• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ship's Anchor Hits Communication/Internet Cables, AGAIN FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomu Gomu

So I started my computer today, so I can browse what's new in NeoGAF. But the Internet was so slow, so bad, I couldn't stream a single video from the internet. Apparently there was something wrong. So I contacted my ISP to see what's wrong. They said the communication cables in the Mediterranean sea were severely cut.

From Bloomberg.com:
Internet and telephone communications between the Middle East and Europe were disrupted by submarine cable failures between Italy and Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea.

The failures cut the flow of ``data of various kinds'' between Europe and the Middle East, and there's no timeframe for when communications will be restored, said Sanjeev Gaur, director of assurance at Mumbai-based Reliance Globalcom Ltd.

Three submarine cable systems linking Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Europe are affected, according to Reliance and Melbourne-based Telstra Corp. The cables run from Alexandria in northern Egypt to southern Italy. In January, two cable systems were severed by an anchor 8.3 kilometers (5.2 miles) from Alexandria beach after bad weather conditions forced ships to moor off the coast.

``Customer services and some mobile-phone customers'' at Vodafone Group Plc's Egyptian unit are affected by the cable failure, said Simon Gordon, a spokesman for the U.K. company. Egypt is the only country where the company is aware of any problems linked to the failure, he said. Most mobile-phone calls are routed through fixed-line cables at some point.

Portugal Telecom SGPS SA, Portugal's biggest phone company, has redirected traffic through other cables in the region and therefore the ``impact is very small,'' said a company official.

Alexandria Link

A fault is affecting the SMW4 cable near the Alexandria cable station, the FLAG FEA cable is down and the SMW3 cable system is also affected, according to information received from Telstra. Flag Telecom Group Ltd., a Reliance Globalcom unit, operates FLAG FEA and the other cables are owned by groups of phone companies across the regions.

Mark Heraghty, senior vice president responsible for Europe, the Middle East and Africa at Flag Telecom, declined to comment when contacted by Bloomberg News.

Reliance Globalcom doesn't know exactly what happened and engineers are working on the problem, said Anurag Joshi, head of the company's global network operations center.

The SMW4 cable, also known as SEA-ME-WE 4 or South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 4 cable network, connects 12 countries including Pakistan, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Italy and France.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aH.VPx226QVo&refer=europe

The funny thing is that the same problem happened exactly about one year ago. with the same goddamn reason :lol. I'm no sailor or anything, but why on earth would a ship sail with it's Anchor pulled down ? It's like driving a car with it's Hand brake pulled down :lol

glistenm

Banned
NeoGAFFer said:
So I started my computer today, so I can browse what's new in NeoGAF. But the Internet was so slow, so bad, I couldn't stream a single video from the internet. Apparently there was something wrong. So I contacted my ISP to see what's wrong. They said the communication cables in the Mediterranean sea were severely cut.

From Bloomberg.com:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aH.VPx226QVo&refer=europe

The funny thing is that the same problem happened exactly about one year ago. with the same goddamn reason :lol. I'm no sailor or anything, but why on earth would a ship sail with it's Anchor pulled down ? It's like driving a car with it's Hand brake pulled down :lol

Maritime Drifting?

Ceres

Banned
The answer is in the article.

Definitions of moor on the Web:

* secure in or as if in a berth or dock; "tie up the boat"
* come into or dock at a wharf; "the big ship wharfed in the evening"
* one of the Muslim people of north Africa; of mixed Arab and Berber descent; converted to Islam in the 8th century; conqueror of Spain in the 8th century
* secure with cables or ropes; "moor the boat"

And a better one specific to what they were doing.
Moor: To secure a ship in position by two or more anchors and cables. 2. To attach a vessel to a buoy, or buoys. 3. To secure a vessel by attaching ropes to positions ashore.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't know why, but I find it funny that in this day and age of technology, we essentially just have a massive wire stretched across the ocean like we're setting up a cross continental LAN party :lol

dalyr95

You'd think that after the first incident they might trying laying another cable, its not like they're not going to need the capacity one day

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
I don't know why, but I find it funny that in this day and age of technology, we essentially just have a massive wire stretched across the ocean like we're setting up a cross continental LAN party :lol

1qfxgm.jpg

Gomu Gomu

Ceres said:
The answer is in the article.

Definitions of moor on the Web:

* secure in or as if in a berth or dock; "tie up the boat"
* come into or dock at a wharf; "the big ship wharfed in the evening"
* one of the Muslim people of north Africa; of mixed Arab and Berber descent; converted to Islam in the 8th century; conqueror of Spain in the 8th century
* secure with cables or ropes; "moor the boat"

And a better one specific to what they were doing.
Moor: To secure a ship in position by two or more anchors and cables. 2. To attach a vessel to a buoy, or buoys. 3. To secure a vessel by attaching ropes to positions ashore.

I don't quite get it sorry :|.
Do you mean that the ship was secured to Internet cable, then it was drifted away because of the bad weather, which caused the cables to be cut ?

Ceres

Banned
NeoGAFFer said:
I don't quite get it sorry :|.
Do you mean that the ship was secured to Internet cable, then it was drifted away because of the bad weather, which caused the cables to be cut ?

No, because of the bad weather, they dropped anchors to secure the ship and prevent it from capsizing

gblues

Banned
Bad weather caused several ships to moor off the coast (basically, throw the anchor out to stabilize the boat). The weather caused the anchors to cut the underwater (=submarine) cable systems.

In other words, it wasn't just some random boat dragging its cable around for the fun of it.

linkboy

At least you still had electricity.

I'm deployed to Iraq and some guys were digging a trench and cut through 15 power lines killing power to pretty much the whole base for close to 16 hours.

I was regulated to watching movies on my iPod after running my PSP and DS battery dry.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
juanes287 said:
Isnt there a better way to do this? like with satellites or some shit. S

Latency is a huge problem if you go the satellite route last I heard....

linkboy said:
At least you still had electricity.

I'm deployed to Iraq and some guys were digging a trench and cut through 15 power lines killing power to pretty much the whole base for close to 16 hours.

I was regulated to watching movies on my iPod after running my PSP and DS battery dry.

You know, this is not exactly what I picture you guys doing over there all day.. lol

Thanks, though.

Loki

Count of Concision
RubxQub said:

:lol

Pimpwerx

RubxQub said:
At least there's more than just a tin can at each end of the cable. :? PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom