• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screens and details: It's Mr. Pants

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/538/538304p1.html
Anyone who speculated that It's Mr. Pants is a retooled DK: Coconut Crackers: Give yourself a cookie.

The game's charm is its carefree style and presentation. It's full of squigglevision animation, crayon-drawn backgrounds, and floating underpants wherever the game designers can fit it. The levels are just full of crazy, tripped out imagery and music, complete with Mr. Pants singing between levels. Yes, Mr. Pants SINGS!

its-mr-pants-20040812035034831.jpg

its-mr-pants-20040812035035550.jpg

its-mr-pants-20040812035036862.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Some of the imagery is hysterical and awesome. Then I look at the gameboard, and I cry it looks so fucking shitty.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wow, they completely redesigned the game... and for the worse I'd say.

Littleberu said:
Ahahahahaha. You've got to be kidding.

Nope. The backgrounds look like a weird version of Yoshi's Island. Or a colourized version of Happy Noodle Boy. I like how the colours go outside the lines.

But, the game boards and Rare logo look like absolute shit.

Memles

Dan said:
Wow, they completely redesigned the game... and for the worse I'd say.

Didn't DK:CC use to be isometric, and a bit more involved? Because this...looks really far too simple.

oh man this game is hilarious.. i am sure the gameplay will be solid, its always lookd good. but the fact they made an entire game out of "its mr pants" is just amazing.. cant believe MS allowed it; that definately shows how much maneuver room they give RARE.. at least the rare gba department..

cant definately see why THQ was having problems signing on to distribute this one...

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
For how many years the game has been in dev ? 3/4 years

edit :

IT'S MR. PANTS
Filing Date November 9, 2001

DONKEY KONG COCONUT CRACKERS
Filing Date May 14, 2001

3+ years for a puzzle game on GBA.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The entire GBA team is only 10 people, so while it's been that long since they first showed it, I'm not sure if they've been working on it all that time. If they have, I doubt it's had much in the way of resources given to it when compared to Banjo-Kazooie, Sabrewulf and Banjo Pilot.

I prefer the new look. In terms of artwise and humour definitely, and I like my puzzle games to be as simple looking as possible. The easier it is to see what I'm doing, the better.

Soul4ger

OMG Nintendo always makes RARE do teh kiddie stuff. If only they could get away from them, and make mature stuff like they want!

Kon Tiki

Banned
Soul4ger said:
OMG Nintendo always makes RARE do teh kiddie stuff. If only they could get away from them, and make mature stuff like they want!

Ya I feel bad for them. Now they are stuck doing kiddie games for MS.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I noticed in the vids that the game shares some sound effects with Sabrewulf, which isn't very kosher. With a team that small I suppose I can let it slide though.

FoneBone

Soul4ger said:
Believe it or not, right after the Rare/MS deal was announced, some Xbox fans on IGN were actually insisting that Joanna Dark now had a more "kiddie" look because Nintendo made them do it. Really.

MASB

The style is okay I guess, but the gameplay itself would look better if they used the isometric view of the DK version. And it's amazing that 10 people have carried a company of 200-250 people for the past few years (GBTG doesn't count since it bombed by any definition of the word).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
MASB said:
The style is okay I guess, but the gameplay itself would look better if they used the isometric view of the DK version.

look yes, play no

MASB

jooey said:
look yes, play no
Yeah, I guess you're right. But the gameplay field of the DK version does look better (whether it would actually play better or worse). The gameplay part of the Mr. Pants version, just looks a little dull. Like any other puzzle game you'd find.

And looking at that Yoshi's Island pic, it is neat to remember what EAD was able to accomplish with that game. Back in 1995 and it still looks pretty good today.

Ranger X

There is not many people here who seems to know the story of that Mr. Pants. And as a matter of fact, there is many people not licking the look of the game...

Someone care to tell the story? To me it makes this game being totally cool.

Wyzdom said:
There is not many people here who seems to know the story of that Mr. Pants. And as a matter of fact, there is many people not licking the look of the game...

Someone care to tell the story? To me it makes this game being totally cool.
I don't think there's a whole lot to it. Mr. Pants was just a silly stick figure creation wearing underpants that Rare has used on its website for years. In either Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie he showed up on a TV screen, but I don't know if he's has any other game cameos.

But with the loss of Donkey Kong, the simple minor character has taken over!

Ranger X

I think it's more Rare is having fun. A character you create as a joke and then the trend continue, the joke get cameos and everything and then it end up being a real game? Totally cool and not casual. Thumbs up!

Top Bottom