• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue fans will WANT to see this!

Psymon

That's a wonderful little video. :)

It somehow really gave me this "I REALLY WANT A SHENMUE III SEGA PLEASE A SINGLE PLAYER ADVENTURE PLEASE!!" feeling. Not that there's something very wrong with Shenmue Online... But... Just... :/

The video proofs that the Shenmue engine is capable of steraming world geometry on the fly. The area shown in this video is bigger than any area in the actual games.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
There is a lot of stuff in Shenmue (especially the first one) that in the code but not used at all. For example there is the logic for the cars near the bus station to stop if Ryo goes on the road, but you actually can't go there.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ok just watched the video. It's a nice hack but it really does not prove anything we did not already know about the shenmue engine.
But just earing this song makes me want to play that game again. I think that scene with Nazomi is one of my fondest videogaming memory. Such an incredible shock after this loooong fight.

Sho Nuff

Banned
ERROR: File Not Found
The file you tried to download could not be found.

Please return to the front page or use your browser's "Back" button to try again. If the problem persists, please submit a customer service report and we'll look into it. Sorry for the trouble!

J2 Cool

Blimblim said:
Ok just watched the video. It's a nice hack but it really does not prove anything we did not already know about the shenmue engine.
But just earing this song makes me want to play that game again. I think that scene with Nazomi is one of my fondest videogaming memory. Such an incredible shock after this loooong fight.

same here. The game had an amazing soundtrack and so many heartfelt moments. Both 1 and 2. It started slowly but I never realized how emotionally attached I became through the first one.. Well, kinda. I did notice that I hadnt shaved, clothed, or moved one day till like 6. Hell, a good portion of that christmas season consisted of me, a box of cereal, and Shenmue. The amazing thing came in that I never expected to be found in that series grip again but Shenmue II brought me right back in and had me addicted. Great great series imo. If some people dont like it that's very understandable but the people who do like it love it. Man, I'd pay $150 for a Shenmue III game, whatever it takes. Just get me the game pleease! Shenmue Online Im really not excited about

J2 Cool

CVXFREAK said:
Best website ever.

iawtp. I cant remember how many times fileplanet has not allowed me to download something. Sadly I can't remember the movies i wanted to download there but I remember really wanting to and being denied. bah, thats gonna bug me

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
segasonic said:
I dl'ed . It's just the motorcycle track. Nothing too exciting.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about the video. I'm interested to learn how he got past the bus station barrier though

What's the possibility of there being an area where you can meet, or at least see Lan Di that was taken out of the main game but still there?

Saturnman

Banned
Remote.

What the movie shows is freely going into an area that was previously in the distance and was only accessible in a very limited portion of the game.

But if you insist...

Ryo: Lan Di... you're still in Japan?
Lan Di: only because you cheated... now you die
Ryo: argh!

Sho Nuff

Banned
If you take too long in the game -- like a ridiculous amount of time -- Lan Di comes and kills you. It's the bad ending. Obviously.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heh, I think I had to download a game save to see that ending. You had to go past around Februrary or March in game time to see the ending...that's way too long

aoi tsuki

Sho Nuff said:
If you take too long in the game -- like a ridiculous amount of time -- Lan Di comes and kills you. It's the bad ending. Obviously.
Here's the video:

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/shenmue/large/shenbadending.zip

i ahd heard about this ending, but could never get it myself. Be forewarned... it's bad. Typical Sega bad. Ironically,
it's the second time Ryo ever fights Lan Di in the first Shenmue

While on the subject, what does "Shenmue" mean? i figured it meant something in Chinese seeing as how it was written in katakana under the English title.

Saturnman

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
While on the subject, what does "Shenmue" mean? i figured it meant something in Chinese seeing as how it was written in katakana under the English title.

You didn't play much of Shenmue II, did you? :)

it's named after a specific tree

XS+

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
Bookmarked.

EDIT: Just saw the hack video, it's abolutely uncanny that AM2 modeled a city that well. Take Yokosuka and suck up all sentient life from the city and it looks pretty much the same as it does in that video.. too bad you can't explore like that in the actual unhacked version of SM1.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The beta versions and the hacking that's been done with the game revealed a few things that aren't normally obvious about the engine.

Firstly, the weather can be a lot more dynamic as shown in the engine demos where different sized snowflakes fell from the sky, snow covered the ground in much deeper layers, and where strong wind gusts and particle storms displayed in the footage of the as-yet unintroduced character Niao Sun (in addition to the game's other natural disaster-type effects like the flooding river scene.)

The magic time system showed the time-lapsed effect that the changing seasons had on the trees, where each individually modeled leaf and cherry blossom could fall from the branches of the detailed trees and coat the ground as summer and autumn gave way to winter.

The "head" demos were proved to use the full character models, although that was already shown possible in the game's intro with Shenhua. Non-interactive locations used in certain cut-scenes and flashbacks have been fully explored and revealed to be fully modeled in places that the original scenes didn't go anywhere near covering. Also, the programming of the game was very modular, as mod hacks have been done to create almost completely original scenarios with character swaps, dialogue swaps, and even custom subtitles and texture work - here's a good example of it: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/modclips/chawantrap.zip

There were so many assets created for this series. Of the 1,500+ individual characters created, even people like the bus driver and helicopter pilot at the end of Shenmue II who'd barely be noticed by anyone got distinct faces and short biographies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
where each individually modeled leaf and cherry blossom could fall from the branches of the detailed trees and coat the ground as summer and autumn gave way to winter

Damn, it's a shame the engine was downgraded so much. :(

The trees in Shenmue were all pretty simple. The Shenmue tree at the end of the second game was beautiful, though, but it was also nothing more than flat texture layers.

There are not too many pictures available to show off the trees in Shenmue, though. I found a couple pictures from the XBOX version with trees present. This is pretty much how all of the trees were handled in the game...

shenmue2_screen012.jpg

shenmue2_screen014.jpg

On a side note, since you seem like quite the knowledge base for all things Shenmue, do you happen to know if there is an XBOX version of Shenmue with original Japanese voices (perhaps a Japanese release of the game?). The XBOX version looks SO much cleaner than the DC version and I can use the progressive mode on my TV with ease. I'd love to play the game again with faster loading and better visuals...

Lazy8s

dark10x,
Damn, it's a shame the engine was downgraded so much. :(

The trees in Shenmue were all pretty simple. The Shenmue tree at the end of the second game was beautiful, though, but it was also nothing more than flat texture layers.

There are not too many pictures available to show off the trees in Shenmue, though. I found a couple pictures from the XBOX version with trees present. This is pretty much how all of the trees were handled in the game...
The engine was not downgraded at all. The falling leaves demonstration was time-lapsed over passing seasons (and can be seen in the Magic Time/Weather movie on Shenmue I's Passport disc), but the effect was still used during the game in, for example, Ryo's flashback of his father instructing him in kung fu under the blossom tree outside their dojo. The large tree in the Hazuki's yard is fully modeled down to each leaf, and there are other trees which could shed some of their individually modeled leaves too (though, none were modeled as completely as Ryo's family tree and Shenhua's tree in accordance with their storyline importance.)
do you happen to know if there is an XBOX version of Shenmue with original Japanese voices (perhaps a Japanese release of the game?). The XBOX version looks SO much cleaner than the DC version and I can use the progressive mode on my TV with ease. I'd love to play the game again with faster loading and better visuals...
The Dreamcast version is sharper and doesn't have the overused blur trails of the Xbox version, but the Xbox version does clean up the IQ and slowdown by a good amount and has somewhat better load times (there's also lots of other smaller differences here and there - glow filter in Xbox version, glitchiness in Xbox version - in both system's favor, but the games for the most part were kept close.) Unfortunately, unless someone produces a hacked build of the game with a dialogue swap between the Japanese DC and Xbox versions, I don't think there'll be a way to play the Xbox version with the solid Japanese voice acting of the DC original.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
dark10x,

The engine was not downgraded at all. The falling leaves demonstration was time-lapsed over passing seasons (and can be seen in the Magic Time/Weather movie on Shenmue I's Passport disc), but the effect was still used during the game in, for example, Ryo's flashback of his father instructing him in kung fu under the blossom tree outside their dojo. The large tree in the Hazuki's yard is fully modeled down to each leaf, and there are other trees which could shed some of their individually modeled leaves too (though, none were modeled as completely as Ryo's family tree and Shenhua's tree in accordance with their storyline importance.)

The Dreamcast version is sharper and doesn't have the overused blur trails of the Xbox version, but the Xbox version does clean up the IQ and slowdown by a good amount and has somewhat better load times (there's also lots of other smaller differences here and there - glow filter in Xbox version, glitchiness in Xbox version - in both system's favor, but the games for the most part were kept close.) Unfortunately, unless someone produces a hacked build of the game with a dialogue swap between the Japanese DC and Xbox versions, I don't think there'll be a way to play the Xbox version with the solid Japanese voice acting of the DC original.

You're getting a little crazy here, Lazy. Individually modeled they were not.

The Dreamcast version is shimmers pretty badly, though. Also, that "overused blur" is actually an effect that I LOVE and wish was present in the DC version. Of more importance, I can take advantage of progressive scan on XBOX...whereas it is not viable for me at this point to attach my DC to my VGA monitor and I have no way of converting VGA to component right now. There is also a pretty large difference in load times. The DC has some truly dreadful waiting to be found within, and the XBOX edition removed a lot of it. That's why I want to play it on XBOX.

However, the English voice is just awful and has kept me away. I guess it was never released in Japan on XBOX then, eh (or, if it was, they used English voices)? I just replayed the ending again recently and loved it once again.

Lazy8s

dark10x,
Individually modeled they were not.
If the leaves weren't individually modeled, they couldn't have fallen off the tree, spun in the air as they drifted down, and settled on the ground around Ryo like they did when he was practicing with his father in the flashback, striking the tree while learning the stun palm from Jianmin, or trying to catch the falling leaves at Man Mo Temple as instructed by Xuiying.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
dark10x,

If the leaves weren't individually modeled, they couldn't have fallen off the tree, spun in the air as they drifted down, and settled on the ground around Ryo like they did when he was practicing with his father in the flashback, striking the tree while learning the stun palm from Jianmin, or trying to catch the falling leaves at Man Mo Temple as instructed by Xuiying.

The falling leaves may have been, but the leaves on the tree most certainly were not (which is what it seemed you were attempting to imply). The falling leaves were simply flat polygons. Nothing particularly complex there...but it did look pretty in motion.

While I have you here, perhaps you can answer the two questions you missed last time...

What is it about effects like this...

1.jpg

ico_gs57.jpg

...that kept them out of all Dreamcast games? I recall someone stating that lighting of that type was no big deal, yet you never saw anything like it on DC. How does that work?

Also, which PS2 games did you play through VGA (using the same display as your DC)?

Lazy8s

05.jpg

06.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

During this presentation, the tree below was shown dropping all of its leaves to the ground in time-lapse with the passing of the seasons.

07.jpg

dark10x

F*CK!!!!

:pounds desk:

My DC is acting up again. It won't get past the swirl logo on ANY of my games. It just clicks for a while and then stops reading. I knew I should have purchased a backup unit when they were easy to find.

I'll probably just wait until I move to Japan next March and buy one there...

Well, I'm going to keep trying my Shenmue disc. I know the game didn't look nearly as impressive as the early pics implied. I still have that free issue 0 of the ODCM (the really thin one) with tons of high quality Shenmue pics in it...and the final game does not look that good at all.

Answer my other questions while I mess with this thing...

edit - Sweet, it finally worked. Watching the intro again now (haven't seen it in a while). Looks worse than I remember, actually. The trees thus far are total ass (flat "leaf" textures wrapped around in a circle) and the voice compression is SOOOO BAD in the US version. The Japanese version was not this compressed sounding, IIRC...

dark10x

XS+ said:
Not this BS again.

It will never end!!!
laugh.gif

Oh for sh*ts sake, Lazy...why do you even try to pull this stuff? I just watched the flashback scene under the tree, and yes, the petals look sweet...but the tree is made up of a bunch of flat textures crisscrossed together. Individual leaves my ass.

Not only that, the rest of the vegitation is very simple, the background vegitation (behind the fence) is a super low-res texture in the form of trees, AND the sky is blocky as all hell. Not only that, the textures are pretty blurry looking all around. Looks a lot worse than I remember, to be quite honest...

However, on the other side of the coin, I think I might sit down and play around with the game for a bit. The atmosphere is still pretty cool and it brings back some good memories. :) Just quit with this BS. You constantly hype the DC up well beyond what it was doing while slamming everything else. It was a great machine, but you're making wildly untrue claims here.

Lazy8s

dark10x,
but the tree is made up of a bunch of flat textures crisscrossed together.
The parts with textured vegetation did not prevent the tree from being modeled fully down to each falling leaf, which was the specific demo feature being contested with regard to the final game. Remember, watch the Magic Time and Weather movie on the Shenmue Passport disc (in the offline Theater section) to see a tree demonstrated over the course of changing seasons, dropping all of its leaves to the ground and eventually becoming bare.

As for the tree in the game having every leaf on it individually rendered to fall off, that wouldn't be done for the very obvious reason that a tree wouldn't shed all of its leaves for autumn in the course of a cut-scene. If the scene were displayed over a couple of months however, it would then have to be made to reduce every bit of its vegetation... like the demo did, as was the point.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
dark10x,

The parts with textured vegetation did not prevent the tree from being modeled fully down to each falling leaf, which was the specific demo feature being contested with regard to the final game. Remember, watch the Magic Time and Weather movie on the Shenmue Passport disc (in the offline Theater section) to see a tree demonstrated over the course of changing seasons, dropping all of its leaves to the ground and eventually becoming bare.

As for the tree in the game having every leaf on it individually rendered to fall off, that wouldn't be done for the very obvious reason that a tree wouldn't shed all of its leaves for autumn in the course of a cut-scene. If the scene were displayed over a couple of months however, it would then have to be made to reduce every bit of its vegetation... like the demo did, as was the point.

There is nothing on the tree that is falling. Those falling leaves are generated as such and have nothing to do with the actual tree. The pic is way too small, but that demo tree you posted looks MUCH different from what is actually present in game.

You never answered my other questions either. I'm curious, that's all.

Lazy8s

dark10x,
There is nothing on the tree that is falling. Those falling leaves are generated as such and have nothing to do with the actual tree.
The whole 'tree dropping leaves' thing is an effect in the first place. In real-time for this generation, it would likely only be handled by a composition of different systems, one working to reduce foliage and expose bare branches and another working to shed leaves.

The point is that the behaviors presented by the demo are used in the game as much as context allowed. It can't be said to have been downgraded.
The pic is way too small, but that demo tree you posted looks MUCH different from what is actually present in game.
The engine behind the beta and game is very flexibile. That was the point of those demonstrations, along with the other demos that showed character tracking across the whole city (even after the player left a section of town) as well as the game's real-time auto-generated lip synching (still one of the only games ever to use a real-time algorithm for lip-synch generation since most games have a simpler dialogue implementation and can save in-game processing cycles by being able to pre-record mouth movements offline and just play them back.)
You never answered my other questions either. I'm curious, that's all.
The basis for performing such effects was explained, and the issues regarding how visual design is influenced by advancement in the craft as much as advancement in technology were also explained.

Top Bottom