• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sergio Leone

SirTerry-T

Just working my way backwards though his Spaghetti Western trilogy again
Watched "For A Few Dollars More" today and man...that fella sure knew how to frame a shot.
Never get bored of his films. The close ups, those gorgeous Spanish vistas, the ugly/beautiful cast, Blondie, Tuco, Angel Eyes, Colonel fucking Mortimer (even cooler than Clint) and of course the genius of Ennio Morricone.

Once A Fistfull of Dollars has been watched I think I will have to grab the Blu-Rays of A Fistfull of Dynamite/Duck You Sucker and Once Upon A Time in The West. Both should be worth a purchase if the quality of this trilogy remaster is anything to go by.

Any other Sergio fans around here?

If a mod could move this to Off Topic Discussion I'd be grateful too

Cheers Mod for moving this. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Murr

Well Once Upon A Time in The West is one of the best movies of all time. So have fun. The musician who played the harmonica in the duel scene recently passed away. Check him out after you watched the movie.

Excess

Absolute genius. Shaped not only Westerns, but all films, with his techniques.

The first 10 or 15 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West have almost no dialogue, but they're some of the best in film. A lot of directors, especially Quentin Tarantino, have borrowed heavily from him. I think Tarantino actually had Ennio scored Hateful Eight, his one Western.

Roberts

I've revisited For a Few Dollars More and TGTB&TU the most, but OUATINW is his masterpiece. Just absolute cinematic perfection.

That said, over the years I have really started to appreciate the works of other Sergio. Corbucci, that is. His movies don't have the polish of Leone's work, but there's a lot of anger, roughness and he is always interesting as a political filmmaker. The Great Silence is up there with Leone's best work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've seen (And own[and love]) his "Dollars Trilogy", Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America and Duck, You Sucker.

I like all of them though Fistful is easily the weakest of what I've seen. FAFDM is my favorite of his westerns but I'm going to be a jerkoff and say "...America" is, to me, his best movie. Something so haunting and beautiful about it. And much like the lengthy epic Seven Samurai, the near 4 hour run time flies by for me.

A lot of people seem king of mixed on "Duck, You Sucker" but I really liked that one too. Maybe not quite as engaging as his more famed ones but I really liked it and it stuck with me. There's a particular flashback moment(Though shown in halves) which I truly loved. Also I def agree with the notion that "Once Upon a Time... The Revolution" should have been it's main release title.

SirTerry-T

Absolute genius. Shaped not only Westerns, but all films, with his techniques.

The first 10 or 15 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West have almost no dialogue, but they're some of the best in film. A lot of directors, especially Quentin Tarantino, have borrowed heavily from him. I think Tarantino actually had Ennio scored Hateful Eight, his one Western.
Yeah he did. Morricone and Quentin's working relationship did not go too smoothly if what I heard was correct. I don't think Ennio was too taken with Tarantino's preference for contemporary music in his film soundtracks.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Yeah I've seen (And own[and love]) his "Dollars Trilogy", Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America and Duck, You Sucker.

I like all of them though Fistful is easily the weakest of what I've seen. FAFDM is my favorite of his westerns but I'm going to be a jerkoff and say "...America" is, to me, his best movie. Something so haunting and beautiful about it. And much like the lengthy epic Seven Samurai, the near 4 hour run time flies by for me.

A lot of people seem king of mixed on "Duck, You Sucker" but I really liked that one too. Maybe not quite as engaging as his more famed ones but I really liked it and it stuck with me. There's a particular flashback moment(Though shown in halves) which I truly loved. Also I def agree with the notion that "Once Upon a Time... The Revolution" should have been it's main release title.
My only real problem with Duck You Sucker was that Rod Steiger's Juan Miranda..as great as he was...is in no way as memorable a character as Eli Wallach's Tuco.

Excess

Yeah he did. Morricone and Quentin's working relationship did not go too smoothly if what I heard was correct. I don't think Ennio was too taken with Tarantino's preference for contemporary music in his film soundtracks.

Well, it certainly wasn't Morricone's best work. It's rather unforgettable in comparison, so not sure if that rubbed off into the work. But from what I last heard, Tarantino still thinks he's the greatest composer of all time.

As for Leone, I still need to see Once Upon a Time in America.

Tschumi

I love his trilogy, haven't seen anything else by him... My only complaint is the anti-war interlude in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... It's not that i disagree with the sentiment, it just feels a bit unsubtle, and a tad misplaced in a spaghetti western..

Watch these movies constantly on rainy Sundays and other times like that.

Edit: oh i think I've seen Once Upon a Time in The West and Once Upon A Time in America.. but i haven't seen America for.. 17 years, I think... I should watch that again...

Last edited:
Top Bottom