• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

See...TRU has the idea about not opening games to display them

I was in TRU Union Square (NYC) today to pick up halo 2. What I got before I got to the register was an open halo 2 keepcase. I thought Aww geeze I hope they don't pull a gamestop and give me a copy an employee took home to try out.

I then noticed all the new releases form the past month were displayed in open keep case...or what ever thier called. It apprently goes like this you give the cashier the open box, they toss it aside and hand you and SEALED game. Now if One TRU (the ones in Jersey have the new release under lock and jey far behind the counter in a dark case) why can't game stop?

Oh it looked like a 1 open case for every 1 seald halo 2 (and the other new games)

DJPS2

Banned
"Gutting" software in order to get display cases is a bad idea. Not only does that guarantee that one customer is going to wind up being pressured to accept an open game-- but the chances of the case going missing increases, leading to retailers either losing money on the game and/or twisting consumers' arms to buy it anyway.

There should be a better method adopted across the board, IMO.

DJPS2

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
And never will because some fucking people have no problem buying opened (and sometimes used, although they don't know it) games.

That's the part that really gets me about "gutting". It also serves as a reason to allow employees to take games home and play them.

"Oh, it works. It's just our last copy."

Not that what we did at FuncoLand circa 1998-1999 was any better, but we could at least have the power to sell our opened (demo) copies of games at a $5 discount.

atomsk

Party Pooper
the clamshell model is pretty nice, UNLESS YOU WORK THERE :lol

then it's a pain in the ass... keeping a 1 to 1 ratio of games to empty clamshells...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DJPS2 said:
"Gutting" software in order to get display cases is a bad idea. Not only does that guarantee that one customer is going to wind up being pressured to accept an open game-- but the chances of the case going missing increases, leading to retailers either losing money on the game and/or twisting consumers' arms to buy it anyway.

There should be a better method adopted across the board, IMO.

They have clear plastic cases on top of the sealed game case here in LA. You take the game to the counter and they remove the plastic.

mr2mike

Banned
the local EBs work like that here.

the local TRU is the next bext thing: All the sealed copies are on the shelves, but locked in their alarm thingies. bring that to the register and they unlock it and give you the sealed copy inside.

It's better than how they used to work back in the 16 bit days, where everything was behind glass and you took out little paper slips out of a pouch next to the displayed item, and then brought that to the register, and then someone went out back to get the merchandise corresponding to the papers you had. a pain it was.

Seth C

mr2mike said:
It's better than how they used to work back in the 16 bit days, where everything was behind glass and you took out little paper slips out of a pouch next to the displayed item, and then brought that to the register, and then someone went out back to get the merchandise corresponding to the papers you had. a pain it was.

I dunno, I always thought that was a fun process as a kid. There was some excitement, bringing that slip up to the counter and having the game waiting for you in the lock down up front.

DJPS2

Banned
Seth C said:
I dunno, I always thought that was a fun process as a kid. There was some excitement, bringing that slip up to the counter and having the game waiting for you in the lock down up front.

Those were the days... and you always got a sealed copy of the game.

Granted, the slips can sometimes walk off (or get dropped everywhere)... and rearranging the game art as it comes in can be an annoyance for store staff... but it would eliminate gutting and employee "borrowing".

Tellaerin

Mr_Furious said:
And never will because some fucking people have no problem buying opened (and sometimes used, although they don't know it) games.

Yep, 'some fucking people' like yours truly. (It's pretty obvious who you were referring to, given the outraged posts you fired off at me the last time this subject came up on GAF.) Unlike you, I could care less whether the game was really never touched by human hands, or just handled so carefully that the disc is still perfect and the manual is undamaged when I open it--the practical result is still the same, which is that I have a pristine disc and manual in my possession. (And since I ask to see both before taking a gutted game, it's not like I'm in any danger of getting stuck with damaged merchandise.) Flipping out over the thought that someone might have used a gutted disc before you, even if you can't see any signs of previous use whatsoever, just strikes me as weirdly neurotic and obsessive. :p

DJPS2

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Yep, 'some fucking people' like yours truly. (It's pretty obvious who you were referring to, given the outraged posts you fired off at me the last time this subject came up on GAF.) Unlike you, I could care less whether the game was really never touched by human hands, or just handled so carefully that the disc is still perfect and the manual is undamaged when I open it--the practical result is still the same, which is that I have a pristine disc and manual in my possession. (And since I ask to see both before taking a gutted game, it's not like I'm in any danger of getting stuck with damaged merchandise.) Flipping out over the thought that someone might have used a gutted disc before you, even if you can't see any signs of previous use whatsoever, just strikes me as weirdly neurotic and obsessive. :p

For me, the issue about "gutting" is more about depreciation. If you're paying full price for something "new", it should be "new". You should be able to struggle with the shrinkwrap and the security tags and whatnot. When the shrinkwrap is broken-- in my opinion, of course-- the game is no longer new.

You certainly deserve props for actually looking at the gutted mechandise before plunking your money (or plastic) down. Not enough people these days are that proactive.

Tellaerin said:
Actually I wasn't referring to anyone specifically here but whatever. My problem is more from my various BAD experiences dealing with gutted product. For example:

1) Many employees don't give a fuck about how they handle/treat the merchandise because some fucking knob will still buy it anyways (unchecked). I've personally witnessed gutted product being tossed around the store.

2) Some employees give me shit for asking to inspect the dics (in the past). I'd see it scratched up and not wanting to buy it and the typical response would be "WHY? WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? IT'S STILL NEW?"[/badattitude] (and yes, their voice was raised). Don't know about you but it's disappointing to know that I could've walked out of that store with the game I drove over to get, if only it hadn't been poorly handled/treated during the gutting process, which we all know is unnecessary. I don't like having my time wasted any more than you probably would.

3) Employees place a bunch of shitty stickers all over the box that are a pain in the ass to get off, not to mention the shelfwear resulting from customers repeatedly picking up the gutted box and placing it back on the shitty wire shelf. Boxes will get banged up. Infact, side by side, you'd be hard pressed to tell the used section from the new if it weren't for the different colored stickers (and no, it's not because the used boxes look new :p)

4) Seeing the average condition of used product being traded in, many employees don't consider the small scratches that may occur during the gutting process damaging (by comparison). They figure a few minor scratches will not matter to the average consumer who treats his/her games like shit anyways (I've actually been told this on more than one occasation by actual employees at 2 different EBs)

And even after these issues which are commonplace at your local EB/GS, people still have no problem buying (supposedly) new product in said condition. My feelings are neither neurotic nor obsessive and are just based off too many bad situations in the past. And yes, I used to "trust" when the employee stated that the game is new and never used (meaning there should be no marks or fucking scratches on the disc) just to bring it home to find that the disc looks like someone played carpet hockey with it. Yes, it's my fault that I should've check the disc but early on I didn't know this would be a problem until having it occur. FOR THE RECORD: I used to have no problems buying gutted games back when EB/GS reshrinkwrapped the empty boxes, therefore protecting them from sticker residue and shelfwear AND when they took better care of the discs (employees actually gave a shit and took extra care in not scratching them) but that was back in the early 32-bit days.

But you go right on ahead and enjoy your purchases and let me enjoy mine. We have two different mindsets about this issue so let's agree to disagree. Oh and please stop taking my rants about this topic personally because the "fucking people" I'm referring to are the ones tolerant of the shit I listed above which obviously you are not since you at least inspect the games before ageeing to buy them. I've already decided to take my business elsewhere when there's only one copy on the shelf, long ago.

Ecrofirt

I used to like the way TRU did it. You got a slip with the name of the game on it, and they got the game out for you.

Nothing better than that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the gutting of games (its a pain in the ass) but not all open games are played. in fact if the manager of the store has any ounce of class they wouldn't allow check outs of new titles anyway. Mine didn't.

This would all be solved if the publisher simply sent display boxes or display art with every new game.. but that is never going to happen since it costs the publisher money, conversely specialty retailers don't want to shoulder the cost of plastic cases etc. gutting only costs cents for the little cardboard they keep it in.

Like I said I would love not to do it, but it isn't changing anytime soon.

Priz

CVXFREAK said:
TRU got it right years ago... GS hasn't. :(

The only thing that annoys me about the TRU display cases are there's no barcode on them, so when the price drops on certain games in the computer (but not on the shelf, which some locations are REALLY bad about), you can't take a box and use the price checker on it to see.

Other than that, it's nice.

A few months ago I bought a new PS2 game at EB. When I got it home I took it out of the bag and saw it had been re-shrinkwrapped. I open it up and the manual has been ripped up and the disc is covered in scratches.

When I brought it back to the store the manager lied and lied, trying to do whatever he could to avoid taking it back. Best one was "Why don't you come back on Friday. We're getting another shipment of that game then, and you can exchange it." Which was really cute, cuz the game was freakin' Kings Field. It's what, 3 years old? I'm sure they're getting shipments of new copies in all the time.

Now I make a point to ask if the game's sealed whenever I shop at one of these stores, which is becoming increasingly more rare. They seem to be stocking less niche titles and places like Best Buy offer comparable selection and better prices.

Ristamar

Ecrofirt said:
I used to like the way TRU did it. You got a slip with the name of the game on it, and they got the game out for you.

Nothing better than that.

Yeah, our TRUs still use that method. The only downside is that the slips need to be regularly tallied in case people take one, but decide not to take it to the counter. A game may appear to be out of stock when there are actually a few copies left. Still, it's a great system.

I refuse to buy any gutted games. If I'm going to pay full price for something, I'd like it to be sealed. If I were to buy opened merchandise at say, Best Buy, it's always discounted. Qualify it however you like (letting customers "try out" games.. etc.), it still sucks.

TRU's method is better. A few stores by me run into the same problem, however. Someone brings up the case to purchase the game, and it's not put back on the shelf. And new releases seem to be slow to go out on the shelves.

If I'm looking for something at TRU, I always go right to the registers and try to find the game I'm looking for in the cases. If it's a smaller game (Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne was the latest one), it's usually there and not on the shelf.

CygnusXI

When you go to EB to get "credit" on a trade in, tell them you want full price.
Why?
Because-- uh.. it's an open game, but so are there's and THEY sell em at Full price.

EB SUX

I work for KB during the winter, we have a few gutted games. We sell them for $5 off new prie AND give a coupon for $10 off next video purchase. I assue you, no one is touching the games. The managers keep them under lock and key.

My beef with EB and GS is this, by their own definition it used. Due to their policies anything thats opened is USED. But yet they can circumvent that and sell it as new? Odd.

Especially considering a simplephotcopier would remedy this problem.

My local TRU puts the actual games on the shelves encased in hard plastic. It's a security measure that requires some special tool to open and will also set off the alarm if taken through the electronics section. The drawback is that if I go into TRU with a game I've already bought (at another store in the mall) the freaking alarm goes off. DX

cvxfreak

What happens if EB takes in a trade in for a game that's sealed? I saw some fellow doing that at the local EB and I have to wonder if they're going to sell those at the used price.

Ferris

So e-mail GameStop and EBGames and TELL THEM this stuff! You sit here on forums and bitch, piss, and moan about stuff like this but do you ever complain to people who can do something about it? I'm thinking no. I'm not talking about the store manager. I'm not talking about the manager's boss or even HIS boss. I'm talking calling up GameStop and EB's customer service and laying down real complaints. Maybe if enough voices are being heard, they'll at least go back to the shrink wrap days which were actually less than 2 years ago that they quit doing it... well into the PS2 life.

But the reality is that 99% of the people who shop for games and what-not really don't care about stickers, shrink-wrapping, or being able to crack open the game and be able to smell the ink and chemicals used to process it. Shop where you like, that's the key. If you don't like Best Buy, you won't shop there. If you don't like GameStop, you won't shop there. Big deal, they offset each other and these places STILL make money and STILL conduct business the way they want to until enough people stop shopping there.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ferris said:
So e-mail GameStop and EBGames and TELL THEM this stuff! You sit here on forums and bitch, piss, and moan about stuff like this but do you ever complain to people who can do something about it?

I do something about it by not shopping at either unless I absolutely, positively need a game on the day of its release. (Even then, I'd be more inclined to to Toys R Us, where I won't be pressured to pre-order something if I make eye contact with the staff.)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
As an employee of TRU, if you work in the game sections, both the clamshell method (empty gameboxes) as well as the older ticket system are both nightmares.

The old ticket system used to be fantastic, however as somebody said above it takes constant maintenance. The worst situation by far is when during Christmas, someobody actually takes home a ticket one day, and comes back and uses it the next. Being that I did counts on games roughly everyday during this time of year, it was beyond embarrasing when we ended up not having a game because someobody thought they could "reserve" it and mess my count system up. I mean seriously, there is nothing more dissapointing then having sombody go find another game after they get through the register....

As for the clamshell method, it is so freaking hard to not only keep the games set up in a orderly manner, however, I now also have to have the clamshells in another section. It is seriously like organizing two different sets of games (as well as keep maintenance on how many are out there). I would rather they just go back to the way they used to do it 2 years ago where they just cased everything up in plastic cases and put them out there. However, the one good thing about the clamshells is that I get to see some of the game boxes way early. For instance, Gran Turismo 4's box came in the other day. Kinda cool I guess, but half the time I see the boxes here first anyway.

Ferris

xsarien said:
I do something about it by not shopping at either unless I absolutely, positively need a game on the day of its release. (Even then, I'd be more inclined to to Toys R Us, where I won't be pressured to pre-order something if I make eye contact with the staff.)

And yet another silent complaint goes unheard. Honestly, do you think they are going to notice your annual $1500 or so missing? Phone calls, emails, letters... What you're doing is learing at a blind man.

Pressured into pre-ordering? Pressured? Is there a guy with a knife in your back? Do they turn on a light and interrogate you as to why you're not pre-ordering? Are you so weak that you just do whatever people suggest? Give me money. Now. I have a light AND a knife. It's a butter knife, but if you sit still long enough, I might be able to cut out your tongue. But you won't miss it because you're a silent complainer.

:D

atomsk said:
the clamshell model is pretty nice, UNLESS YOU WORK THERE :lol

then it's a pain in the ass... keeping a 1 to 1 ratio of games to empty clamshells...

Oh I'm sure its a huge pain in the ass...when I bought halo 2 the lady tossed the clamshell on a huge pile of other clamshells of all differnt games.

I wonder if you can take home the clam shells like people did the tickets. I found the tickets cool just like a posted said around x-mas it got annoying so I usaly just went right up to customer service and asked for the game.

Ecrofirt

The only time TRU ever pissed me off with their slips was during the GameCube launch.

I was first in line, so my ticket said #1. Bitches wouldn't let me keep it.

Ferris his "silent" complaint is the one that's heard the loudest. His money is not in their till. That's what matters.

And yes they PRESSURE YOU into preordering, it's a constant hounding. Thankfully the GS where I shop knows me and don't even try to get me to preorder or even attempt to hand me a gutted copy. I made an impression on the manage last holiday when I tried to buy a game for a gift and go a gutted copy. I told him politely "no thank you, it's a gift and that would be embarassing. I'll take my business elsewhere". He completely understood and we've had an understanding ever since.

The words "I'll just go buy it somewhere else" are words you never want to hear. It isn't just anal rententive gamers here that complain about gutted copies, parents do it too. Probably moreso than the game dorks.

Mine is a preferential thing, if it's used by your stores policies then sell to me for used. It's usually only a $5 saving at best. I've been burned before by "diplay" copies that turned out to be the Babbages employee rental program.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Seth C said:

That was pretty sweet. I remember being a kid, getting Space Invaders for the 2600 that way. My parents let me give the slip to the guy in the electronics booth. That brings back some cool memories. That was back when TRU was THE place to get toys and games.

Scoobert

The local EB games only guts out one game, and that box goes straight to the shelves. The only time you actually get that gutted game is if it's the last copy. Also, the employees aren't allowed to take the games home. Atleast here they are not allowed to. The box just goes straight to the shelves for display purposes, while the game is sealed right up.

Honestly, the store isn't going to care if you buy it or not, why? Because the very next person will. If you want the policy to change so much speak to the manager, and write some letters. That sale isn't going to hurt them because no matter what, it's still the last game it will get sold.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Cyan said:
The point isn't that they "force" you to pre-order. The point is that they're constantly trying to sell you something that you don't need, and they're very poor salespeople. Their method usually consists of scare tactics, telling you you're dumb for not getting the thing, or saying that everyone else is doing it. Then there's the time-waste factor.

So yes, it's quite annoying that they're constantly trying to pressure you into pre-ordering.

If anyone should take the blame for this, it should be the higher-ups in company. They're the ones who set ridiculous quotas that the salespeople have to meet. Their sales and preorders are constantly being tracked by people who most likely have never even stepped foot in a retail outlet.

Regardless, I think this depends largely on your specific Gamestop and it's employees. With one exception (some douchebag that found it necessary to twist and turn the used NeGCon I was buying), the guys at the one I go to are all pretty great. Then again, I voluntarily preorder games though so maybe they don't see the need to hassle me.

Scoobert said:
The local EB games only guts out one game, and that box goes straight to the shelves. The only time you actually get that gutted game is if it's the last copy. Also, the employees aren't allowed to take the games home. Atleast here they are not allowed to. The box just goes straight to the shelves for display purposes, while the game is sealed right up.
And yet scratches somehow magically appear on the disc. I'm not saying employees are taking the game(s) home but that they don't show much care during the gutting process. Placing the disc face down on a bare counter and then picking it back up causes scratches. It doesn't take a genius to prevent scratches on discs. Now alot of stores are avoiding breaking the seal on PS2 games by prying open just the bottom and "sliding" the disc out which gets scraped up by the center part that helps secure the disc in the case. Fucking brilliant.

Honestly, the store isn't going to care if you buy it or not, why? Because the very next person will. If you want the policy to change so much speak to the manager, and write some letters. That sale isn't going to hurt them because no matter what, it's still the last game it will get sold.
If the store isn't going to care whether or not I purchase the game because some tool's standing right behind me willing to do so what the fuck good is a letter going to do? Taking your business elsewhere is the only way these businesses "hear" you.

Mr Furious I said the exact same thing a few posts up.. you want to send them a message. shop elsewhere.

I know quite a few people that wont even step foot into EB... rude salespeople, overpirced items, shiity service and the constant push for preorders that will be easily available anyway.

Or do we need a reminder about their push for Halo 2?

"Ored it now or you won't get till next year." Bullshit skippy. Now get back behind the counter before I backslap you like dyslexic pimp.

Top Bottom