• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Science fiction DVD recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaildog

I've got all the Futuramas and it's made me crave a decent science fiction series, and this sounds stupid but I've barely watched any (apart from Red Dwarf, heheh). I do remember enjoying old Star Treks a bit, but there seem to be like 6 different series. Can anyone recommend some TV series on DVD that preferably has a continuing and progressing story which actually gets somewhere, ie well thought out from the start? Cool packaging and extras is a plus too; I'm a bit of a DVD collector, although I wouldn't want to spend hundreds and hundreds.

Edit: I'm also not interested in too much scientific and technical jargon nor space battles, just the cool things like time travel paradoxes and aliens and such.

Falch

I'd say check out Babylon 5. It's a very story driven scifi series. Terrific series.

I'd recommend Space Above & Beyond too, but it's not out on dvd (yet). :(

FnordChan

Hrm. Finding SF television that fits your guidelines is a tad tricky. Tell you what - I'm going to suggest a bunch of stuff that isn't quite what you're looking for and throw in plenty of caveats. Hopefully you'll find something in here to be interesting.

B0000714AP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Twilight Zone is a classic for a reason, and positively drips well thougth out SF ideas. However, it's episodic, so you aren't going to find anything remotely resembling an episodic storyline here.

B00006HAZ4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Babylon 5 tells a terrific story with a clear beginning, middle, and end, with only a few bumps in the road along the way. It has terrific characters, some great aliens, and the best consistent storyline to be had in televised science fiction. It's also more on the space opera side, with a fair number of space battles thrown in. You also have to suffer through a mediocre-to-lousy first season to get to the good stuff. That said, I recommend it highly.

B00004Y7DZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Prisoner is actually more of a psychological thriller, but there's plenty of SF elements in this particularly enigmatic classic. And, while it has an ending, I make no promises that you'll find it to be particularly coherant. Overall, however, this is one hell of a show.

B0000AQS0F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Firefly was one of the best things to hit science fiction television in ages, with an interesting ongoing saga, absolutely terrific character interaction, great worldbuilding, and some pretty decent writing. However, it's far more on the space opera side of things than it sounds like you're looking for, and it was cancelled halfway through the first season. Still, it's tremendous fun and the whole shebang (14 hour long episodes) can be had dirt cheap.

There are also a few anime shows that you might find to be of interest:

B0000BWVD6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Infinite Ryvius can be summed up as Lord of the Flies in space. Oh, there's a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea: a bunch of teenagers are stranded on a spaceship at which point things begin to break down. It's got a terrific ensemble cast, the shifting politics of who controls the ship is fascinating, and they have a particularly interesting giant robot. It's good, solid SF; however, it's not exactly dripping neat SF concepts.

B00012QLR8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I like to cite Serial Experiments Lain as the most successful attempt to translate cyberpunk to either television or film. (Blade Runner is amazing, but it predates Cyberpunk as a literary movement by several years, so I'm ignoring it on a technicality.) Lain dwells on our intereaction between the real and virtual world, how we deal with technology, all the favorite cyberpunk tropes - and, best of all, it does it without a trace of chrome or half-baked cliches. (Don't get me wrong, Neuromancer is an amazing book, but it kinda hurts to see Gibson's ideas beaten into the ground repeatedly.) I do warn you that some of the ideas occasionally wander over from the Cerebral aisle and into the Pretention section, and the ending is a tad vague. I think it's glorious, but tastes do vary. In my incredibly humble opinion, Lain is the most interesting show to come out of anime in the past decade or so.

B00024I18M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You may have preconceptions about Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex based on it's incarnation as either movies or comic books, but you should really let 'em go right there. As much as I love Mamoru Oshii, the GitS film puts me to sleep every single time. And, while I really like the visual style of Shirow's artwork, his comics aren't what you woudl call real, real coherant. Fortunatly, the TV show manages to combine the best of Oshii's storytelling (long on ideas and great characters, without getting lost in the philosophical rambling he can fall prey to) and Shirow's artwork (stylish as all hell - even if the Major really needs to buy a pair of pants). Stand Alone Complex alternates between one-shots of varying quality (some are terrific, some are decidedly subpar) and a truly ass-kicking continuing story-arc about someone known as the Laughing Man. I won't say any more - if you have any interest in cyberpunk whatsoever - which, in this case, centers heavily on cybernetic modifications, how society deals with it, and the dangers it can pose - this is mandatory viewing. It's not quite up there with Lain in my book, but is wonderful in it's own way...which, in this case, involves special law enforcement units and some truly impressive fight scenes. This is about to be released on DVD in the US, so keep an eye out for it.

Finally, a couple of shows that aren't readily available on DVD. First, Max Headroom - yes, that Max Headroom - made a terrific crack at cyberpunk television and was way, way ahead of it's time. Intelligent storytelling, black humor, savage social satire - the first season is terrific stuff. Then the second season is rather less terrific, and then it's cancelled, and so much for that. Keep an eye out for the inevitable (I hope!) DVD release. And, on the anime front, Planetes is an extrordinary series set in a near future where mandkind has managed to get a solid foothold in space, there's a thriving, vibrant colony on the moon, commercial spacelfight is common place...and the worst job in space is picking up debris in orbit. There's an ongoing storyarc, wonderful characters, and some really solid writing, especially once the series settles down and really sticks with the original comic as it's source material. That said, there's no sign of aliens, time travel, or anything remotely like it to be found here, just the nuts and bolts of space travel. It may be a bit on the technical side, but it's still the best damn TV show - anime or otherwise - to come down the pike in ages.

FnordChan

Tabris

I'm going to completly ignore what you want, and just post what I think rocks!

1) Firefly - 5/5

2) Space: Above and Beyond - 4/5

3) Farscape - 4/5

Top 3 TV shows ever of science fiction.

B0000687BN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I love this old British sci-fi show. The plots dealing with invading aliens doesn't always make sense, but what really makes the show is its hip 1970 vision of the future world of 1980. It's simultaneously cool and campy. The women wear catsuits and the men smoke like chimneys. You gotta love it.

This show has also been meticulously restored, the image is sharp and vivid. You'd never believe it was over 30 years old.

8bit

Knows the Score
Firefly & The Prisoner seconded(or thirded, or whatever). Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is also worth checking out.

Tabris said:
2) Space: Above and Beyond - 4/5

Normally, I would just laugh first at your list, since I'd even put Doctor Who up above some of your choices (and SAC above all of them). Space: Above and Beyond is a show very well worth remembering, though. You could tell the writing team was fighting like hell to not completely sell out, and the core science fiction concept behind the alien species is really, really cool.

Anyhow, SAC is definitely my clear #1 choice above all comers save perhaps 2001.

Now let me distract you with a good quote.

[Watching "Spaceballs: The Movie". They reach "now" in the movie.]
Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?
Colonel Sandurz: You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now!
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now!
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.

snaildog

Thanks a lot everyone - I'll have a good look at some of those recommendations. I'm particularly interested in Babylon 5. Cheers!

Bigfoot

I just wish Space Above and Beyond got a proper ending. At least is was only one season, so it won't be too hard on my wallet when it comes out on DVD.

SKluck

Banned
Kinda odd no one has mentioned Stargate yet.

I just watched the firefly dvds again and I just got to say, again, Firefly is probably the greatest tragedy ever in the history of scifi. Everything was perfect, awesome cast, awesome story, awesome settings, the special effects were great... it was accurate (no sound in space), just beautiful.

Fuck FOX man. It was expensive to shoot, but Firefly was worth every penny that went into each episode.

snaildog

To any Babylon 5 fans, do you think it's worth buying the pilot episode to watch before Season 1? I like getting the whole story in order, but from what I gathered it's a bit of a seperate entity made a year before the first season?

Shompola

Banned
You can skip The Gathering altogether if you want. Sure there are some references to it in season 1 babylon 5 but they aren't really important IMO, besides they show some footage of The Gathering later on I think when Lyta Alexander arrives to Babylon 5 in season 2?

But when you buy The Gathering you also get The Beginning if you're talking about R1 here, and The Beginning is really good. The Beginning you should watch after season 4.

Anyway I recommend Galaxy Quest if you want parody/comedy.

Alucard

Banned
STARGATE SG-1

I haven't watched much of Farscape but the little I've seen hasn't left a favourable impression on me. The acting just seems...bad. :-\ What am I missing?

The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are great TV shows. Regardless of a planned "story" from the get go not being there...there are some stories that cross multiple seasons and both are quality space oriented dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom