• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simply the most photorealistic racer this gen, gt4 2 new vids

cobragt3

Uhh, one is Bspec and that's no replay, that's a real time race, and it looks exactly like a replay. So that means replays use the ingame graphics, nice try at dissing gt4.

FightyF

Banned
Plus many of the shots in there exposed graphical flaws the game has.

I think the animation for the driver is absolutely awesome. It looks quite natural, I wonder if that is in gameplay as well. (because in games like PGR2, he is as erratic as you are, though playing with a wheel will make it more realistic) This extends to the pit crew as well.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Damn nice job on the pit crews...

DarienA: There's a snippet of non-replay footage in the second video... it's clear that it's the same graphics in a different view.

Looks stunning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DarienA said:
Bah replays shouldn't be used to make this kind of judgement.

I dunno, replay angles are a more realistic representation of what WE (as non-professional drivers) would like see more of...

cobragt3

That works but still, a replay is alot better and it doesn't matter, replays use the ingame graphics, that arguement should be dead now after witnessing that b spec vid were the real time race looked like a normal replay.

cobragt3

No vid releases is a intro, all ingame. Some where set as presentations, like angles you dont see in replays but still ingame detail. Why would we see the intro of the game this early?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fight for Freeform said:
I think the animation for the driver is absolutely awesome. It looks quite natural, I wonder if that is in gameplay as well.

It is. There is in Prologue too (on the only open car available there. The Fairlady Z IIRC). I even grabbed a video myself and posted it on GAF. Probably someone still has it in his hard disc. It's awesome indeed. And the driver doesn't just move the hands to operate wheel and trasmission. He looks at the rear mirror when going backward, and moves the appropriate leg when accelerating/braking/shifting.

Gek54

m0dus said:
It's not to say it looks BAD by any means, simply not "the most photorealistic this gen."

You forgot to tell us what you thought was instead the most photorealistic game this gen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
www.gamespot.com or www.granturismoworld.com.

B-Spec = Director Mode

More than a rather abstract equation, B-Spec = Director Mode is a completely new option that takes you out of the driver's seat and into the plush leather swivel chair of a race team manager. Revealingly described as a "Gran Turismo that players don't drive", B-Spec = Director Mode gives you the opportunity to command an AI-controlled driver instead of directly participating in a race.

Interestingly, the B-Spec option sits in tandem with the existing A-Spec (i.e. standard racing) in GT Mode, allowing you to decide when you want to drive and when you want to sit back and dish out instructions from the pits. If you wish, you can actually play through the entirety of GT Mode in a completely non-participatory fashion, which is great news for all of you auto-loving types who prefer to leave the driving to the (virtual) professionals.

Rather than seeing the action from the traditional GT racing perspective, directors will be able to choose from three view types: Broadcast View (replay-style camera angles), On-Board Camera (one for each car) and Race Monitor Screen. The latter provides vital information on every competing vehicle, including lap times, split times, the time difference compared to the other racers, and which laps were used for pit stops. All this data will help you get the measure of the competition and judge your driver's comparative performance.

Fine tuning of your vehicle in B-Spec is even more important than when you're participating yourself; you'll have to conduct tests on your settings and tyre selection before each race to ensure that the car is optimised for your proposed strategies in the next race.

Once a race is underway, you'll be able to put your tactics into practice using a variety of command options. Pace Command lets you give your driver pace instructions on a five-level scale, Easy to Hard - the easier the pace, the safer the race. While this will save on tyre wear, you'll have to push hard at times, taking risks in order outpace your rivals. However, any pace commands can be overridden by the Overtake Command, which automatically instructs the AI to prioritise passing the car in front. Finally, the rather self-explanatory Pit In Command orders your driver to enter the pit lane, giving you the option to adjust the tyre selection and the amount of fuel required for refuelling.

Gek54

That will be cool for the endurance races, sit back with a beer, yell out some commands, and chill as you watch a sweet race.

element

PS2 KID said:
Oh wait for the online edition next year. :D But you probably weren't interested in the first place. NEXT!
I'll play forza which ships with online :) Then look for Xbox 2 racers >drool<

lame! no tire marks!

aoi tsuki

Is it safe to assume that B-Spec isn't polling the controller as many times as in the other standard race modes? Doesn't seem like it would need to, and those extra processing cycles would be put to better use producing those visuals, among other things.

i'm extremely tempted to get GT4, but it would be nothing more than a tech demo for me as i utterly hate sim racers.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
aoi tsuki said:
... i utterly hate sim racers.

:(

We're not such a bad lot, maybe a bit anal at times, but our mothers love us *sniff*

Or did you mean you hate the games? :p

shpankey

not an idiot
That second video is amazing, thanks for the hookup. I can hardly wait for this masterpiece. I will actually be buying all 3 versions (first one, then the PSP one then then online version). Just an amazing game, I am its slave already heh.

One question, anyone know if it will have a widescreen mode ( ::crosses fingers:: )?

Solid

shpankey said:
One question, anyone know if it will have a widescreen mode ( ::crosses fingers:: )?
It will. Both GT3 and GT4 Prologue has it so I see no reason why PD should take it away. They know A LOT of people have widescreen TVs :)

Gek54

m0dus said:
Um . . .take another look-- the second video (TGSGT-4-2) is running at about 20 fps. I would highly doubt that is any semblance of in-game. it may be using in game models (a'la the GT2 intro), but it screams prerendered to me. If you think you wouldn't be seeing the intro to the game this early, you're deluding yourself.

:lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gek54 said:
So much for the 'on-rails AI' everyone has been bitching about.

I'll be absolutely floored if they've actually put real AI in GT4. God knows they've had time to do it, but rubberbanding has always been GT's primary flaw aside from the lack of damage.

BeOnEdge

Banned
looks amazing! while i wouldnt say "photo" realistic, i think u mean something else. polyphony has the absolute most realistic camera system EVER in a racer. i think thats what helps seperate GT from the other sim racers. the camera moves so damn fluid and lifelike that its insane.

Zer0

Banned
shpankey said:
59.jpg

cobragt3

RsC2 is far from photorealism. Seriously, the game is detailed and all but it doesn't look more photorealistic than gt4. It's no where convincing like gt4. Gt4 is photorealistic, photorealistic is an art technique that resembles realistic with attention to realistic detail. Gt4 has a great case of global illumination, and lighting, making it look very convincing. And that vid moved as fast as any gt4 vid that was encoded into a vid, it was moving at 30fps and that's usual for any vid that has been encoded.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i'd agree. RSC2 is far from photoreal. not even close. PGR2 is more real looking than rsc2. and yes GT4 looks realistic as well but saying its the most photorealistic looking racer this gen is correct but i still dont think its the correct enough term. the world lighting helps but the movent of the cars at some points still look CG as well as still shots. in motion, once again, its the cinematics and camera movement that give it life. in other racers, the replay camera seems mechanic as hell. in GT, its hollywood grade movement.

Kon Tiki

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
nah. i still say its far from photo real. the camera is responsible for the realism more than anything else IMO.
heh, you are misinterpreting it. It is closer to being that than any other game. There is no contesting that.

If you think PGR is closer, you might want to spend a bit more time outside.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i said pg2 was closer to real than RSC2 with GT4 still leading. if anyone thinks GT4 is photoreal they need to get out more.

cobragt3

2 things that make gt4 so convincing whilst watching.

Car physics: Car move so realistically, making them seem like real cars with game graphics over them. The cars move so realistically for a reason tho. Each car has 300 parameters, so yea, you all know the deal.

Lighting: Gt4's lighting is the best in any racer this gen. Lighting can play a huge role in what looks realsitic and what doesn't and gt4 gets the lighting right and dont forget the use of global illumination, making things appear even more convincing.

BeOnEdge

Banned
tsc tsc. why is it that out of replay mode, it looks less real then? u can still see the car physics of the cars ahead and the world lighting but ur camera is FIXED. if GT had the same graphics and physics but say, sega GT or PGR2s replay camera, it WOULD NOT look as real. guaranteed.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Modus is the dumbest fuck ever...seriously. You can't explain shit to this guy.

Gek54

m0dus said:
hey, dude, if it IS realtime, then more power to us. I'm just calling it as I see it, so chill. :D They've done the ingame-model-in-prerendered-vid before (again, the difference in framerate from the first vid screams that to me). I make no presumptions otherwise.

That, and I was referring to the wrong clip when I said the second one--I meant the first. duy. :) for that, you CAN laugh at me.

It is realtime, the pit crew is made of very few poly but like the cars they are done very well. I dont know where you get off on the different frame rate of these handicam footage. The intros of all the GT games run at 60fps even the ones on the PSX. The intro on GT3 used in game graphics but only added full AA, same with the Prologue intro with the exception of the rally spectators. The crew that stood and clapped outside your new car in prologue is prerendered. The driver in the car in game and fully animated in Prologue. If you are calling at as you see it, I suggest some corrective lenses and possibly a labotomy if that proves inefective.

FightyF

Banned
RsC2 is far from photorealism. Seriously, the game is detailed and all but it doesn't look more photorealistic than gt4. It's no where convincing like gt4. Gt4 is photorealistic, photorealistic is an art technique that resembles realistic with attention to realistic detail. Gt4 has a great case of global illumination, and lighting, making it look very convincing. And that vid moved as fast as any gt4 vid that was encoded into a vid, it was moving at 30fps and that's usual for any vid that has been encoded.

Lighting: Gt4's lighting is the best in any racer this gen. Lighting can play a huge role in what looks realsitic and what doesn't and gt4 gets the lighting right and dont forget the use of global illumination, making things appear even more convincing.

You are getting things mixed up.

The only reason why GT4 looks realistic is because of the great texturework of the artists. The colors are photorealistic, and there is a reason for that...a lot of them are photos!

Lighting? There is very basic lighting in GT3/4. PGR2, RSC2...heck Midtown Madness 3 boasts far more lighting techniques and uses.

In GT4, basically everything is lit the same, until you are in the shade. Besides being lit by lights in night time tracks, that's it. Shadows are represented by textures. The lighting on the car? Again, textures. Where in PGR2, the lighting is completely done in real time and not faked, GT3/4 uses baked textures to represent the lighting.

Take a look at the first video you posted. Note the yellow car (don't know which kind of car it is, I only remember it's hood. There is a depression on the hood. In a game like PGR2, it would be fully modelled and lit in real time.

In the GT 4 video, it's a texture. The texture is drawn to show depressions and as you can see it is lit wrong on each side. This is because the texture is mirrored for the car (ie. the car's texture is only for half a car. The rest of the car uses the same texture but mirrored the other way. Perhaps this is done to save memory, or perhaps the texture artists wanted to save time?).

So other than limited vertex shading, you don't see much as far as lighting goes. It uses textures for the most part to fool the user into thinking things are lit. Vanishing Point on the Dreamcast did the same, and the cars were superlow poly, but most people didn't notice because of the fancy texture work.

-edit-
Actually the car I'm referring to is the same car used in the Prologue demo of the driver animations posted in this thread.

Top Bottom