesome!! Thanks great news.

P.S. Im really sick of this BS this forum is giving to RPG threads lately. I dont want me to start posting in every FPS, sports game thread about how ugly and borin game looks then keep heck out of these! That includes those that think they are rpg fans but only play eastern ones.

jarrod

Banned
ferricide said:
i don't get the hate. the artstyle is fruity, but saying this game looks like shit is ridiculous. it's high res, and has some decent art.

i'm happy because i've always wanted to try an atelier game. if it turns out to be mediocre, oh well.

i can't believe people are actually arguing in FAVOR of failing a game. blows my fucking mind.
It's not so much about the game looking bad/wanting it to fail as it is wanting some even handedness in standards from SCEA product approval.

ferricide said:

I agree with your points, but also consider this is a thread with people who enjoyed a Kawazu game.

Pana, SaGa Frontier 2 has superb graphics, superb music, even a great little story for the first half of the game. But the actual gameplay makes about as much sense as Mr. Burns' hand-carved Spruce Moose.

ferricide

jarrod said:
It's not so much about the game looking bad/wanting it to fail as it is wanting some even handedness in standards from SCEA product approval.
well, welcome to PLANET EARTH where this is not possible. =P

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Crazymoogle said:
Pana, SaGa Frontier 2 has superb graphics, superb music, even a great little story for the first half of the game. But the actual gameplay makes about as much sense as Mr. Burns' hand-carved Spruce Moose.

The game is not perfect, but all the plusses you listed more than make up for the deficiences.

I cannot believe I have not re-started the game now that I disabled VSM on my TV :).

jarrod said:

There is, visually to your average gamer this will be one of the better looking 2D games on the market because it's in hi res. Alot of casuals don't care about smoother animation like hardcores do. So that's what they're catering to, the majority. What they're doing with games like GGX and Atelier, which don't have the best animation overall for their genres, but they're atleast trying to push 2D graphics in some ways. Most 2D makers now don't even try to do that, they're just rehashing the same look and same engines over and over.

Tsubaki

Shouta said:
They really should've let WD get Growlanser 1 over here because that looks and plays better than Eternal Mana if you ask me ;p.

Well, it also plays better than darn near every game that was ever made. A shame, SCEA. A shame.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
There is, visually to your average gamer this will be one of the better looking 2D games on the market because it's in hi res. Alot of casuals don't care about smoother animation like hardcores do. So that's what they're catering to, the majority. What they're doing with games like GGX and Atelier, which don't have the best animation overall for their genres, but they're atleast trying to push 2D graphics in some ways. Most 2D makers now don't even try to do that, they're just rehashing the same look and same engines over and over.
So let me get this straight, resolution = casual & animation = hardcore? Good luck proving that one... also those GGX sprites have been "rehashed" for 6 seperate games.

Funny thing though, Metal Slug 3 for PS2 actually runs in high resolution. Whoops! :)

jarrod

Banned
ferricide said:
does anyone actually KNOW that SCEA failed growlanser or are people just jumping to conclusions?
Growlanser 2-3? SCEA forced the bundle, Ireland's confirmed that numerous times. SCEA also won't allow PS1 games to be bundled with PS2 games either, hence WD won't bring over Growlanser 1 as it just isn't worth localizing a PS1 RPG release these days.

"also those GGX sprites have been "rehashed" for 6 seperate games."

And it still looks better than any other fighter (not from an animation standpoint though). Till another fighter actually steps up to that resolution, they might as well rehash it. They've upped the bar, it's just no one has met them there. I don't see why 2D developers should catch a break. Sony will can mid level looking 3D games too, so they're doing the same with 2D games also. 2D developers need to step it up.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"also those GGX sprites have been "rehashed" for 6 seperate games."

And it still looks better than any other fighter (not from an animation standpoint though). Till another fighter actually steps up to that resolution, they might as well rehash it. They've upped the bar, it's just no one has met them there. I don't see why 2D developers should catch a break. Sony will can mid level looking 3D games too, so they're doing the same with 2D games also. 2D developers need to step it up.
The RumbleFish? Arc's been pushing the same GGX engine longer than Capcom did SF2, with more releases as well... resolution doesn't mean everything however, I'm not sure most casuals would find GGX better looking than SF3, and I take issue with your continual claim that's the case. Prove it.

" I'm not sure most casuals would find GGX better looking than SF3"

I doubt anyone would. That's a different type of comparison because they're both pushing 2D in 2 different ways, SF3 with animation and GGX with its hi res. I'm talking abou the majority of 2D fighters, show a casual gamers GGX and then show them something like KoF. With all the effects GGX is throwing around, and the hi res it's going to catch their eye much easier than KoF would.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
" I'm not sure most casuals would find GGX better looking than SF3"

I doubt anyone would. That's a different type of comparison because they're both pushing 2D in 2 different ways, SF3 with animation and GGX with its hi res. I'm talking abou the majority of 2D fighters, show a casual gamers GGX and then show them something like KoF. With all the effects GGX is throwing around, and the hi res it's going to catch their eye much easier than KoF would.
So what about your previous statement? Wouldn't SF3 only appeal to harcores and GGX to casuals? Why bring KOF into this, it doesn't excel in either area?

Because i'm talking about the majority of 2D games. SF3 is a special case because it's actually trying to do something new and Sony let that over as you've noticed. Sony seems to be focusing on those games that are trying to push 2D games forward, that's likely a reason that Atelier got through with what seems to be no problem, while other 2D RPG's games have struggled.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Because i'm talking about the majority of 2D games. SF3 is a special case because it's actually trying to do something new and Sony let that over as you've noticed. Sony seems to be focusing on those games that are trying to push 2D games forward, that's likely a reason that Atelier got through with what seems to be no problem, while other 2D RPG's games have struggled.
SCEA let it over... as part of a budget bundle deal. Meanwhile GG keeps getting full price stand alone releases...

...besides which, what's the problem with MS3 PS2, given it runs in high res? Where's the even handedness in SCEA standards you insist I'm missing?

Shouta

Growlanser 2-3? SCEA forced the bundle, Ireland's confirmed that numerous times. SCEA also won't allow PS1 games to be bundled with PS2 games either, hence WD won't bring over Growlanser 1 as it just isn't worth localizing a PS1 RPG release these days

Vic wants to bring over Growlanser 1 as well but he knows SCEA won't let them bring it over.

"...besides which, what's the problem with MS3 PS2, given it runs in high res? Where's the even handedness in SCEA standards you insist I'm missing?"

There's too little info on why that was canned anyway. Some says its a pricing issue, SNK wanted it to be full price (well 40 which is full price for a Sony 1st party game) while Sony wanted it to be a budge title because it was old.

"Vic wants to bring over Growlanser 1 as well but he knows SCEA won't let them bring it over."

He wants to update it to the PS2, or just translate the PSone version? I can't imagine why he'd want to do that. It'd be lucky to sell 10k units. He should just bring over G4 and pack in Growlanser as an extra, I doubt Sony would say anything about that. :p

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
There's too little info on why that was canned anyway. Some says its a pricing issue, SNK wanted it to be full price (well 40 which is full price for a Sony 1st party game) while Sony wanted it to be a budge title because it was old.
That's purely speculation. Ben Herman said it was because of MS3's visuals not meeting SCEA standards, no pricing issue involved.

SolidSnakex said:
He should just bring over G4 and pack in Growlanser as an extra, I doubt Sony would say anything about that. :p
SCEA policy won't allow PS1 and PS2 games to be bundled. They don't want to confuse consumers (despite it being done in Japan).

Shouta said:
Vic wants to bring over Growlanser 1 as well but he knows SCEA won't let them bring it over.
How about Growlanser 4?

Shouta

I don't know about Growlanser 4, I actually haven't asked him about it. I do know that it's his favorite of the Growlansers for the amount of polish put into the game by the creators.

I'm hoping for a Stella Deus announcement next..:) N-E ways...Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
2ch_gets.gif

Soul4ger

Anyone hear some of the music from this game? It's really awesome, or so thinks I... Great stuff, I want to play it more just after listening.

Dead

well not really...yet
Soul4ger said:
Anyone hear some of the music from this game? It's really awesome, or so thinks I... Great stuff, I want to play it more just after listening.
yup, the OST is pretty great and worth a listen, too bad I deleted it by accident tho :/

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, the graphics look really nice in this game, I could care less about animation at this point... animation is important in a fighting game, but not as much as in an RPG...

I wouldn't mind Career Soft releasing Growlanser 1 for PSP... I've always wanted to try this game, and that would seem like the best place for a game like that, if we want it to be released in the states. Growlanser 1 and Tales of Phantasia PSX were the 2 biggest PSX games that never came out in the US for me.

Cool! I'm at least interested. I don't know if I'll get it or not - I'll wait to see what others' impressions are - but I'm glad the game is getting the chance to come over here.

jiggle

Soul4ger said:

Yeah, the soundtrack is nice. Especially the opening theme. I loved it the very first time the chanting starts.

One great thing is you won't have to buy the soundstrack to hear all the songs(although that'd make a great free packin for preorders^_^). The game has a "Omake" section that you open up as you collect items in the game. The section includes the all the music from the game for you to listen to, among other things:)

djtiesto said:
Yeah, the graphics look really nice in this game, I could care less about animation at this point... animation is important in a fighting game, but not as much as in an RPG...

I don't know what the fuzz was over the animation. It's not like it's particular worse than any of the 2D RPGs that have been around. IMO, the characters animate pretty well, especially in battle. I remember distinctively that at a few moments in the game, I actually noticed their animation, which I hardly do.

Top Bottom