• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My sister works at an animal hospital or something, and, apparantly, they have the cutest little kitten in the world there. I don't know how official that is. Anyway, it needs a home and she's begging me to take it. I just moved into my first apartment, it's a nice efficiency apartment, so I suppose there would be enough room for a cat. She said they would have it declawed, given shots, everything.

Anyway, I suppose I'm okay with the idea, but I don't know about being a "cat guy". Is it uncool for a 22 year old guy living alone to have a cat? Is it uncool for any person living alone to have a cat unless they're a girl or above 65 years old?

firex

Having a pet shows you have responsibility but aren't tied down, and girls that like cats are easy fucks and mentally unstable (well, ok, not all of them, but most of the cat fangirls I've met are).

It's not like if you pick up some girl and bring her back to your place she's going to be all "rofl you own a cat, i'm getting the fuck out of here homo."

Cats are really good company. They are friendly and cuddly, but they can fend for themselves and don't require as much micromanagement as dogs. They say people with pets are less stressed out too. Look at my evil, cute cat! Don't you want one too?:)

miyuru

Sounds like you're already pretty insecure let alone cool if you're wondering whether it's cool/uncool to have a cat ^_^ jk jk

Anyway I'd only go for it if you're settled in your apartment and are ready to take on more responsibility. I wouldn't get it declawed though, but that's just me (no specific reason, just ethics).

demon

fenekku-gitsune said:
:lol that's how I read it at first o_0

Well, I guess I'll get the damn thing. I was just somehow brought up to think that cats are chick pets.

AeroGod said:
You'd be surprised. :(
... :( ?

pestul

Cats rule.. unfortunately, mine just went into heat. So she's really loud, but cute at the same time. She gets fixed on Monday.

demon

by the way, do male cats behave any differently from female cats? This one's a male.

I think I might name him Jinx or Jinxy, like Deniro's cat in MTP. That would rox.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you know they live for like 13 years right? 35 dude. Thats all I'm saying. Travel much?

You need to get like 30 cats, never leave your place and call them your children.

Seriously though, I'd get one. I'd been considering getting one myself, but it'd cost my rent an extra 30 per month if I did.

Companionship or cable... hmmm...

Loki

Count of Concision
The moral of the thread is that cats are the friend of the irresponsible and the negligent. ;) :D

If you want to brighten up your life, get a puppy. Cats are like stuck-up women, except you never get to bone them (unless...), and they aren't even great eye candy. Dogs are like playful, loving children; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which species to choose. :)

PS- if it's the responsibility that you're worried about, well, most small breeds can be house-trained to do their business on a small newspaper patch in some secluded corner of the home, and they usually only have to be fed twice per day-- so you can do it once before you leave in the morning and once in the evening. You shouldn't ever neglect your dog, though, so if you've got a REALLY hectic schedule, I'd advise against a purchase. But if you have some spare time, they can be the best thing that's ever happened to you. :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
demon said:
by the way, do male cats behave any differently from female cats? This one's a male.

They piss all over the place until the smell sets in. And then when you clean the smell out after a few months, they piss all over the place again, and then piss on things you own out of revenge.

That could have just been my cat, though, and he hated absolutely every other person on the planet but me. And he even got annoyed with me after a few minutes a day.

edit: Dogs suck.

demon

My apartment does not allow dogs, so that's out of the question.

Alucard

Banned
Cats are low maintenance pets. Keep 'em fed, teach 'em to use their litter box, and you're set. The rest of the time they'll either be sleeping or acting hyper around the house.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Loki said:
Dogs are like playful, loving children; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which species to choose. :)

What if you absolutely despise playful, loving children?

Personally, the neediness of dogs irritates me. In contrast, I truly respect the independence that cats have. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks once I move.

Loki

Count of Concision
Archaix said:
edit: Dogs suck.

Funny you should say that-- because I was talking to my dog the other day (no, not in that Charles Manson way, but in a "tea & crumpets" way), and he asked whether I'd ever heard of a particularly heartless and cruel specimen of a human being called an "Archaix"; I mentioned that I had seen him around here and there, and he implored me to steer clear of such a one, as he may offend my sensibilities or even try to cut off my wang for no reason. As he tells it, the canine world isn't too fond of you either, dude. ;) :p

Seriously though, I've never understood how ANYONE could prefer cats over dogs. :) I know, I know, opinions are like assholes, but still... :p

I mean, cats have their place, and some of them ARE cute-- it's just that their place is several rungs below dogs on the "animals I should cohabit with" ladder. ;)

My two persians always want to play, are really affectionate, and have awesome personalities. Total people/lap cats. They aren't big and smelly, are much cuter, and I don't have to take them outside for walks and to piss and shit.

My conclusion: DOGS SUCK CATS ROX. There. Get one.

thrillhouse.jpg

c2.jpg

Cerebal Palsy....oh my god. You should put warning on shit like that. The cuteness about killed me!!!!! What adorable little cats you have. My cats are now pissed as all hell. They KNOW when you're looking at pics of other cats.

firex said:
Having a pet shows you have responsibility but aren't tied down, and girls that like cats are easy fucks and mentally unstable (well, ok, not all of them, but most of the cat fangirls I've met are).

It's not like if you pick up some girl and bring her back to your place she's going to be all "rofl you own a cat, i'm getting the fuck out of here homo."

lol, it would be funny if a girl said that...word for word including the "rofl"

demon said:
I think I might name him Jinx or Jinxy, like Deniro's cat in MTP. That would rox.

rofl, what a homo

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
From a personal point of view, I think cats can go fack themselves and I want you, earnestly and wholeheartedly, to get a dog... but I appreciate how your landlord might not like that.

So why not compromise and get a
Ferret_-_collar-cropped.jpg

? They're small like cats, but they smell like dogs!

fenekku-gitsune said:
From a personal point of view, I think cats can go fack themselves and I want you, earnestly and wholeheartedly, to get a dog... but I appreciate how your landlord might not like that.

So why not compromise and get a
Ferret_-_collar-cropped.jpg

? They're small like cats, but they smell like dogs!

from my experiences, they smell worse than dogs.

Che

Banned
I have a cat and he personally hates me. Plus he has that look:
DSC00439.jpg

all the time. Buy a dog instead.

Che said:
I have a cat and he personally hates me. Plus he has that look:
DSC00439.jpg

all the time. Buy a dog instead.

You should have given him/her more attention as a kitten. Spending a lot of time with the cat the first year really molds their personality. If you ignore them they become totally independent, and reclusive.

Che

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
You should have given him/her more attention as a kitten. Spending a lot of time with the cat the first year really molds their personality. If you ignore them they become totally independent, and reclusive.

I did. I love animals. He still hates me.

demon

Why do people keep telling me to get a dog when I clearly stated in the thread that my apartment does not allow dogs? Did I ever mention anything about dogs otherwise?

BlackMage

Banned
demon said:
Why do people keep telling me to get a dog when I clearly stated in the thread that my apartment does not allow dogs? Did I ever mention anything about dogs otherwise?

Wasn't telling you to do anything. I just felt like trolling the cat lovers.

P.S. SUCK IT!

Miguel

demon said:

You should get a dog.

White Man

Cats are way better than dogs. Kitty-kats seem to be as elitist as myself in their behaviour. There's really no other choice -- dogs are too simple. They seem to be completely based around an eat and hump agenda. At least cats sleep a bit and also make you feel inferior.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
get the cat, you wont regret it....declawed though? id worry my cats would be in danger if they didnt have their claws to help them climb things.

Ghost said:
get the cat, you wont regret it....declawed though? id worry my cats would be in danger if they didnt have their claws to help them climb things.

You shouldn't let your cat outside in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom