• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Force PS2 trailer (IGN)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
er, is this a strategy game at all? doesn't even look like real-time strategy...it looks like an action game. if that's the case, why are they calling it shining force instead of shining something else? it looks alright. but it's weird.

although actually i'd prefer an action game to real time strategy. bleh.

oh, and i dig the cheesy 70s string arrangement.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It does seem cool. But whats the point of making this and Shining Tears? They both look like Action-RPGs to me.....oh well I'll prolly like them both.

Seth C

It looks good, but it doesn't look like Shining FORCE. That's not Shining Force. It can be "Shining" something, but not Force. Bah.

ferricide

i seriously doubt it's an action game. it's just missing the HUDs and stuff that would indicate where the movement and hit perimeters are.

the japanese site simply says "RPG" for what it's worth.

the graphics were also better than i expected in person. this seemed to be the theme of TGS, as radiata stories looks way better in person than the scans look.

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
...this seemed to be the theme of TGS, as radiata stories looks way better in person than the scans look.

Really? I didn't actually wait in line and play RS, but watching over people's shoulders I thought the game looked much worse than the magazine scans ^^;; Same thing with Tales of Rebirth which in motion looks even worse than ToDII in it's usage of 2d >.<

ferricide

Bebpo said:
Really? I didn't actually wait in line and play RS, but watching over people's shoulders I thought the game looked much worse than the magazine scans ^^;; Same thing with Tales of Rebirth which in motion looks even worse than ToDII in it's usage of 2d >.<
yeah, TOR looked crappy. wow. bring on TOS2, or whatever.

but radiata stories looked much better than my (really low) expectations. the subtle bloom effect looked really nice, and the character designs are more palatable when you see them animated/hear the voices. it was pretty nice. note: i am still not excited.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I saw the trailer for TOR... wow, the game seems to move about 1/2 the speed of TOD2j... very lethargic, and the combat is extremely slow-paced for a Tales game.

Bebpo

Banned
djtiesto said:
I saw the trailer for TOR... wow, the game seems to move about 1/2 the speed of TOD2j... very lethargic, and the combat is extremely slow-paced for a Tales game.

Actually I thought the combat both looked good and seemed fun with some more depth than the previous outings do to the way moving around 3 lines is handled. Can't really tell how good or bad it is until I get to mess around with the AI and see how well they can support me in fights.

It's just the bizarre 2D from an angle perspective that they're using in towns is just ughhh. The characters up close are really pixalated and the running animation looks bad and awkward.

Oh well. If the characters are likeable and the battle system rocks I don't mind ugly towns. A good story would help too, but I'm not gonna bet on that.

ferricide

TOR seems pretty skippable from TGS, but i didn't actually play it. i also don't want to burn myself out on the series and can wait for the next real (read: 3D, has a budget) game. there are plenty of english RPGs to play right now. and other games in other genres too!

man, i get mad when people take threads off topic. but i don't have anything to say about shining force besides what i already said. =P

Top Bottom