• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

baphomet

went ahead and fixed the cable instead of waiting to ship it back and get another. and apparently there are games that won't boot if you're using rgb. giga wing just happens to be one of them.

Teknoman

Trying to add some more fighting games to the library later. If you had to choose one or two King of Fighters entries, which would you pick?

baphomet

Trying to add some more fighting games to the library later. If you had to choose one or two King of Fighters entries, which would you pick?

I think 98 and 02 are generally considered to be the best. Other people probably know more than me though.

Recall

For Dreamcast releases pick up, KOF 98, KOF 99 Dream Match (which is a remake of 98) KOF 99 Millennium/Evolution and finally KOF 2002.

2000 and 2001 are the weaker available titles of the bunch.

I only have 99 in my collection, the other games on different platforms:
f70cce7e.jpg

Leynos

Welp, my TV does not have a VGA input, but does have component. Would a VGA-to-component adapter work?

Also, does anyone know the part number for the power cable? Or of a good replacement?

For Dreamcast releases pick up, KOF 98, KOF 99 Evolution/Dream Match (naming is different based on region) and finally KOF 2002.

2000 and 2001 are the weaker available titles of the bunch.

I only have 99 in my collection, the other games on different platforms:

'99 Evolution and Dream Match 1999 are different games.

'99 Evolution is based on KOF '99. Dream Match 1999 is based on KOF '98

Both games are available in North American and Japan versions. Not sure where you got that misinformation from.

Recall

'99 Evolution and Dream Match 1999 are different games,
'
99 Evolution is based on KOF '99. Dream Match 1999 is based on KOF '98

Both games are available in North American and Japan versions.

Yeah my mistake just read up on it, confused myself with the different 99 subtitles. Sorry about that :(

kunonabi

go with 99DM as 99Evo and 2k2 aren't the greatest ports. 98 isn't perfect either but that i still find it much more playable.

Because GD-ROMs are essentially high-density CDs, they have less error correction than a usual CD, so they're more prone to damage from scratching than regular CDs, unfortunately.

So, just to be clear, does this mean that GD-Roms are easier to scratch? Or does this mean that if you had a GD-Rom that was identically scratched to a CD, the CD would work and the GD-Rom wouldn't?

Half price books used to have a decent amount of DC games.

If you do end up having to buy online i suggest not going with Amazon. Every DC game I've bought from there has not worked. ebay for all the issues people have with it has yet to send me a busted disc.

Well, there aren't any Half-price books around here. I will give ebay a shot, though!

So, just to be clear, does this mean that GD-Roms are easier to scratch? Or does this mean that if you had a GD-Rom that was identically scratched to a CD, the CD would work and the GD-Rom wouldn't?
They probably aren't physically easier to scratch, but yes, a scratch in a GD-ROM is more likely to affect data than a scratch in a CD-ROM would. They got all that extra space (1.2GB instead of 700MB!) through reduced error correction (duplicating stuff in order to protect against scratches and such, I believe), among other things.

go with 99DM as 99Evo and 2k2 aren't the greatest ports. 98 isn't perfect either but that i still find it much more playable.

No way, 99Evo is definitely good! I mean, it's KOF '99, but it's got a bunch of exclusive stuff not present in any other version of the game as far as I know, including polygonal 3d backdrops, several extra DC-exclusive strikers, and more. Maybe it's not the only version of KOF '99 to own (getting it on one of the newer collections with a Neo-Geo version on it, for newer consoles, is a fine idea), but DC KOF'99 Evo has exclusive content, and is a pretty good version of the game as well. I don't know if making the backgrounds polygonal instead of 2d makes them better (probably not), but it's pretty interesting to see, and is a nice addition that makes the DC version worth playing. You won't find them in any other version of the game, after all.

Now, KOF '99 isn't one of the best games in the series, but still, for KOF '99, it's a good version. It utterly destroys the PS1 version, for instance! Good game, on DC. Not a great game, but a good game.

Teknoman

Looking at videos and seeing what the general consensus here is, seems like its just best to roll with 99 dream match for KOF DC action.

Any differences between the JP and NA version?

woodypop

It was this piece of crap:

madcatz.jpg

(not my picture)

Even those blue handles were sticky as hell!
Oh, god, I remember that controller. I got it specifically for Capcom fighters because of the button layout. Pad totally sucked. I remember feeling a little bad because I specifically requested it as a Christmas present. =/
Looks pretty decent if you ask me. Just need to get some mounting screws for the VGA jack tomorrow, and I'll have it finished.
That really looks good! You should have recorded and posted to Youtube or something.
'99 Evolution is based on KOF '99. Dream Match 1999 is based on KOF '98

Both games are available in North American and Japan versions.
The animated intro in DM'99 is nifty. But I find it amusing that the alcohol references (Ralph and maybe King) got edited out of the US version. lol

RpgN

Napple Tale is such a nice and beautiful game from what I got to try yesterday. The music is something else. The main character actually acts like a brat for a hero 0_0 If you enjoy platformers/light RPG elements/unique games, it should be in your dreamcast collection.

kunonabi

They probably aren't physically easier to scratch, but yes, a scratch in a GD-ROM is more likely to affect data than a scratch in a CD-ROM would. They got all that extra space (1.2GB instead of 700MB!) through reduced error correction (duplicating stuff in order to protect against scratches and such, I believe), among other things.

No way, 99Evo is definitely good! I mean, it's KOF '99, but it's got a bunch of exclusive stuff not present in any other version of the game as far as I know, including polygonal 3d backdrops, several extra DC-exclusive strikers, and more. Maybe it's not the only version of KOF '99 to own (getting it on one of the newer collections with a Neo-Geo version on it, for newer consoles, is a fine idea), but DC KOF'99 Evo has exclusive content, and is a pretty good version of the game as well. I don't know if making the backgrounds polygonal instead of 2d makes them better (probably not), but it's pretty interesting to see, and is a nice addition that makes the DC version worth playing. You won't find them in any other version of the game, after all.

Now, KOF '99 isn't one of the best games in the series, but still, for KOF '99, it's a good version. It utterly destroys the PS1 version, for instance! Good game, on DC. Not a great game, but a good game.

The input lag is horrible on 99evo. The extra stuff doesn't really make up for it.

Recall

So Giant Gram 2000 is currently my go to game when I'm bored or just have 20 minutes spare and to this day it still is as entertaining as ever. The japanese wrestling games on the Dreamcast are just so good.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So Giant Gram 2000 is currently my go to game when I'm bored or just have 20 minutes spare and to this day it still is as entertaining as ever. The japanese wrestling games on the Dreamcast are just so good.
Your talking about this has made me want to add GG2000 to my list of Dreamcast games to get which is pretty short at this point. Besides FirePro (which I already have), what others are worth looking at?

kunonabi

I've been playing it like crazy the last couple of days. I just love the speed and grappling engine. It's a fantastic showcase of SEGA's amazing talent at designing excellent arcade titles that can stand the test of time. The grappling system in that one might just be my favorite.

Your talking about this has made me want to add GG2000 to my list of Dreamcast games to get which is pretty short at this point. Besides FirePro (which I already have), what others are worth looking at?

Fire Pro and GG2000 should really have you covered as far Dreamcast wrestling games go. There is Toukon Retsuden 4: New Japan Pro Wrestling by Yuke's but I haven't had a chance to try it.

Recall

There is Giant Gram, Giant Gram 2000, Fire Pro Wrestling D and Toukon Retsuden 4, I believe these are all there are for Japanese wrestling games on the Dreamcast. I'm a huge supporter of Fire Pro, love that series something fierce.

I like the PS2 PAL cases.
Gamecube boxes were also better. (at least against the US of A ones, the japanese ones are sleek as f*ck I'll admit)

Wii Cases also turned out better, at one point. I believe same can be said for X360 too.
Yeah apart from the Outrun port being borked!!...in this case Sega Ages on the Saturn is better
Is it though?

-> http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=30266

Supposed to pull 640x480, better art and 60 fps.

Beckx

What is the general consensus on Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service? (I have Chaos Tower & like it, but know nothing about the quality of the Dreamcast game.) Is it VGA compatible?

baphomet

What is the general consensus on Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service? (I have Chaos Tower & like it, but know nothing about the quality of the Dreamcast game.) Is it VGA compatible?

I don't play enough Darkstalkers to know how good the ports are. To me it plays just fine. The version I have also supports VGA and RGB, but I'm pretty sure it's a patched version. I don't know if it originally supports either of them.

Edit: I picked up a second Dreamcast today that I'm going to install an internal VGA port as well as 1/8th stereo audio out on the back. Similar to mine that I posted a few pages earlier in this thread. It'll be for sale so if anyone is interested I'll cross post it from the B/S/T thread when it's ready.

v0yce

How is Evil Twin?

I bought a EU copy off ebay a long time ago and it's sat on my shelf ever since. I only popped it in for a few minutes.

It always looked interesting to me, but it seems to get rarely mentioned so I'm assuming it's maybe a so so game?

kunonabi

It's kind of a nice curio but it it's somewhat of a hyper version with various versions of the characters i.e VH Demitri vs VS Victor etc.

Still better off with Resurrection really. That's the thing about most DC fighters, most of them aren't arcade perfect and better versions of most of them have come out on newer platforms.

The 3D fighters fare much better on the DC than the 2D ones do.

How is Evil Twin?

I bought a EU copy off ebay a long time ago and it's sat on my shelf ever since. I only popped it in for a few minutes.

It always looked interesting to me, but it seems to get rarely mentioned so I'm assuming it's maybe a so so game?

It's a decent to good 3d platformer. It's quite hard, and has some flaws, but if you like 3d platformers, definitely give it a try! I think that the fact that it was only released in Europe on all platforms is part of why people don't talk about it much. Yeah, it's Europe only on DC, PS2, and PC alike. Thanks, Ubisoft.

Beckx

It's kind of a nice curio but it it's somewhat of a hyper version with various versions of the characters i.e VH Demitri vs VS Victor etc.

Still better off with Resurrection really. That's the thing about most DC fighters, most of them aren't arcade perfect and better versions of most of them have come out on newer platforms.

The 3D fighters fare much better on the DC than the 2D ones do.

Thanks, was feeling the pull to get Donovan playable in VS on the cab but will resist for now.

I did pull the trigger on Giant Gram 2000 though. :)

kunonabi

Thanks, was feeling the pull to get Donovan playable in VS on the cab but will resist for now.

Donovan is probably my favorite fighting game character but Giant Gram 2000 is the better buy. You won't regret it.

kunonabi

Is Shadowman pretty good?

Also Carrier worth a play?

shadowman is very good. it's a pretty big time investment though. carrier is meh. i probably enjoyed the ring more than i did carrier oddly enough. as for as dc horror games go you're better off with d2, illbleed, blue stinger, and nanatsu no hikan really. nanatsu is japanese which hurts it a bit but it does have coop.

Recall

Excellent and great choice :)

Random fact: The Giant Gram series was originally a cross over of All Japan Pro Wrestling and Sega's Virtua Fighter, with 2000 it became less so but kept the in the person who wrestles as Wolf Hawkfield.

With 2000 as All Japan had split and Misawa had formed Pro Wrestling NOAH they took away the Vs Virtual Fighter stuff and made it a game with a then more modern and quite complete roster.

kunonabi

Arrived much quicker than I expected. Everything is pretty immaculate condition aside from the manual being a little beat-up and the box tab not closing all the way.

The game case was bigger than I expected. I figured it would be a standard dvd case like Cosmic Smash but it's actually an extra large 2-dvd case. Feels good to finally have the last big expensive game out of the way.

baphomet

$25 on Craigslist. All of them work perfectly as well. I'm going to do the internal VGA mod to all of them and sell them on eBay, or I'll do them for $120 on here if anyone wants one.

IrishNinja

Arrived much quicker than I expected. Everything is pretty immaculate condition aside from the manual being a little beat-up and the box tab not closing all the way.

The game case was bigger than I expected. I figured it would be a standard dvd case like Cosmic Smash but it's actually an extra large 2-dvd case. Feels good to finally have the last big expensive game out of the way.

SO JELLY...those pins are so cool for a sega fan! if you dont mind my asking, how much did it put you back?

Envy....

How playable is Segagaga for a non-Japanese speaker?

i'm still looking for a good guide, dying to finally play this one

Does that come with the Mega Drive VMU?

6nRcSy7.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was bored so I decided to take a family picture. Or eight, rather.

zCIjYpX.jpg

Uucdan5.jpg

WlwNnkC.jpg

QpQ6sBT.jpg

0lyD06h.jpg

OFr9SaN.jpg

zPAFrvd.jpg

anfGE8N.jpg

The list of stuff I still want is so low it's hard to finish it off. Soon, though. Soon. When I'm finished I think I'm going to go through and replace every single jewel case, then put them in mylar bags.

Top Bottom