• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle - July 4th, what/where is good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyGuy

I'm in Vancouver, but want to join in the 4th of July celebrations, and I'm near Seattle.

So what's good to go to, or where, and when?

I mainly want to see something like a really good Fireworks show, or parade or something.

I have no idea what's "usual" for Independence Day, but I'd love to soak it in.

Any help would be highly appreciated, guys and gals! :)

element

Seattle Center is nice, because you are able to watch both firework shows.

Gasworks Park on Lake Union is probably the 'largest' gathering of people. It is pretty nice, but traffic is a nightmare getting out.

ShyGuy

Thanks for the reply, but um, I need specific addresses and such.

I'm actually from Australia, living in Vancouver for 6 months, and want to "join in the fun" of July 4th. Seattle is the nearest city, so yeah. I'm gonna need more details, thanks! :)

Tekky

I believe that everyone and their cousin goes to Gasworks Park to watch the fireworks over Lake Union. Of course, there's also Seattle Center (or Elliot Bay?). I suppose from somewhere on Queen Anne hill you can see them both.

If you have a view of Lake Washington, you can see 4 shows or so going on at once (from far away). Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, and something way to the south.

element

Seattle Center would probably be the best if you just want some atmosphere. Easy to find, good parking, and lots of people. From there you can watch the show over Elliot Bay, which is a good one.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just look up Gasworks park on the Internet...you'll find it... that's the best spot just get there early and park far enough where you can walk ....do not...do not park close or you will not get out of there until way after midnight...

White Man

I think I'm within reasonable walking distance of Gasworks. Like an hour a way, maybe. Walking back at night will be fun.

ShyGuy

So I take it that Seattle Center and Gasworks Park are the best bets for tomorrow?

There aren't any other options?

Not long to go!

I'd stay away from Gasworks... it gets obscenely crowded. If you like large crowds and standing room only, then hey...

To see the fireworks, I'd usually walk from the U-District across the University Bridge to Eastlake, and find a spot off there. It's usually not too crowded, and the view is good. Plus, you can go bar hopping or whatever on University Way (called "The Ave" for some reason) afterwards.

Here's a map of the University, the bridge is to the southwest.

Edit - Never been to Seattle Center, but I imagine it's crowded there as well, and traffic's always a problem. You could try parking somewhere like Pacific Place (I think they've still got the best rates) and taking the Monorail, though...

Then again, it looks like the Monorail's not running... but they've got bus service info on that site.

Anyway, good luck!

My girlfriend and I live in Queen Anne, we're having some friends and family over for food and then walk down to watch the fireworks on Lake Union. I didn't even think of going up to the park on top of the hill to watch...

Chony

I went to Gasworks a couple years back. You just have to get to the top of the hill early, and you are in for a great show. Just bring lots of beer.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Seattle and north of Seattle are basically firework mania ...it's ridiculous..hehe

Fireworks will start going off in large amounts in the early evening and go well into the wee hours of morning. Hell as I type this, there are fireworks going off outside my house and I can hear plenty more in the distance.

This place is nuts.

Chony

Mr Pockets said:
Seattle and north of Seattle are basically firework mania ...it's ridiculous..hehe

Fireworks will start going off in large amounts in the early evening and go well into the wee hours of morning. Hell as I type this, there are fireworks going off outside my house and I can hear plenty more in the distance.

This place is nuts.

Ahhh, the streets here are a big torn up cardboard mess. Stupid neighbor kids.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I couldn't finish off all the fireworks I bought last night. :D

I live north of seattle and went to my parents house which is in Marysville AKA fireworks central. We spent about $150 on stuff at Boom City. I was having fun launching coke cans by setting a firecracker underneath them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom