• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists create infertile mosquitoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35024794

UK scientists say they have reached a milestone in the fight against malaria by creating a genetically modified mosquito that is infertile.

The plan is to wipe out the insects that spread malaria to people via bites, Nature Biotechnology reports.

Two copies of the mutant gene render the malaria-carrying female insect completely barren.

But one copy is enough for a mosquito mum or dad to pass it on to offspring.

This should perpetually spread the infertility gene throughout the population so the species dwindles or dies out.

However, the Imperial College London team say more safety tests are needed, meaning it will be a decade before the mutant mosquitoes can be released into the wild.

One step closer to the eradication of Malaria and it's blood sucking source.

Palpable

I wonder if wiping out mosquitoes from the planet will affect anything else negatively...

........naaaaah

Chichikov

Is this a good idea?
Over a million people die every year from mosquito-borne diseases. Yes, it's a good idea.
Like always with those things, you need to be careful, but similar mosquito eradication efforts have been done before, and the effect on the environment seems to be minimal.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Neat, but I think I prefer the method where genetically modified males produce offspring that can't make it past the larval stage. It just ends at that step there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wonder if wiping out mosquitoes from the planet will affect anything else negatively...

........naaaaah

(I have read) There's a lot of research showing they are not a vital link in the food chain and not even a source of meaningful nutrition for bats.

pa22word

........naaaaah

Not every mosquito spreads diseases or even bites. Only a few out of the hundreds do. Considering the massive human toll malaria takes (including my uncle, just last year! But hey, those mosquitoes just gotta live...) each year, a few species of mosquito is a small price to pay. Very.

Mr. Sam

So it seems the infertility gene only kicks in after what, a few generations? I was wondering how an infertility gene would get passed on.

Serious déjà vu from this. Feel like I read this years ago.

I'm sure I have as well. Maybe mosquitoes are so hated, several teams on scientists have been working on the exact same thing.

Chichikov

Serious déjà vu from this. Feel like I read this years ago.
It's not a new technique, it has been employed very successfully as early as the 60s to control and eradicate a bunch of insects.
I believe the breakthroughs here is that they manage to do with the mosquito that spreads malaria.

way more

If we eradicate malaria what could the unforeseen consequences be? I'd rather my little Parker remain free of things like non-malaria mosquitos, GMO's and vaccinations. We don't know for certain how they effect you later.

Keasar

And then before you know it BOOM:
Children+of+Men3.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In the year 2525, if man is still alive.

This sounds like it could go wrong in many ways, that's my uneducated movie-plot filled instant opinion.

We'll be fighting to cure human infertility caused by life sucking mutant malaria mosquitos in the 2040s I tell you!
That's if the ASI doesn't wipe us out/grant immortality before then.

Palpable

(I have read) There's a lot of research showing they are not a vital link in the food chain and not even a source of meaningful nutrition for bats.

Good. I hate those little bastards.

I'm guessing you don't live in a part of the world where malaria is a danger.

Not every mosquito spreads diseases or even bites. Only a few out of the hundreds do. Considering the massive human toll malaria takes (including my uncle, just last year! But hey, those mosquitoes just gotta live...) each year, a few species of mosquito is a small price to pay. Very.

Perhaps I didn't convey what I meant very well. What I meant was "would making mosquitoes extinct cause anything harm?" and my answer at the end was "naaaaah".

As in; I don't like mosquitoes.

........naaaaah

Estimated that half the people that ever lived on Earth died in relation to a mosquito. You remove them from the equation, something's gotta give.
Malaria is a shit disease and this will make so many peoples Lives better in the short run, but I'd love to see some scientific projected population growths if there were no mossies around.

Schrade

I would think the mosquito larvae are the main thing that is eaten and not the adults.

This might affect frogs, fish, other insects, etc.

clav

Might be useful for stopping the spread of Dengue fever.

Oh, we have to wait because more safety tests required.

Source?

I would assume mosquitoes can be a source of food for fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom