• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Searching for a new career, but have no idea what I qualify for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the background of my current employment situation. I am working at a Medical Group in an office position as part-time, but making a decent hourly and working about 30 hours a week. I have been there for about 15 months. There has been discussion about me going full-time, but nothing has panned out. This is mainly due to them not wanting to dish out the extra money for benefits a full-time employee requires due to the ACA.

I enjoy my job though. I enjoy the majority of my co-workers and it never feels like work. My boss understands my medical needs due to my Cystic Fibrosis and is fine with unexpected sick days and when I have to go into the hospital for over a week, which has only happened once so far since I have worked there.

Let me add that I don't have any financial stresses except some small credit card debt I am paying off. I live comfortably and somewhat on my own (living in the primary family residence while my parents live where my dad works).

But I want more. I don't want to be ashamed that at 30 years old I am only working part time. I want to get out on my own fully.

My problem is I don't know what I qualify for in terms of types of jobs and here is where I need the vast help of OT GAF.

Here is an idea of the skillset I come with. I have a BS in Social Science education and my teaching license for the state of FL. I love teaching, but the hours it demands puts a lot of stress on my Cystic Fibrosis, even during my internship I noticed a decline in my overall health. My current job has me doing a lot of organizational work and is with medical records. A couple years ago I worked at a local magazine as a writer and helped oversee the layout of the issues and proofread the articles before we finalized them in the layout. (Sadly our financing collapsed and we had to shut down before we really got off the ground) I've also worked at a local computer shop building systems and doing basic level software maintenance and registry work.

I just don't know where to steer myself when looking for jobs or what fields I'm cut out for. I went to my university's career center and they were no help whatsoever. I also worry that my health is such a wild card that I could get sick a couple months into the new position, be in the hospital for a week, and lose the job over that. So any help you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LaneDS

Are there support groups you could turn to that center around your illness that might be able to give better guidance on types of jobs that would be supportive of your wildcard schedule?

Since you said you love teaching, is subbing an option? I know that's neither full-time nor the best way to teach, but there are some longer term sub options that you could pick and choose from depending on how your health is holding up.

Also, poster above, dick response.

Are you opposed to working for yourself? There's tons of opportunity doing freelance writing. Not sure how well you can get paid, but you would mostly be able to work at home and on your own schedule. There are a bunch of us here on GAF that do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom