• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Online Video up!

MaddenNFL64

It's most likely the video the renders were capped from.

I don't have the patience or the baud rate, so I hope someone here writes down the particulars of the conference.

border

It's pretty stupid. A bunch of CG intercut with close ups of a keyboard as mysterious hands type on it. Eventually he hits the "Enter" key and he is transpoted into the game....just as Ryo is confronting Lan Di. It cuts off before the end, which I assume is going to be Ryo and the new "online" guy shooting fireballs out of their hands.

Andy787

Banned
Oh my fucking god. I think they just destoyed my favorite series of all time. So.. you're telling me... the mirrors... turned the world into a MMORPG.

I just took a crap in my pants.

Gonna go kill myself now.

thx.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i'm hoping this is for just some dumb ass online universe that has nothing to do with the series. if it screws the rest of the story i will seriously NEVER forgive sega.

XS+

Banned
Are you supposed to slit your wrists up-and-down or side-to-side? I forget.

That looks pretty damned horrible btw.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
BeOnEdge said:
i'm hoping this is for just some dumb ass online universe that has nothing to do with the series. if it screws the rest of the story i will seriously NEVER forgive sega.

and the over reactions come piling in.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Why is there surprise and anger over the mysticism and magic in the game? What did you think the mirrors were for in the first place?

BOE,

are you just upset about it being online at all or what?

Vgamer

Yea i mean the end of Shenmue 2 clearly showed that was where the series was headed why all the surprise over magic??

BeOnEdge

Banned
nah. i'm upset that sega is wasting the shenmue name for some stupid online game. WTF? why not use phantasy star or something else? shenmue 2 wrapped up to be the beginning of an epic part 3 and now they come to this? If the story continues with this online game then where the hell would that leave the people who want the single story and not some online BS? Like i said if its some alternate side story that does effect the TRUE sequel then fine but if sega leaves the sequel at this then they can piss off.

MaddenNFL64

BeOnEdge said:
nah. i'm upset that sega is wasting the shenmue name for some stupid online game. WTF? why not use phantasy star or something else? shenmue 2 wrapped up to be the beginning of an epic part 3 and now they come to this? If the story continues with this online game then where the hell would that leave the people who want the single story and not some online BS? Like i said if its some alternate side story that does effect the TRUE sequel then fine but if sega leaves the sequel at this then they can piss off.

Alternate reality. I hope for that too.

*hopes*

BuG

XS+ said:
Are you supposed to slit your wrists up-and-down or side-to-side? I forget.

That looks pretty damned horrible btw.
If memory serves correct, the schoolyard nursery rhyme went a little something like, "down the road, not across the street". So up-and-down.

Downloading now.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BuG said:
If memory serves correct, the schoolyard nursery rhyme went a little something like, "down the road, not across the street". So up-and-down.

Downloading now.
Actually, the optimal way is diagonal slashes -- you'll cut more "cords" this way and speed up the whole process considerably. The slashes should form an "x" pattern for the best result, as this will ensure maximum coverage.

Just in case anyone was wondering, since this game seems to be suicide-inducing amongst Shenmue fans.

BuG

human5892 said:
Actually, the optimal way is diagonal slashes -- you'll cut more "cords" this way and speed up the whole process considerably. The slashes should form an "x" pattern for the best result, as this will ensure maximum coverage.

Just in case anyone was wondering, since this game seems to be suicide-inducing amongst Shenmue fans.
Primary school lied to me. :( That would also explain what that chick from The Craft meant when she said, "you even did it the right way!" Anyway, back to Shenmue...

Wow this is one of the fastest torrents I've ever had. Thanks Blimblim. :p

So like, what's wrong with the game again? I think never playing Shenmue game was a good a thing.

If that video was of ShenMue 3 for XBox 2, I would have fapped till skin came off my dick. Luckily for me, it's entirely a horrible, cruel tease.

Damn that footage looked awesome though, pre-rendered or not.

Vgamer

I think it looks pretty cool myself. And I think that the Tidus rip off is just one of the 1300 characters we the players can choose to be. You could see that the guy on the PC got sucked into the game as the Tidus clone but im sure there is Tons more you could choose to be. All in all its better then I imagined a Shenmue online could be and we have barely even heard anything yet. Im excited to learn more before I trash what looks like could be an amazing game.

If anyone hasnt seen it yet someone from Shenmue Dojo posted a Translation of the official Shenmue online site that has more details of the game here http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~shenmuedojo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17392&start=0

Some of the info there

-It will have 1300 characters to choose from
-6000 cut scenes
-You Wont be Ryo but will interact with him and other main characters from Shenmue 2(Ren,Joy,Wong,Fangmei etc...)
-There will be Multiple Fighting styles and You can choose to make your character just do kung fu or be more mystical and have fireballs etc...
-Game Starts in Hong Kong. However, the location is expanded to TinJian and other parts mainland China.

lots more info there as well

adamma666

was there a covershot of Shenmue 3 for Dreamcast or what was that supposed to be? in the middle, there was Shenmue 1. to the left was Shenmue 2. but on the right there was a Shenmue cover that i have never seen before. and there was a DC logo on it. so i don't think this was Shenmue Online, but maybe an early design for part three?
and on the map you could see at least two more stages of Ryos journey through China. argh! i don't want a stupid MMORPG. damn.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Interesting stuff on the link posted, says the game takes place after Shenmue (1) and starts in Hong Kong, so i guess it'll be a while after the game has launched that we actually see what happens next after shenmue 2.

I think the video was just a teaser, i dont think the mirrors created a MMORPG (lol), they just used that to show that you'll be interacting with Ryos world and probably have the chance to shape the way things turn out.

wow this thing might not bomb after all...T2 already have one MMORPG running (Heaven-Hell its called) with 350,000 registered players and a record of 80k players simultaneously. (thanks again to that ShenmueDojo thread)

Vgamer

Ya I think some of the game takes place during the Shenmue 2 time period and you run accross the characters with your player and somehow get involved with them. Could be good we will see how it turns out.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
theres actually no indication that the mirror did ANYTHING in the video.

all that happened is that some guy came in to save the mirror "by using his computer."

You guys are taking things way too literal.

Mason

LOL, yeah, I don't think the mirrors created a MMORPG. It's just their clever transition into introducing the online aspect of the game.

Vgamer

Yea the video probably does have nothing to do with the actual game your right. Its probably just a promotional video to re-remind people about Shenmue.

dorikyasu

adamma666 said:
was there a covershot of Shenmue 3 for Dreamcast or what was that supposed to be? in the middle, there was Shenmue 1. to the left was Shenmue 2. but on the right there was a Shenmue cover that i have never seen before. and there was a DC logo on it. so i don't think this was Shenmue Online, but maybe an early design for part three?
That was Japan-only "US Shenmue". Basically the English dubbed version of original Shenmue for Japanese market.

Edit: btw, Shenmue is dead to me now... Good job, Sega!!!

Newduck

i'm VERY disapointed with this, the whole mirrors giving everyone powers thing does not seem like the direction the game was going in at all, having a glipse of small mystical power at the end of the SECOND game, then a full on jump into everyone has special powers world between games is a terrible terrible way of handling things.

Shenmue was always ill thought out when in terms of layout out the plot etc, but this is one of the stupidest things to do in story terms. You two videogames that have perhaps the slowest plot progression ever, with barely enough events in the both of them to really warrent one game, then the games biggest plot development, bigger then i even though the series could take, is pretty much unveiled in a series of CG screenshots? That is completely retarded.

Nevermind the fact that sega have almost zero chance of pulling the game off successfully, it has almost everything going against it.I can see their logic, asian based MMORPG heavily based on mystic kung fu = $$$ in korea and asia, but its not that simple, and it just wont work.

Boogie9IGN

Bah, so many haters

Why else would Lan Di want the mirrors so bad? So he could hang them up in his kitchen and look at them?

Also, didn't Ryo have a dream in the first Shenmue about the mirrors being together and mystical shit happening?

Top Bottom