• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Hey guys, I will appreciate all the help, what is the difference between the one posted here above and this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Same battery, better priced and same Anker brand

Also, would this be good for the SD card?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thank you!

The Powercore+ has a USB-C in/out port, the normal Powercore just has a microUSB input port. You'd preferably want to get a battery with a USB-C port and use that port to charge the Switch with a USB C-to-C cable for better charging speed.

And yes that card's fine, most people are going for the 200GB version of it which costs a bit more.

Toki767

jorgejjvr

The Powercore+ has a USB-C in/out port, the normal Powercore just has a microUSB input port. You'd preferably want to get a battery with a USB-C port and use that port to charge the Switch with a USB C-to-C cable for better charging speed.

And yes that card's fine, most people are going for the 200GB version of it which costs a bit more.
Thank you! I guess I then need a USB C input and output cable then

Thank you! I guess I then need a USB C input and output cable then

Yeah, the Anker Powercore+ comes with one I believe so if you get that you won't need to buy another, but the Ravpower that was linked and which I got on the lightning deal the other day doesn't. I got this cable to go with it.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, the Anker Powercore+ comes with one I believe so if you get that you won't need to buy another, but the Ravpower that was linked and which I got on the lightning deal the other day doesn't. I got this cable to go with it.
Cool thank you. And just to be sure, I might use this for my other devices too. I can charge my galaxy s7 edge here right? I can put a normal USB to my micro USB on my phone? Same to my wife's iPhone?

I just want this to be ideal for my switch, but also work with other devices

And last thing, RAV power or anker? Seems like they both accomplish the same

Edit: Also, thankfully, something good came out of the Note 7 fiasco. I got two fast charger for USB type C (original and replacement, including wall outlet), and a free 256 gb micro SD card, which I currently have on my galaxy s 7 edge.

My plan for buying the 128 SD card is more so for my phone, to have something sizeable there, since I will use my 256 one for the switch

Cool thank you. And just to be sure, I might use this for my other devices too. I can charge my galaxy s7 edge here right? I can put a normal USB to my micro USB on my phone? Same to my wife's iPhone?

I just want this to be ideal for my switch, but also work with other devices

And last thing, RAV power or anker? Seems like they both accomplish the same

Edit: Also, thankfully, something good came out of the Note 7 fiasco. I got two fast charger for USB type C (original and replacement, including wall outlet), and a free 256 gb micro SD card, which I currently have on my galaxy s 7 edge.

My plan for buying the 128 SD card is more so for my phone, to have something sizeable there, since I will use my 256 one for the switch

Yeah, you can charge anything off them so long as it charges over USB, both have standard USB ports to use. The advantage the Ravpower has is that it supports Qualcomm Quick Charge which some devices use, such as my Nexus 6 and I believe the S7 too, and QC on the micro USB input can also be used to charge the battery itself faster than USB-C can. It's of no benefit to the Switch though and isn't supported over USB-C. Anker tends to be the more popular brand, while the Ravpower has more features. So really it comes down to brand vs features. From the reviews I've seen though the Ravpower works just fine.

Kevin

The $70 one everyone is buying is the Sandisk Ultra 200GB can be bought at Walmart for $73, but there is a 15% off discount available to knock it down to $65 with free 2 day shipping.

Cheapest I've found.

Whats the coupon code for the 15% off?

Experien

I bought the 200GB from Amazon, hoping it is good enough. Just don't know if I should buy USB C cord or not. I guess I'll need one if I want to charge it without the dock?

Kade

I know the press embargo for previews ends in two days but have there been any updates on the UHS-I/UHS-II situation for microSD cards yet?

CazTGG

I know the press embargo for previews ends in two days but have there been any updates on the UHS-I/UHS-II situation for microSD cards yet?

None so far. More likely than not, this iteration of the console will not support UHS-II microSDs.

None so far. More likely than not, this iteration of the console will not support UHS-II microSDs.

Yeah this is why I'm holding out on buying extra cables, charger, and SD card. Too many unknowns at this point. I'm hoping Digital Foundry goes into depth about all of it.

Trevelyan

Banned
I understand this is a thread for USB-c and SD card suggestions, but since the Switch is Bluetooth enabled, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendation for bluetooth headsets under $100? Thanks and sorry again for kinda de-railing, but figured this would be the best place as any.

Lucifon

I understand this is a thread for USB-c and SD card suggestions, but since the Switch is Bluetooth enabled, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendation for bluetooth headsets under $100? Thanks and sorry again for kinda de-railing, but figured this would be the best place as any.

I might be completely wrong but I wasn't of the belief we had confirmation it'll support Bluetooth headsets from day one / ever.

Cloud7

Should I hold off on researching external USB-C portable batteries? I read towards the beginning that there were some unknowns there.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Should I hold off on researching external USB-C portable batteries? I read towards the beginning that there were some unknowns there.

There is nothing that says waiting a few days after launch to order one would hurt. There are unknowns because no one actually knows about all the possible things which go into buying a proper "Switch Compatible" external battery pack yet.

Shipping speeds being what they are, you could technically afford to wait on a proper set of verified information and multiple recommendations before buying to avoid any potential issues or buying the wrong unit.

For me, should the items I bought be wrong or there is a better set out there, Amazon.com will let me return it as long as it is in the return window, so, I'm just taking the plunge and going from there.

CazTGG

From what I understand, using a portable charger with a USB-A to USB-C cable will suffice, although it won't charge as fast as it would with a USB-C to USB-C cable. The important factor to consider is whether your chosen charger will be able to supply the necessary 2.6A the Switch is said to require when in handheld mode so it will be able to charge the system and not damage the battery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm holding off until I've seen some tests on the switch. USB C chargers are a bit of a minefield

This potentially puts me off buying a big SD card. If they're UHS I only, doesn't that limit them to 90MS/S max? That could noticeably impact loading times compared to the physical cards

Darklor01

From what I understand, using a portable charger with a USB-A to USB-C cable will suffice, although it won't charge as fast as it would with a USB-C to USB-C cable. The important factor to consider is whether your chosen charger will be able to supply the necessary 2.6A the Switch is said to require when in handheld mode so it will be able to charge the system and not damage the battery.

I grabbed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

which I think has a max output of Type-C Output: 5V / 3A Max which should be good.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've got myself a 200gb SD card which should hold me over for quite a long time. I very much doubt I will need a powerbank, but I definitely want to get a long cable and wall adapter that I can use at home in bed or on the couch and also bring with me to work.

I'm assuming charging over a USB port from a PC won't be enough juice and I'm not sure I want to drop another $30 on the official Switch Charger. So I guess I'll just wait till after launch to see how other people found some of these 3rd party cables/adapters fair before getting one. I don't plan on using the Dock much really, so I can get away with using the charger at home easily enough, but I'd definitely like something else to bring with me to work.

So Gaf, I'm planning on using the charger for my wife's Macbook to start out. It's 24W USB-C so I believe it should do the job.

After I save up some extra cash, I was thinking about buying this combo:

Aukey Amp

Aukey USB-C

Think that'll do? I have no interest in a portable battery bank as I'm not often in a situation where I would need one.

japtor

So Gaf, I'm planning on using the charger for my wife's Macbook to start out. It's 24W USB-C so I believe it should do the job.

After I save up some extra cash, I was thinking about buying this combo:

Aukey Amp

Aukey USB-C

Think that'll do? I have no interest in a portable battery bank as I'm not often in a situation where I would need one.
Quick Charge over USB-C technically violates USB-C spec iirc so I'd be a bit wary, it's probably fine but ehh.

And if you're going to be spending $30 you can just get the official power brick.

Darklor01

Quick Charge over USB-C technically violates USB-C spec iirc so I'd be a bit wary, it's probably fine but ehh.

And if you're going to be spending $30 you can just get the official power brick.

I thought I'd read it only violates in theory because you USB-C data/Quick Charge cant co-exist, but if it's is charging only, not sure it is an issue.

Illucio

Banned
I can't get a spot to enter this code anywhere, even as described in that thread.

Edit: Never mind, I can buy it from B&H for about the same price with free expedited shipping, no code needed: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051678762,&is=REG&A=details
You put the code in during checkout.

But no biggie BH is only $4 more. But I'm a huge penny pincher lol.

Oh and Gaffers I'm looking for a good USB to C cord and carrying case. Any suggestions?

Edit: oh and I just got the SanDisk ultra 200gb micro SD card in the mail today. Do I have to convert it on any way or can I just put it in the Switch and be good to go on launch day?

Kiyo

So, any deals to take advantage of this $8.62 off $50 orders from Amazon (coupon code BIGTHANKS for those that didn't see it)? Unfortunately the Anker Powerbanks don't seem to be sold by Amazon so are ineligible.

So, any deals to take advantage of this $8.62 off $50 orders from Amazon (coupon code BIGTHANKS for those that didn't see it)? Unfortunately the Anker Powerbanks don't seem to be sold by Amazon so are ineligible.

Well if you have one item in your cart that is sold by Amazon I believe the deal applies. I'm thinking about picking up this 200GB SDXC card as I feel that will be plenty of space for the indies I will be playing for the first few years of the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V62XBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm also considering the anker pack, some USB-C cords, and a Wall Charger. I'm kinda stuck on the latter--any specific recommendations for a wall charger in here? i know most will kinda do what it needs to do, but I'm looking for the BEST of the BEST

Rootbeer

Banned
Would this be a good card to get for the switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOB6YW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the one I bought. It has 80MB/s read and 20MB/s write. Just too bad it's not 29.99 (during black friday it was) right now. But I still think that in the $40 range it's one of the better ones you can get.

Check out this site for reviews of the various cards (not my site, FWIW). They do very extensive testing on the read/write speeds to help you out. http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/

That's good to know! I'll have to do some review of my available options. I don't plan to purchase my own charger anytime soon so I have plenty of time.

As for your second comment, hell to the naw. My issue with the official charger is the size, not the price. I'll gladly pay up to $30 for a portable charging solution but I want something that can fit in my travel case.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, actually after digging through the reviews some more this card seems like a real winner in the $40 bracket

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/re...tra-80-mbs-uhs-i-128gb-microsdxc-memory-card/

If you don't want to spring for the 200GB... the 128GB still has excellent speeds for the price. Around 90MB read and 50MB write (though it varies a lot, shouldn't dip below these for sequential)

Probably should have bough this one! Ehh, no big. The write speed is not make or break, though I think 20MB/s should be the minimum you aim for if you are buying a brand new card right now.

CazTGG

what do you guys think about these cards?

Anyone know how legit these memory cards are? Two 64GB micro SD cards for $10

https://www.wish.com/c/5766a78179a5d...PdSBoC0u3w_wcB

Also, how about the transcend micro sd card brand?
https://www.wish.com/c/58521569f450c64f927eb71f

From what I researched, Wish is a very hit-or-miss storefront. The best recommendation I can give is, if you are considering purchasing from Wish, make sure to do so through PayPal and test the SD card as soon as it arrives with H2testw, a program that tests capacity and read/write speed, the two most common signs that a card is fake. If the read/write speeds or storage capacity are lower than advertised, it's fake and you should request a refund through PayPal.

SHarris78

Sorry for the stupidity of the following (genuine) questions, but why are people buying these USB C cables and charging banks - the Switch comes with all you need to charge the tablet in the box?

Also, I've bought a 128gb Micro SD card ready for launch day - are Nintendo releasing new Switch top up ecards, can we use the existing Nintendo ecards, or is it top up by credit / debit card only?

Top Bottom