• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seventy years ago, the Red Army arrived at Auschwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
child_survivors_of_aisq0c.jpeg

On January 27, 1945, the Red Army entered Auschwitz and opened the gates to about 7000 emaciated human beings, largely Jews, and began to survey the horrors within. These men were hardened by some of the most intense fighting on any front in the war, and had seen starving, maiming, hangings, burnings and mass murders of all sorts. Nothing prepared them for the hell within.

Retired Lt. Gen. Vasily Petrenko, the only surviving commander among the four Red Army divisions that encircled and liberated the camp, was a hardened veteran of some of the worst fighting of the war. "I had seen many people killed," Petrenko says. "I had seen hanged people and burned people. But still I was unprepared for Auschwitz." What astonished him especially were the children, some mere infants, who had been left behind in the hasty evacuation. They were the survivors of the medical experiments perpetrated by the Auschwitz camp doctor, Josef Mengele, or the children of Polish political prisoners rounded up after the ill-fated revolt in Warsaw the previous fall.

But Petrenko didn't yet know that. "I thought: we're in a war. We've been fighting for four years. Million-strong armies are battling on both sides and suddenly you have children. How did they find themselves there? I just couldn't digest it." Only later did Petrenko realize that this was a place where children were brought to be killed. By the hundreds of thousands they had vanished into thin air, and Petrenko's troops marched by the ashes of their bones.

Such accounts were commonplace from those that witnessed that day. Many of this same Red Army who had seen untold horror up until this point had similarly reached a breaking point.

childauscwitz2n6qjr.jpg
childdeadauschwitz1cqn9.jpg

"We told them we were the Red Army and had come to free them. They began to feel our uniforms as if they didn't believe us. We washed and clothed them and began to feed them," said Shapiro, whose speech will be aired in Krakow during Thursday's commemorations of the 60th anniversary of the camp's liberation.

When the advancing Soviet army reached Auschwitz -- the Nazi death camp in what is now southern Poland where 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, perished -- only about 7,000 prisoners remained in its wooden barracks.

The rest were already marched out or dispatched by train in a desperate attempt by the Nazis to cover up evidence of the mass killings.

"We saw everything. The chambers used to gas the prisoners, ovens where the bodies were burned. We saw the piles of ash. Some of my men approached me and said 'Major, we cannot stand this. Let's move on.'," Shapiro said in a phone interview from his New York home.

Humans were reduced to mere cattle; only certain stock selected for insane labor which was almost certain to kill them anyway over time. When you arrived at the camp, those deemed fit were allowed to "live" and go to work; the rest were told they were being deloused but were instead gassed. 75% of all who arrived at the camp were simply eradicated immediately. Over 1.1 million people were killed at this camp, over 90 percent Jewish, or approximately 1 in 6 of all Jews killed during the Holocaust.

Compounding this sick facility was outrageous human experimentation, particularly done on children and twins. Frequently, one twin was injected with something usually extremely dangerous, and they would watch what would happen. If one of the twins died, the other twin was almost always killed. Those who survived live with detrimental health effects to this very day (in one case, one twin had to give a kidney to her sister, because apparently her sister was injected with something that simply caused her kidney to stop growing and functioning correctly. To this day they have no idea what it was).

Sadly, the liberation came just too late for 58,000 other prisoners, who ten days earlier were evacuated from Auschwitz by the Nazi's and forced into a death march so horrific the few survivors said it was far worse than anything they had seen or experienced in the camp itself. Most would never come back from that.

childauschwitzgateqtprw.jpg

The camp itself was not the end of the trauma these people faced. In the years following the war, many survivors found it difficult to ever talk about the event. Many could never again be in relationships; Holocaust survivors are three times more likely to attempt suicide. It didn't matter what success you found, it impacts everyone from the small shopkeep to prominent chemists.

One survivor put it like this:

Later after the death of both of his parents, Art Spiegelman went to a psychiatrist, Paul Pavel who was a Hungarian Jew, survivor of Terezin and Birkenau and who helped him to understand his parents and who was able to explain him what they couldn’t explain.

During one of the session with Paul Pavel, Art got shocked by him saying “Primo Levi was right. The only thing a survivor can do is to kill himself.” Pavel explains it in the following way: “Everything is Auschwitz. Auschwitz is everywhere. People eat meat. Life feeds off life. After the optimism of liberation all the optimisms fail….The impossibility of communicating what happened so it could make difference….All the anger. Who can you get angry at forty years later? All you can do is protest – but to who? (Spiegelman, 2011)

Primo Levi, mentioned by Pavel, was an Italian-Jewish Holocaust survivor, who wrote autobiographical novel If This Is a Man and some other works that won many literary prises. He was giving talks to students about concentration camps, but in the later 1970 and early 1980s, several writers and speakers began to deny the existence of the Holocaust and to claim that it was a lie invented by the Jews.

“Levi was outraged by these articles and attacked them in print and in interviews. These incidents seemed to increase Levi’s feelings of guilt for having survived when so many died. Primo Levi committed suicide at the age of 68. He felt that his entire effort of writing about Holocaust, revealing the truth failed and being totally useless. Feeling guilty of being alive and not doing much for the dead has a special term - survivor's guilt-“a mental condition that occurs when a person perceives themselves to have done wrong by surviving a traumatic event when others did not”(Gambetta,1990).

Link

Today, the horrible legacy of human suffering lives on, as concentration camps exist in North Korea and genocide occurs regularly around the world, from Darfur to Cambodia to Rwanda.

But there are some things, no matter how difficult, we really should never forget.

Yagharek

It really says something about how horrible Auschwitz was when it traumatised Red Army soldiers.

And the sheer conflicting emotions the survivors must have felt when told they had been released would be intense beyond belief. How could they believe it? Would it have felt like a Nazi trick? Where do they go from there?

I don't think anyone can really process what that would be like.

E92 M3

My late great grandma escaped Nazi execution by jumping over a bridge into a body if water. It's so hard to think about everything that happened.

terrisus

If I ever meet a holocaust denier in real life I will punch him straight in the face.

Before I got the internet in 1996, I didn't think there were seriously people who denied it.
I mean, I know people would mention the existence of Holocaust Deniers, but I always figured it was just a few people, who weren't actually taken seriously by anyone.

Little did I know...

Great job, Amir0x.

I recommend to anyone who hasn't read Night, by Elie Wiesel, to take some time to do so. It's a firsthand recollection of his life before and after he was taken to Auschwitz (and later Buchenwald) as a prisoner; the death march mentioned in the OP is also included, to excruciating detail. The entire read is soul-crushing, but there are a few especially dire statements he makes that reminds the reader that those who were subjugated and murdered were not just statistics, but people.

My late great grandma escaped Nazi execution by jumping over a bridge into a body if water. It's so hard to think about everything that happened.

My mother's father was fighting for the Polish army when the German's invaded in 1939. He actually survived a concentration camp as an older prisoner gave him his food rations to give extra strength to escape. After he escaped, he re-enlisted in the army to fight. Crazy shit.

My father's side were Jewish and I'm not sure how many relatives my grandmother/grandfather lost in the Holocaust. They prefer not to talk about it. All I know is a few of my great aunts and uncles were rounded up in a church which was burned to the ground by the Nazi's.

To this day I can't even imagine how humanity could possibly stoop so low.

Patton rounded up a couple thousand German civilians and made them walk through the camp he liberated so that they would know what their leaders had done.

Yagharek

I hope this is one part of history that never repeats itself.

As Amir0x points out in the OP, sadly, history has repeated itself somewhat in some other horrible events (e.g. Darfur, Cambodia, North Korea).

Given the "right" set of circumstances, it seems people are still capable of these sorts of barbaric acts. People need to be vigilant and avoid demonising the "other" in order to prevent future genocides.

Oersted

Before I got the internet in 1996, I didn't think there were seriously people who denied it.
I mean, I know people would mention the existence of Holocaust Deniers, but I always figured it was just a few people, who weren't actually taken seriously by anyone.

Little did I know...

Holocaust denial was pretty strong in Germany postwar. Needed a longass while to overcome that.

gerg

What is so chilling about the Holocaust is how all the developments of modernisation, all the aspects of rationalisation that had been supposed to improve human life immeasurably, were used for the extermination of an exclusive set of peoples. This was record-keeping, the rail network, and maths lessons (among other aspects), all used to support the industrialisation of death.

obin_gam

I dont even get how can you deny such things when there is enough evidence.

Strangely to me it seems that I met far more Austrians who downplay what happened than German.

The problem is that they have an hilariously watertight theory which basically says: every jew in interviews lies.

So there you have it - since the images are photoshopped and every witness is a liar - no proof will convince them otherwise.

As Amir0x points out in the OP, sadly, history has repeated itself somewhat in some other horrible events (e.g. Darfur, Cambodia, North Korea).

Given the "right" set of circumstances, it seems people are still capable of these sorts of barbaric acts. People need to be vigilant and avoid demonising the "other" in order to prevent future genocides.

I posted too quickly and sadly forgot in that moment the atrocities people have committed/are continuing to commit since, sorry :( ...it really will take vigilant, uncensored total education of every future generation about world history to have the chance to eradicate the potential for future genocides, plus dealing with all the other complicated factors ticking in and around the human mind.

temp

posting on contract only
It really says something about how horrible Auschwitz was when it traumatised Red Army soldiers.

And the sheer conflicting emotions the survivors must have felt when told they had been released would be intense beyond belief. How could they believe it? Would it have felt like a Nazi trick? Where do they go from there?

I don't think anyone can really process what that would be like.

Is there something specific about the Red Army you mean? The horrible losses the Soviet people suffered during World War II?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, man. 70 years. It's an instant in our recent history.

Every now and then I cry when I think about this kind of things, so sad to think that a human could inflict such pain unto a fellow man or woman.

And it's even sadder that after all this suffering, it still happens, and we don't bat an eye because it doesn't feel closer to home.

The problem is that they have an hilariously watertight theory which basically says: every jew in interviews lies.

So there you have it - since the images are photoshopped and every witness is a liar - no proof will convince them otherwise.

Not to single you out specifically but to people who speak about holocaust deniers: who are these people? i hear them talked about in abstract terms but never heard one speak before.

Africanus

It is always a learning experience to read such accounts, and realize that as we progress further and further away from World War II, its lessons shall be diluted, its people forgotten, its horrors dulled. 70 years is already an average lifetime away from it. A chilling thought, to realize that this can (and currently is) occuring today.

demolitio

Not to single you out specifically but to people who speak about holocaust deniers: who are these people? i hear them talked about in abstract terms but never heard one speak before.

I've met a few handing out programs outside of the two Holocaust museums I've visited to go along with the assholes that pass out their bullshit outside of the 9/11 memorial. They exist and boy do they test your discipline. It was so hard to restrain myself but the first time I was on a High School trip so I didn't get to say anything.

Yagharek

Is there something specific about the Red Army you mean? The horrible losses the Soviet people suffered during World War II?

Nothing specific, but the Red Army were an army that no doubt had seen a lot of horrible sights based on it being WW2. General warfare seems to traumatise many people anyway. Having to see Auschwitz's horrors would have been an extra strain no-one should have to see, but I guess we can be thankful someone found the place whilst people still survived.

edit: but yeah, the Red Army would have in particular seen a lot of harsh conditions, especially given their winter campaigns. Those conditions would have produced some horrific sights I imagine.

Vio-Lence

Banned
And you have an extermination camp like Treblinka which killed nearly the same amount of people (800-900k) with virtually no survivors. The Nazis disassembled it before the red army arrived in Poland.

I can't suggest the graphic novel Maus highly enough which details some of the conditions people went through in the camps. Even though it shows very little of the very horrific stuff, ever since i have read it, i have come to appreciate the strength of human spirit to go on against all hope.

Cat Party

They are absolutely out there and I've run into them online and off. It's not a huge group, but every year we get farther away from the holocaust, the easier it is to deny it, or more commonly, suggest it wasn't as bad as it was.

There are other massacres/genocides from the last 100 years that are still not universally acknowledged today. It is critical to never underestimate the desire and ability of nations to try to cover up their past.

The episode of band of brothers when they discovered the concentration camps is a powerful one. Hard to even imagine discovering the atrocities let alone being subject to them.

Chichikov

It even traumatized the fucking Nazis.
Not that you should really spend your days feeling sorry for Nazis, especially not concentration camp guards, this is just a way to illustrate just how far beyond pale the stuff that went there was.
Shit, the totenkopfverbände were a bunch of psychos to begin with and went through some rather brutal indoctrination process, and even some of them had trouble dealing with this.

What is so chilling about the Holocaust is how all the developments of modernisation, all the aspects of rationalisation that had been supposed to improve human life immeasurably, were used for the extermination of an exclusive set of peoples. This was record-keeping, the rail network, and maths lessons (among other aspects), all used to support the industrialisation of death.

Yup. It put ultimate lie to the belief that rationality and knowledge inures from prejudice and evil.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Most of europe's jews were killed in the holocaust.. Over a million Jews were killed from 1932-1941, but after all aspects of the "final solution to the jewish problem" were fully implemented in 1942, The global jewish population shrunk by more than 1/3rd in about 3 years.

Cocaloch

Yup. It put ultimate lie to the belief that rationality and knowledge inures from prejudice and evil.

Yeah, the holocaust, along with the other civilian killings during the second world war, is what finally shocked westerners out of viewing History in a Hegelian light. For a lot of actors in the period the shock of the holocaust wasn't that so many died, but that Germans, a civilized people, were capable of such atrocities. This is pretty much why colonialism dies around this time too, the West honestly couldn't convince itself that it was particularly more civilized that the rest of the world.

The thing that always got me were the experiments.
As brutal and removed from empathy as it may sound, but to me, those who were gassed were the "lucky" ones. It even feels horrible just to write this, but that's the nature of these events. But I get it. It was more effective and clean than to shoot all of them. My mind can process it.

On a personal level, the accounts of those who were experimented upon, injected with germs, gasoline, viral strains, put into pressure chambers, slowly cooked to study effects of atmospheric pressure on humans... those stories just dumbfounded me. I just can't process these things. I can't understand them.
It basically exemplifies the extent of depravity and cruelty that these people were capable of, especially when you read the testimony of those who were involved with the experiments, the nursing staff etc...

it's happening right now in many parts of the world; including Nigeria, and ISIS controller territories.

not sure about programs against but I do know that Stalin had a program to move them and sent Jews to a town in the Far-East of Russia

I think Russia had a few pogroms against Jewish people after world war I. And probably before. They aren't usually state-sponsored but a local deal. A pogrom is essentially what Kristallnacht was.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Should never be forgotten. The stories of the horrors committed there should echo through human history as a reminder what we're capable of.

I fear for my country when I hear that schools don't teach about the holocaust anymore, because of the violent reactions it evokes among the pupils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom