• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Hearts Convenant trailer (English voices)...

ferricide

Doom_Bringer said:
whats so good about this game? Looks pretty average to me.

this is what i said, when asked about the battle system, in another thread:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12094&page=2&highlight=star+ocean

SH2 is a big step up from the original.

the judgment ring system makes a return, but there's a lot more customization to it. you can add more segments to the ring (could you do that in 1? it's been a long time; i don't think you can) and you can also enlarge the segments to make it easier. you can pick different ring configurations -- i.e. normal (normal speed, normal size) or technical (smaller, but better damage) or auto (if you can't manage the system, you can still play the game.)

magic is accomplished by equipping demonic crests which grant spells (except for yuri, whose magic is inherent to his demonic forms, of which there are lots, though some are redundant.) every character has his/her own special attacks, too, like FF. karin has sword techs (forget what they're actually called) and joachim has wrestling attacks, etc. these are also cool because for each character, you have different ways of powering these up, which adds to the outside-battle gameplay.

another big addition is the combo system, where you link up attacks to do massive compounding damage to enemies. special attacks all have knock down, launch, or blowback built into them, so you have to do things in the right order to link 'em up. these are fun, and each of yuri's forms has a massive combo-ending spell that's unique, so it's worth puzzling out the elemental resistance of bosses to use this properly.

there's just a lot to this game. nothing terribly original, but tons of it, and an interesting story told well. it shames square enix's recent stuff IMO, if you want this kind of game. better than any of their RPGs this gen, FFX excepted, IMO. (i was going to say "games" but i haven't played FM4 much. nor do i know definitively how this stacks up to DQV, so japan-only releases are excepted.)

Doom_Bringer said:
whats so good about this game? Looks pretty average to me.

I haven't played the sequel yet, but the riginal is my favorite RPG of this gen. It had a unique battle system (could've been a bit faster though), great story, characters and an amazing soundtrack (composed by Hirota and Mitsuda). By far the most underrated RPG this generation.

P90

SolidSnakex said:
I haven't played the sequel yet, but the riginal is my favorite RPG of this gen. It had a unique battle system (could've been a bit faster though), great story, characters and an amazing soundtrack (composed by Hirota and Mitsuda). By far the most underrated RPG this generation.

I really liked the original as well. I agree, the battle system could be sped up. I loved the judgment ring. The overall pace of the game needed some caffeine as well. One of the top tier RPGs this gen.

u_neek

B281066Ab.jpg

Holy shit! Preorder from GameStop OR EB Games and get Shadowhearts 1 for free!! Damn, and that cover rocks!

How much did the first sell?

Alex

Whatever happened to Mitsuda? It seems like almost everything RPG music wise is either being written by Sakuraba or Sakimoto these days.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Does this have the same composer as the original? I ended up buying that soundtrack... which I would describe as... hauntingly good.

"How much did the first sell?"

Not nearly as much as it should've. :(

That's a nice extra though, especially for those that didn't get a chance to play the original. Not really sure what to think of the cover though, it's not too often that the main character isn't the one displayed on the cover. Here's the Japanese box:

B0001IML9O.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

They both look good, and the US box will probably give more attention with her on the cover anyway.

"Whatever happened to Mitsuda?"

He hasn't really been doing much ever since Xenosaga. Mainly just doing a few songs on soundtracks like he's done with the 2 Shadow Hearts games, and he did something on the BoFV soundtrack.

Alex said:
Whatever happened to Mitsuda? It seems like almost everything RPG music wise is either being written by Sakuraba or Sakimoto these days.
He did help out on SHII's soundtrack, but Yoshitaka Hirota was the main composer. Wonder why the guy can't seem to get full charge of a soundtrack anymore. Is he relaxing, or is he doing music for crappy anime out of necessity?

"Does this have the same composer as the original?"

Yep, it's still Hirota and Mitsuda. They've added Kenji Ito to it this time though, he does a few songs on the soundtrack like Mitsuda, but it's still mainly Hirota.

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
"How much did the first sell?"

Not nearly as much as it should've. :(

That's a nice extra though, especially for those that didn't get a chance to play the original. Not really sure what to think of the cover though, it's not too often that the main character isn't the one displayed on the cover. Here's the Japanese box:

They both look good, and the US box will probably give more attention with her on the cover anyway.

But the US cover art does not have the soul of the original. It seems like a rough redone of the CG.

Anyway, SH II (Covenant) is a great RPG, don't miss it, IMHO.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey Maskrider, is there any way you might be able to help me in Tenchu Kurenai? I'm stuck on the third mission where you have to follow the one-eyed Samurai...

EDIT: Just found your Kurenai page. ^^

maskrider

Lyte Edge said:
Hey Maskrider, is there any way you might be able to help me in Tenchu Kurenai? I'm stuck on the third mission where you have to follow the one-eyed Samurai...

EDIT: Just found your Kurenai page. ^^

Heh ! I have done videos of mission 1 to mission 8 so far, and I am just a casual that you can do what I did, hope my videos give you some hints.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just keep getting a mission over when I try to follow that samurai guy. :) I hope it isn't too hard to get the extra outfits unlocked, too...

maskrider

Lyte Edge said:
I just keep getting a mission over when I try to follow that samurai guy. :) I hope it isn't too hard to get the extra outfits unlocked, too...

Keep the reading at the radar above 40 (under 40 there will be a warning), and go to the roof when you can, you should be safe.

Alex

Bingo, best OST ever. Although, disc one was my favorite.

Espically Time's Scar and Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World. Which is by far the best overworld theme of all time.

Kweh

I remember when 2 songs got sneak previewed before the album came out, one of them was Chronopolis, and after i had heard that, i couldn't wait for the full album.

Slighty off topic, but is there a definitive list of FF soundtracks?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kweh said:
I remember when 2 songs got sneak previewed before the album came out, one of them was Chronopolis, and after i had heard that, i couldn't wait for the full album.

Slighty off topic, but is there a definitive list of FF soundtracks?

Chuddah's Corner would probably be your best bet... it's a game music review site.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fantastic... more 40+ hour RPG's I want to buy and know I'll never have time to play.

Top Bottom