• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seventy years ago, the Red Army arrived at Auschwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this thread, Ami. I really like your awareness threads.

We were discussing this again with my wife yesterday and honestly, no matter how much we discuss it or how much we see of it, it's a thing I can never wrap my mind around. The scale and monstrosity of the project are so outlandish that just thinking too long about it is incredibly depressing.

I'll agree with everyone who mentioned Primo Levi, he's an absolute must read.

A bit tangentially, as it isn't about Auschwitz but other camps, Memory of the Camps is an interesting watch as it uses footage that was made in 1945 (and yeah, Hitchcock is involved).

Even more tangentially, Hannah Aarendt's account of the Eichmann trial casts light on the trial of a guy behind the execution of the whole plan. It raises interesting questions as he saw himself as a cog in this monstrous industrial killing machine.

typist

David Duke had a couple of more pressing issues that his Holocaust denial to be honest... Almost elected governor is a bit of a stretch too. He lost by a fairly wide margin.

Yeah, looking him up the guy seems all kinds of crazy, though I'm unsure whether anti-semitism is more/less pressing than racism. Also he still got 39% of the vote, wide or slim it's much too close for comfort

Doczu

Didn't Russia do pogroms against Jews during the same era?

Well the SU is known of doing stuff like that pre-war and during the war, but in the final stages of the war and just after it they did a quick change of PR so that they don't seem so bad. And it's not just the Jews. If they wanted something, they did it. To anyone, even their own.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I've been to Dachau and it's the most depressing thing on earth. Like nothing can ever be happy in such a place.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The majority of my grandmother's family were shot in the street. She was lucky to flee to England.

Everybody hates Jews and probably always will. It used to be whites, now it's the Arab world. Sigh.

Luckily I've never been attacked (only verbally abused, and pretty lightly tbh , even though it upset me). My dad not so much - he has the worst of both worlds because he's Moroccan and Jewish - we used to have a gang of white youths that used to throw stones at our windows, put spiked planks of wood under the car wheels, Etc.

My auntie's family once had to have police protection because people painted on their walls "get out filthy Jews".

Whenever I used to go to synagogue there had to be security guards and there were barbed wire fences.

I don't think it'll ever stop. There'll always be an excuse or justification. Right now it's Jews = Zionist Occupiers. It used to be Jews = Elders of Zion.

The irony? I'm not even religious and I support Palestinian self- determination. None of it makes any difference.

Anjelus_

I've been reading lately about the actions of the Einsatzgruppen, who were enacting the Holocaust long before the first death camps were established. As bad as camps the camps were, people (here) don't really know much about what was going on outside of them.

If you have the stomach, research the Jäger Report, Babi Yar, the holocaust in Lithuania and Belarus, etc. The death camps were the culmination, but you can't really understand the true extent of the genocide if that's all you focus on.

That said, great post OP.

Geido

Too bad it turned into a gift shop.

Have you been there? It's a very touristic place in the sense that there are a lot of tourists, but it's done very respectfully imo.

Anyway, I would advice everyone to visit there at least once if you have the means. The shear scope of what happened hits you like a ton of bricks there. The size of the second camp is just insance...

And the prosthetics... That's the point where I got really really quiet.

CassSept

Didn't Russia do pogroms against Jews during the same era?

They also had their own network of labor camps in form of Gulags where millions have perished.

Though obviously that doesn't make Nazi death camps any less despicable and the exact precision with how the mass murder was carried out is absolutely bone-chilling.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Great post OP.

I boggles my mind that some people even try to deny what happened. I worked at Mauthausen (the biggest KZ in Austria) for a summer. It's almost unbelievable what humans can do to other humans...

Did you know that many russian POW's were seen and treated as traitors in the Soviet Union? Some even landed in Gulags (basically the russian version of a KZ) for getting captured or surrendering.

stryke

Some pretty intense stuff. My father who works as a nurse once met a survivor who refused to take showers because of what she experienced.

DieH@rd

Banned
The last episode of BBC's World at War documentary is a must watch. Videos and interviews they have shown of Auschwitz are so insane.

grmlin

I'm from Germany/Berlin.

I will NEVER forget this one day in school, when a survivor of the holocaust visited us to tell us what happened back then... He even went to KZ Sachsenhausen near Berlin with us. I will never understand how human beings could do this and I still have a lump in my throat when I think about it.

Despera

Banned
What's really sad is that Israel has reenacted some of those horrific acts with palestinians.

I think the most important thing is not just remembering the sad past, but learning from it and making sure to never allow such things to happen again.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What's really sad is that Israel has reenacted some of those horrific acts with palestinians.

I think the most important thing is not just remembering the sad past, but learning from it and making sure to never allow such things to happen again.

.... FFS

daniels

uhmm no it isnt even comparable ...

Darklord

Banned

If you want to compare it to an apartheid, ok. Auschwitz though? Not even fucking close. Learn your history before sounding stupid, please.

The thing that most people don't recognize, and should, is that they set out to permanently change the course of human evolution, and succeeded. Because of the groups of people that they targeted, and on the massive scale that they did so, we're actually on a different genetic path than we would have been otherwise. Not to mention that they wiped out a few ethnic and religious groups entirely. It's like something a supervillain would do, but they actually did it. And not only that, they did the same thing with flora and fauna too. Animals and plants were altered, destroyed, or actually "created" and are still in the world today. They didn't just damage people (or the world) on a personal, national, or geographic level, but on a biological level. It's absolutely appalling.

I myself wasn't aware of this aspect until I read about it in The Zookeeper's Wife, by Diane Ackerman. It's a nonfiction story, but it delves a bit into the biological monstrosities that they did. I was blown away.

Xando

Still don't understand why americans and british didn't bomb the camp in 44 like the jewesh community asked them, would have saved 150.000 jews that were killed between 44 and 45. (They rather bombed the chemical weapon factory 2 kilometres away)

Meowster

This is a topic that, for some reason, deeply disturbs me and often makes me just sit in quiet and think and try to find rationalization. It's so harrowing. So depressing. I remember my grandmother telling me that one of her best friends once she hit her twenties was a young woman that had been to one of the camps as a little girl and lost her whole family. She said that she was one of the funniest and warm-hearted persons she has ever met.

My heart goes out to the people today who live under such terrible conditions as this and the evil under the guise of genocide and to those who've lost their lives due to it.

Despera

Banned
uhmm no it isnt even comparable ...
Doesn't need to be on the same level or close to it even.

What I'm saying is that a people who experienced and endured such human rights violations first-hand should naturally be the ones who proactively try and avoid committing such violations. This is true not just for Isarel but for other nations as well.

In any case it was just a passing thought as I was going through the OP.

And it's about time I watched that BBC WWII documentary...

Klyka

Banned
As a German who had two grandfathers that had fought in the war these topics always make me question if what my grandparents told me they did during the war was the truth or not. One of them was stationed in France as a regular infantry soldier, the other in the east as a tank commander. I have heard many stories from them, we have talked about what they knew/didn't know or theorized about many many times and of course I believe them, they are my family,they wanted me to know, why would they lie?

But still, every time I read about the history of my country during this time, I always, as bad as it makes me feel, have this tiny bit of "What if they didn't tell me the truth?" in my head.

Makes me feel like shit,really.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
As a German who had two grandfathers that had fought in the war these topics always make me question if what my grandparents told me they did during the war was the truth or not. One of them was stationed in France as a regular infantry soldier, the other in the east as a tank commander. I have heard many stories from them, we have talked about what they knew/didn't know or theorized about many many times and of course I believe them, they are my family,they wanted me to know, why would they lie?

But still, every time I read about the history of my country during this time, I always, as bad as it makes me feel, have this tiny bit of "What if they didn't tell me the truth?" in my head.

Then they truly did something they are ashamed of and don't want you to know.

The important thing is you recognize the horrors of humanity, not necessarily the actions of any one man in war or genocide.

mekes

A bit tangentially, as it isn't about Auschwitz but other camps, Memory of the Camps is an interesting watch as it uses footage that was made in 1945 (and yeah, Hitchcock is involved).

Oh man... I have not seen footage like that anywhere before. I don't have the words for the camp and the footage that ensued, but to think minutes away some people were living an idyllic life...

Doczu

If they were simple soldiers of the Wehrmacht then the only thing they could ever be ashamed of is anything they did themself (and that is if they did anything beyond following orders). They were not responsible for the holocaust, did not participate in it, and even if they did know about it, they couldn't do anything to stop it. After '42 the only thing they were doing is delaying the oncoming defeat as long as they could. No one should ever dispise the simple troopers. They were soldiers like any others.

My great-grandfather said that at least the Germans were civilized and after the invasion of Poland they did behave with honor against our soldiers and civilians. The SS side of the army/Reich and the occupation forces and politicians is a totally other story.

They were not responsible for the holocaust, did not participate in it, and even if they did know about it, they couldn't do anything to stop it.

The Wehrmacht does not have clean hands; in addition to the "normal" war crimes that would occur periodically without orders from high up (execution of civilians; plundering; rape etc), there was close collaboration with the SS particularly in the east. Wehrmacht units participated in the execution of Jews and other targets of the holocaust. Wiki has an extensive summary.

Having participated in the Wehrmacht, the Hitler Youth or even the SS does not automatically mean that a person was directly involved in any atrocities. But neither were the atrocities neatly segmented into a single box whereby the SS can take sole responsibility.

Amir0x

Banned
^^ Beaten by ThoseDeafMutes!

If they were simple soldiers of the Wehrmacht then the only thing they could ever be ashamed of is anything they did themself (and that is if they did anything beyond following orders). They were not responsible for the holocaust, did not participate in it, and even if they did know about it, they couldn't do anything to stop it. After '42 the only thing they were doing is delaying the oncoming defeat as long as they could. No one should ever dispise the simple troopers. They were soldiers like any others.

My great-grandfather said that at least the Germans were civilized and after the invasion of Poland they did behave with honor against our soldiers and civilians. The SS side of the army/Reich and the occupation forces and politicians is a totally other story.

This is a myth that evolved out of the first World War II, as a way of compartmentalizing the guilt for what occurred. Yes, it is true that among the Wehrmacht there were plenty who were not involved, and some who greatly hated the SS. But plenty in the Wehrmacht not only knew of the concentration camps, but found no problem with them at all - and many participated in the mass slaughter of innocents on the Eastern Front, including Jews.

Another, much more likely interpretation would be that the systematic extermination of the Jews did not play a significant role in the conversations between cellmates because it had little news value.

When conversations do turn to the extermination process, the emphasis tends to be on questions of practical implementation. There are hardly any passages in which the listeners are surprised by what they are hearing. Almost no one indicates that the stories being told are somehow unbelievable or that he is hearing them for the first time. "It can be concluded that the extermination of the Jews is common knowledge among the soldiers, and to a far greater extent than recent studies on the subject would lead one to expect," write Neitzel and Welzer.

Hardly any soldier says that he was directly involved, but many talk about what they saw or heard. The accounts are often astonishingly detailed and, in any case, much more precise than the information German investigators could later glean from witness testimony. In April 1945, Major General Walter Bruns describes what happened during a typical "Jew operation" he witnessed.

Bruns: "The trenches were 24 meters long and about 3 meters wide. They had to lie down like sardines in a can, with their heads toward the middle. At the top, there were six marksmen with submachine guns who then shot them in the back of the neck. It was already full when I arrived, so the ones who were still alive had to lie on top, and then they got shot. They had to lie there in neat layers so that it wouldn't take up too much space. Before this happened, they had to turn in their valuables at another station. The edge of the forest was here, and in here there were the three trenches on that Sunday, and here there was a line that stretched for one-and-a-half kilometers, and it was moving very slowly. They were standing in line to be killed. When they got closer, they could see what was going on inside. Roughly at this spot, they had to hand over their jewelry and their suitcases. A little farther along, they had to take off their clothes, all except their shirts and underpants. It was just women and little children, like two-year-olds."

This is a really good read on the subject

Wehrmacht Soldiers on the Eastern front have a particularly implausible argument to make that they either didn't know or weren't complicit in the horrors that took place. The Eastern Front was a true "total war", Hitler told the soldiers from the start that it was to be a far less civilized War than what was going on in the West. From the start exterminations were commonplace policy and soldiers of all type took part.

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the commander of the Afrika Korps had promised the full co-operation of his corps in assisting the 24-men strong Einsatzgruppe Egypt in the murder of the Jewish populations of Egypt and Palestine had the Germans occupied those places (given the small size of Einsatzgruppe Egypt at only 24 men, it would have required considerable help to achieve its mission).[34] The American historian Gerhard Weinberg commented that Rommel's willingness to work with the SS in killing the Jews of Egypt and Palestine suggested that he was as every bit committed to the "Final Solution" as his counterparts on the Eastern Front, and that his reputation as a chivalrous officer opposed to Nazi crimes is undeserved.[35] Other generals and officers, such as Walther von Reichenau, Hermann Hoth, and Erich von Manstein, actively supported the work of the Einsatzgruppen. A number of Wehrmacht Heer units provided direct or indirect assistance to the Einsatzgruppen, supplying them with lorries that could be used for roundups. Many individual soldiers who ventured to the killing sites behind the lines voluntarily participated in the mass shootings.

It was nevertheless difficult for commanders on the eastern front to avoid knowing what was happening in the areas behind the front. Many individual soldiers photographed the massacres of Jews by the Einsatzgruppen. Joachim Fest points out that one of the factors that led Claus von Stauffenberg and other German officers to plot the July 1944 attempt to assassinate Hitler was their growing awareness of the crimes that Hitler was committing in Germany's name. Stauffenberg argued that these crimes released German officers from the oath of loyalty they had taken to Hitler. If Stauffenberg and other officers in his circle were aware of the Holocaust, so must many others who did not act on that knowledge as Stauffenberg did, at the cost of his life.

Link

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
To expand on what was posted above, I would recommend Hardcore History's Ghosts of the Ostfront series. Provides insight into how the Wehrmaucht and Red Armies conducted themselves on the horrifying eastern front and the varying levels of atrocities committed by either side.

Indeed, the Wehrmaucht did not come out of the war with clean hands, but I still pity many of the common soldiers involved in that war on both sides; the disposable tools of insane, hateful people.

Dryk

It makes me so mad that after driving survivors of these atrocities to suicide the answer to "How do Holocaust deniers sleep at night?" is probably still "fine".

Figgles

Still don't understand why americans and british didn't bomb the camp in 44 like the jewesh community asked them, would have saved 150.000 jews that were killed between 44 and 45. (They rather bombed the chemical weapon factory 2 kilometres away)

How do you save them, by bombing them?

Travolta

Neo Member
The thing that always got me were the experiments.
As brutal and removed from empathy as it may sound, but to me, those who were gassed were the "lucky" ones. It even feels horrible just to write this, but that's the nature of these events. But I get it. It was more effective and clean than to shoot all of them. My mind can process it.

On a personal level, the accounts of those who were experimented upon, injected with germs, gasoline, viral strains, put into pressure chambers, slowly cooked to study effects of atmospheric pressure on humans... those stories just dumbfounded me. I just can't process these things. I can't understand them.
It basically exemplifies the extent of depravity and cruelty that these people were capable of, especially when you read the testimony of those who were involved with the experiments, the nursing staff etc...

Does anyone know if these experiments managed to gather any useful medical data? For example, vivisection leading to a better understanding of how the human body works, thus helping advance organ transplants studies etc. Not that I defending these acts, just curious.

Boem

It's also important to realize that atrocities like this are still happening today.

There are various accounts of people who've escaped the North Korean death camps, but one that comes to my mind regularly is Shin Dong-hyuk, who, as far as we know, is the only person to escape the camps who was actually born there. He never knew any other life before then. I have his biography, and it's absolutely horrible. You read all these accounts, that seem vaguely familiar if you've ever read anything written by holocaust survivors, but then you look at the dates next to them - 1995, 1998, 2001, 2005. It's happening now, while we're sitting here reading this. If you read his accounts, about how living in a hell like that destroys the human spirit, where his own parents and brother were basically strangers to him, fighting over food among themselves - he actually told the guards his mother and brother were preparing to escape, expecting to be rewarded. His actual reward was to be tortured and having to witness the execution of his brother and mother. There are other escapees who shared their own experiences in the camps, and it's worth looking into. We must never forget the past, but I can't understand why we're allowing this to go on. It sickens me.

Great write up dude. People should be more aware of these things.

It's sad to think about this stuff still exists in our world. I remember researching the Rwandan genocide in high school. Horrible stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
Does anyone know if these experiments managed to gather any useful medical data? For example, vivisection leading to a better understanding of how the human body works, thus helping advance organ transplants studies etc. Not that I defending these acts, just curious.

It's a bit of a complex subject. To be sure, Nazi Science - that is, scientists that operated within the Nazi regime - were quite successful at times. For example, in 1943 Germany was the first ever to recognize the link between asbestos and lung cancer/mesothelioma as a result of work from their scientists. Not all their scientists were participating in unethical things. They were also amongst the first to recognize that smoking causes lung cancer.

But the Nazi's like Josef Mengele, those who participated in the truly dark human experimentation, few if any data has been useful today. Mengele's research was mostly destroyed; what we do have was poorly organized, horrendously set up from a scientific perspective and almost completely devoid of value (and most of his experiments were failures... he never did figure out how to increase the Aryan Birth Rate). In a few rare cases the Scientific/Medical community has had to deal with the complex moral issues behind using verifiable and useful data that came from human experimentation.

For example, Sigmund Rascher's freezing experiments have been quoted more than a dozen times in medical journals in modern studies done, and is generally at least slightly credited in part with the development of techniques to slow down the progress of hypothermia and freezing. That said, many medical journals will outright reject your paper if you source his experiments.

There are a handful of cases like that we can point to, but overall the data gained from such human experimentation was just a black hole of miserable and useless information motivated by a racial hatred so intense that it allowed people to do this. The sole decent thing that came out of this perhaps is that the International Community decided on rules for medical studies/tests after the war due to this stuff.

Embearded

I really don't get why many people forgive troopers and soldiers by giving them these excuses. It's a big fat lie! You don't have to accept the orders. Not if you have a working brain and some pretty simple logic. If you accept the orders, take the gun and start marching towards the "enemy", then you are as guilty as those that give the orders.
And yes they could do something to stop the activity at the camps. But they chose not to do anything.

Same goes for the Americans in the Middle East, thinking that they "save" them by bombing them and stealing their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom