• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Hearts 2 or Shin Megami Tensei?

Shouta

The same kind of crack that keeps me from appreciating Wild Arms 3 ;P

Also the same kind of crack that prevents you from having any sort of opinion that isn't laughable ;P

At most placess if you buy SHC you get the first SH game free... Also SHC is getting good reviews!

IGN 9/23/2004 9.1 out of 10 91.0%
Gamespy 9/27/2004 4 out of 5 80.0%
GameSpot 9/27/2004 8.6 out of 10 86.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 11/1/2004 7.67 out of 10 76.7%
PSM Magazine 11/1/2004 10 out of 10 100.0%
GamePro 11/1/2004 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
GMR Magazine 11/1/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
Playstation Magazine 11/1/2004 4 out of 5 80.0%
Game Informer 10/1/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
Game Zone 10/5/2004 9.2 out of 10 92.0%

Miburou

I've had a hard time finding SH2 here in Montreal. Finally ordered it from dvdsoon.com.

BTW, how was Koudelka? I might get that off of ebay, since I liked SH and will probably like SH2, too.

Miburou said:
BTW, how was Koudelka? I might get that off of ebay, since I liked SH and will probably like SH2, too.

It's a pretty decent game. Battle system is ok, music rocks, voice acting is decent, CG is on par with PSone FF (not too surprising when you consider the team is made up of old Square members). It's really short though (about 17hours or so). It wouldn't be worth it at full price, but with it being so old you can probably find it for 10 dollars or so and it'd be worth that.

I just checked and they did some game called Faselei! for the NGPC. Never knew that. I thought they'd only made Koudelka and the SH games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've been playing Shadow Hearts 2 for a little while now, not terribly far in it... but I've noticed that they've used the music very poorly, too... it seems I'm hearing the same song over and over in towns and dungeons. The world map music is good tho :p The game is hilarious, and I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't totally floor me. The towns feel so limited after playing SO3, and the dungeons are a bit on the repetitive side. But it moves along fast and doesn't get bogged down with too much unnecessary crap, like a lot of common RPGs do. So far, I'd put it under SO3 and TOS, as my favorite RPGs this year, and I'll probably eventually pick up Nocturne. The reviews haven't been too kind on Nocturne, unfortunately... the game is probably a bit too hardcore for their taste :p

JackFrost - my soul got sucked out of me when I started working full time :p (but I don't really care for the art, it's all preference... I like the out of game art a bit better than the cel shaded low poly characters they use in game, if that's any consultation)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
djtiesto said:
I've been playing Shadow Hearts 2 for a little while now, not terribly far in it... but I've noticed that they've used the music very poorly, too... it seems I'm hearing the same song over and over in towns and dungeons. The world map music is good tho :p The game is hilarious, and I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't totally floor me. The towns feel so limited after playing SO3, and the dungeons are a bit on the repetitive side. But it moves along fast and doesn't get bogged down with too much unnecessary crap, like a lot of common RPGs do. So far, I'd put it under SO3 and TOS, as my favorite RPGs this year, and I'll probably eventually pick up Nocturne. The reviews haven't been too kind on Nocturne, unfortunately... the game is probably a bit too hardcore for their taste :p

JackFrost - my soul got sucked out of me when I started working full time :p (but I don't really care for the art, it's all preference... I like the out of game art a bit better than the cel shaded low poly characters they use in game, if that's any consultation)

Yeah, like I said, the music usage sucks. ESPECIALLY coming off of Star Ocean 3, which just has incredible amount of variety and quality. The music in SH2 is very good, but they just don't use it well...

I'm still loving SH2. I'm on Disc 2 right and moving forward, but I think SO3 is a better, more enjoyable GAME at this point. However, SH2 has much better characters and story telling. SO3 had some of the worst cutscene direction I've ever seen...

maskrider

dark10x said:
Yeah, like I said, the music usage sucks. ESPECIALLY coming off of Star Ocean 3, which just has incredible amount of variety and quality. The music in SH2 is very good, but they just don't use it well...

I'm still loving SH2. I'm on Disc 2 right and moving forward, but I think SO3 is a better, more enjoyable GAME at this point. However, SH2 has much better characters and story telling. SO3 had some of the worst cutscene direction I've ever seen...

The real-time cut-scene anmiation of SO3 is bad, too. Heh !

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
maskrider said:
The real-time cut-scene anmiation of SO3 is bad, too. Heh !

Well, "cutscene direction" in this case includes everything. The animation, camera movement, and everything else just sucks ass. I LOVE the gameplay, but damn, the cutscenes are terrible.

Shadow Hearts 2, on the other hand, has some of the best animation/direction I've seen in an RPG. Honestly, the ONLY RPGs I can think of that can compete are the two Xenosaga games (from a pure animation/direction standpoint). Very lovely.

belgurdo

Banned
Miburou said:
I've had a hard time finding SH2 here in Montreal. Finally ordered it from dvdsoon.com.

Koudelka is shit. It wants to be a hybrid of a RPG and Resident Evil, and fails. It, however, has a good story and voice acting. Stick to the SH games

Top Bottom