• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega love story game for Nintendo DS to be available at Japan launch

Bandicoot

TOKYO--In a recent interview with the Japanese Web site Dengeki Online, Sega reveals a number of new details on its upcoming DS title "Kimi no tame nara Shineru" (which is abbreviated Kimishine, pronounced kee-mee-shee-NAY). Translated into English, the title means "I could die for you" or "I would die for you." Sega hopes to release the game at the December 2 launch of the system if possible.

As reported earlier, the player in Kimishine takes the role of an average boy who is attracted to a nice-looking girl who happens to be surrounded by good-looking men. The game depicts the love story of the boy, who's willing to risk his life to get the attention of the girl. During the game, players will touch the screen as they try and get friendly with the girl.

Kimishine plays with unique silhouette-based graphics that use a color style straight out of the 1970s, and there does not seem to be much dialogue or text in the game. Even more interesting is that Kimishine will be played with just the touch screen, aside from using the start button to pause the game.

Kimishine was announced at E3 2004 under the code name of "Project Rub." The project name comes from the fact that the English words "rub" and "love" are pronounced identically in Japanese. As the early name implies, one of the main things you'll be doing is rubbing the screen, not just tapping it.

The director is Takumi Yoshinaga of Sonic Team, best known as the director of Space Channel 5. The game's producer is Yojiro Ogawa, whose past games include PSO III: Card Revolution. A female planner from Sonic Team named Emiko Sunaga is also working on the title, and although it's rare to hear of female staff working on games in Japan, nearly half of the developers on Kimishine are women.

Pics here
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/22/news_6108211.html

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
IMG_4340.jpg

snapty00

Banned
What's the animation like in this game? Is it sprite-based or does it use some type of cel-shading? If it's cel-shaded, it might be interesting. A game that bland needs smooth animation, and I just don't think sprites would provide that given the space constraints.

ge-man

snapty00 said:
What's the animation like in this game? Is it sprite-based or does it use some type of cel-shading? If it's cel-shaded, it might be interesting. A game that bland needs smooth animation, and I just don't think sprites would provide that given the space constraints.

I think it's more than likely to be cel-shaded. That's one of the things that the DS does support.

WarPig

I love the early days of a new platform, when even rank shit like this is something you have to write up.

Anybody remember Hresvelgr? Or Seventh Cross? Cuz I do.

DFS.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
To be fair, we're not all writing up about Egg Monster Hero or Puyo Pop. I think this game actually holds genuine interest, beyond just the fact that so few other DS games are getting any limelight.

WarPig

Mama Smurf said:
To be fair, we're not all writing up about Egg Monster Hero or Puyo Pop. I think this game actually holds genuine interest, beyond just the fact that so few other DS games are getting any limelight.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

DFS.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Shit I'm surprised you (or anyone else) remembers how to spell Hresvelgr. Love the Gradriel av too...

Meanwhile, yes; there is a definite lack of screen-rubbing novel games today. I am glad we have new innovative hardware to heed the call.

Alex

" Hresvelgr?"

Haha, I almost forgot about that. I think the forum had more fun trying to spell the name in general.

WarPig

dog$ said:
Shit I'm surprised you (or anyone else) remembers how to spell Hresvelgr. Love the Gradriel av too...

I had to play Hresvelgr. And record movies of it, and write up a goddamn preview. I didn't review it, though -- Dave Z got the Hresvelgr duty that day. I was busy reviewing fucking Rock'n Megastage from Jaleco.

I'm still not sure how you pronounce Hresvelgr, though.

The first year of a console's release is a barren wasteland.

DFS.

Alex

That's a pretty shallow sounding love story. :p

I like odd concepts in games, but I think this is a little too...out there, even for me. But I'm still interested in seeing just how they intend to build this into a solid game.

FoneBone

WarPig said:
rank shit like this
What gives? The premise is unique, it has an interesting visual style, and it's from ex-UGA people -- it's hard to blame people for at least being intrigued. (Admittedly, the game may well suck, and it'll almost certainly never come to the US, but still...)

arter_2

that music is great lol its soo crazy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
wistle wistle wistle

FoneBone said:
What gives? The premise is unique, it has an interesting visual style, and it's from ex-UGA people -- it's hard to blame people for at least being intrigued. (Admittedly, the game may well suck, and it'll almost certainly never come to the US, but still...)

I agree, I am totally buying Kimishine at launch! Stop hatin', DFS!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
considering the type of game this is and that it uses the DS touch screen I'm suprised no one has said...

'Girl let me touch you.'

Hero

If this has been answered elsewhere, my apologies, but is the NDS region free? I assume it is, since all the GB's have been, but I haven't seen confirmation.

john tv

although it's rare to hear of female staff working on games in Japan, nearly half of the developers on Kimishine are women.
Hmm, not sure where they got this from. There's lots of women in the JP game business! Maybe you don't see many of them on the top (director/producer), but there's still a ton of them out there.

Top Bottom