• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega licensing its IP's to western developers (NiGHTS)

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Hey. If anyone has a question about this, please do PM me. The news comes from five different development sources in the US and Europe and is 100% Not copying the entire thing verbatim would also be appreciated! :)

As stated, there are two other titles up for grabs though we've not got our hands on those to date. One may be Space Harrier - We are awaiting confirmation.

Interesting if true.

DICE should get ahold of Crazy Taxi...

Blizzard should license Golden Axe and make a new Diablo-esque title using that universe...with real BEU-style gameplay, including combos and such...all online.

Wish I could be hopeful about anyone using SoR and the rest.

pilonv1

Cue the Climax hate.

Part of me is disappointed that we won't be having Sega IP worked on by Sega teams. But then judging by a lot of their current output it's probably going to end in the same result. That said I wonder how much I'd have to pay for a lesser Sega franchise, like Samba.

Koshiro

I know it's Spong, but "!".

Stop kicking us Sega, stop it.

And for those thinking "Oh but Sumo did Outrun 2", that was just a conversion, not a new game from the ground up.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
pilonv1 said:
Cue the Climax hate.

Part of me is disappointed that we won't be having Sega IP worked on by Sega teams. But then judging by a lot of their current output it's probably going to end in the same result. That said I wonder how much I'd have to pay for a lesser Sega franchise, like Samba.

Gary Liddon left last week under bad terms I heard. Not hate but top gossip. "Touble at mill" is the chatter this end. :)

Rlan

If Sonicteam refuse to even create new games about NiGHTs because they don't think they can better the original [besides little mini games and appearances], how is it likely that a 3rd party will be able to use it?

Pffffffft.

ZILLION

I hope DAYTONA stays in-house.

If somebody makes a proposal and it's a good one,then they shouldn't even flinch in letting somebody else develop it.

A couple years ago I suggested that Sonic Team should collaborate on a new PSO with a Western developer. I was also the biggest supporter of Retro doing Metroid when it wasn't a very popular decision to do so. It's a great move in my eyes.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Maybe they'll license some stuff to eastern devs too. You never know.

Nintendo let them make FZero so maybe Sega will return the favor and let Nintendo make a new NiGHTS or a Mario/Sonic crossover game. [/dreaming]

Vashu

Altered Beast is still very much alive, they showed the latest build on the TGS... So I find it very strange to be on that list..... Until someone else confirms it, I'd say it is crap...

Rlan

Project: Altered Beast is still going on. Doesn't look too bad IMO. The original game has aged horribly [wow, you move slowly and kick and punch stuff]. The new one's storyline doesn't seem to have any of the whole 'gods' thing, which is a bit of a shame.

What was the GBA version like?

Vectorman is BALETED. Not happening anymore, probably because what little fanbase was left were horrified on how little Vectorman was like Vectorman. He's meant to be made of balls and reshape himself to make weapons [or something]. The new one made him look like a 3rd person Duke Nukem / Master Chief.

Rlan

And what more, HOTD is currently the most important franchise? Do they mean actually important, or most important to not have fall into a pit because of that horrible Movie?

ZILLION

And what more, HOTD is currently the most important franchise? Do they mean actually important, or most important to not have fall into a pit because of that horrible Movie?

When they first went third party they really wanted to have HOTD be a franchise action title. Now that they're back to focusing on the home market,I'd imagine they're going for that again.

I was thinking, Giving the Golden Axe Ip to the Programmers that did Two Towers and Demon Stone would be a good Move. Both of those games, especially, Demon Stone, are the spiritual successors of Golden Axe. Also the Diablo type game for Golden Axe would work well too.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Rlan said:

We wondered this as well. Sega was very specific in that HOTD was the key franchise on the Invitation to Tender. Perhaps it means it’s the game it’s most likely to throw a decent campaign behind. Remember, the movie is also in production – could be some sort of tie in plan?

Just a thought.

Rlan

Folder said:
We wondered this as well. Sega was very specific in that HOTD was the key franchise on the Invitation to Tender. Perhaps it means it?s the game it?s most likely to throw a decent campaign behind. Remember, the movie is also in production ? could be some sort of tie in plan?

Just a thought.

In production? It came out last year, and is noted to be one of the worst movie this century.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317676/

Honestly? Virtual On needs to come back. That VO Marz game was apparently pretty crap. I loved the Saturn control scheme. I could never got a hold of the twin-stick/Dreamcast game style :\

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Rlan said:
In production? It came out last year, and is noted to be one of the worst movie this century.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317676/

Honestly? Virtual On needs to come back. That VO Marz game was apparently pretty crap. I loved the Saturn control scheme. I could never got a hold of the twin-stick/Dreamcast game style :\

Bah! Not over here it didn't! Did it get cinematic release or straight to video? :-S

The trailer looks cool: http://www.apple.com/trailers/artisan/houseofthedead/medium.html

BuG

Dilbert talks Sega...

20040728.gif

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
One of the other games isn't Space Harrier btw and now everyone's gone super-tight-lipped over the whole thing here. There are two more titles. If anyone knows someone dealing with third-party relations at a developer, they'll have the missing two I'm sure.

FightyF

Banned
I think this has the potential to be awesome...keyword: potential.

I'd like to see some bigger devs tackle franchises like NiGHTS and stuff...

After playing Sonic Heroes I thought to myself, "Rare could make a better Sonic game than SEGA nowadays...".

If Traveller's Tales did Sonic (as the news hints they are looking at an unlisted IP)...that would be sweet!

DICE doing CT? After playing Midtown Madness 3, it seems like a great idea!

HotD would be cool if it were done in the DOOM 3 engine. It could run at 60 fps with high detail if planned right.

Shen Mue on the HL2 engine would be great as well.

I see a lot of potential because these games can be taken on another technological level, while staying true to the original storylines and atmospheres.

8bit

Knows the Score
There are undiscovered tribes in the Amazon with no concept of computing that can make better Sonic games than Sega these days.

Top Bottom