• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simply the most photorealistic racer this gen, gt4 2 new vids

BeOnEdge

Banned
eh? are u crazy cobra? pgr2s cameras move almost robotically if and when they do move. most of the time the are static. GTs cameras move as if the event is being televised thus giving a more true to life feeling.

Brofist

m0dus said:
Alpha, tell you what: Oh hell, I give up: just fuck off, you petulant little shit. Sweet lord, you are the most grating asshole I've yet encountered in this forum, and that says alot, considering I joined during Futami's reign of stupidity. I seriously wonder where the FUCK you get off posting crap like that. What, you're mad I don't get out the knee pads and the vaseline every time someone posts GT shots? I make a simple observation, and dumb shits like you feel the need to weigh in on your pseudo-intelligence. You wanna take this somewhere? Fucking email me, bitch. We'll have words.

And Gek, for the LAST goddamn time, I was referring to the first vid--I mistakenly said the second one in my first post. I questioned whether it was realtime, because the framerate is distinctly different from the second vid. THAT'S IT. If you can't take a simple observation without overreacting like asshat up there, then ignore it.

just give it up, it's obvious you know nothing

:lol at spelling

jett

D-Member
God knows they've had time to do it, but rubberbanding has always been GT's primary flaw aside from the lack of damage.

Another thing...GT games don't use "rubberband A.I." Heh, as unrealistic as that is, it would probably make the races more fun and intense. :p

cobragt3

m0dus said:
Alpha, tell you what: Oh hell, I give up: just fuck off, you petulant little shit. Sweet lord, you are the most grating asshole I've yet encountered in this forum, and that says alot, considering I joined during Futami's reign of stupidity. I seriously wonder where the FUCK you get off posting crap like that. What, you're mad I don't get out the knee pads and the vaseline every time someone posts GT shots? I make a simple observation, and dumb shits like you feel the need to weigh in on your pseudo-intelligence. You wanna take this somewhere? Fucking email me, bitch. We'll have words.

And Gek, for the LAST goddamn time, I was referring to the first vid--I mistakenly said the second one in my first post. I questioned whether it was realtime, because the framerate is distinctly different from the second vid. THAT'S IT. If you can't take a simple observation without overreacting like asshat up there, then ignore it.
You have to realize that the second vid was in real time, the game was being played on that big screen while that other vid was encoded and it ran 30fps. All vids that are encoded run 30fps, I have replay vids on my pc that run 24 to 30 fps.

FightyF

Banned
Gt4 does not use photos for textures.

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Are you for real?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAhAhAhAhAH!

-edit-

BWWAAAAAHAhahaahahAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Hmm..hehehea.ahahahhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAh! HAHAHAHAHHAHHA!

cobragt3

Fight for Freeform said:
AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Are you for real?!

-edit-

Yea I am, do you have proof?
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/cobragt/topgearscan.jpg
copy and paste only

http://ps2.ign.com/mail/2004-02-23.html
Read the first part with canyon in the title

Look at this model
Castle.jpg

Since you are so smart at picking out what uses photos, tell me what texture in that model uses a photo, if you answer correctly, I wont say anything on this ever.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
m0dus said:

Ahahahahaha. Oh, God. I'm so scared. We'll have WORDS! WORDS! *shivers in fear* It's your ignorance that annoys the living shit out of me. All you do is talk out of your ass. Like kPop said...you know nothing.

Hehehe..."we'll have words." Oh, God that's rich.

AlphaSnake

Fight for Freeform said:
AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Are you for real?!

-edit-

Photos aren't made up of polygons and wouldn't have seams. Burns, doesn't it?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GT4 does use photos for textures. from backdrops to road textures.

They aren't painted, just touched up.

If you have the time you can find pictures of the GT team taking thousands of pictures of a tracks road surface.

cobragt3

m0dus said:
Are you saying the vid playing within the vid was encoded? If so, that answers my question--because the second vid was obviously realtime. It looked great, but not as good as the first video. That was the point of all the crap.
I dont understand you. I'll say it clearly. The vid with the Bspec shown was being played on the big screen by a ps2, it was no vid. That other vid was encoded and the second vid looks like gt4 :| you have to be kidding me. Do this, play the 2 new vids and set each vid to the pitcrew scene and compare, it all looks the same. It might be the camera work that makes you think that or either you are blind. Look at the Nurburgring portion of the vid, looks the same as the other Nurb vids I have seen but with fancier camera angles, that's all.

AlphaSnake

DopeyFish said:

If you have the time you can find pictures of the GT team taking thousands of pictures of a tracks road surface.

Wow...just...Goddamn.

Just...

...I fear for humanity.

cobragt3

DopeyFish said:

Ever heard of a neat word named reference? Those were reference pics. They didn't use them to put them in the game :| There are no photos used in gt4.

AlphaSnake

pj325is said:
Really? So someone drew the entire grand canyon?

grand%20canyon.jpg

PD really does have great artists..

Uhh...it's called modelling. You know, like...they modelled the Grand Canyon...sort of how they modelled 650 cars! You can do a lot with a computer these days.

Edit: Oh and once again...for the ignorant: photos don't have polygons and seams.

cobragt3

pj325is said:
Really? So someone drew the entire grand canyon?

grand%20canyon.jpg

PD really does have great artists..

So because it has a line going down means it's a photo? I have seen things like that in gt2 , does that mean gt2 uses photos? Assumptions can only get you so far and I posted a link and mag that prove my point, stop avoiding it.

pj

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Uhh...it's called modelling. You know, like...they modelled the Grand Canyon...sort of how they modelled 650 cars! You can do a lot with a computer these days.

Edit: Oh and once again...for the ignorant: photos don't have polygons and seams.

Oh, ok. So they modelled a photorealistic grand canyon for use on one track, then the purposely added a seam to the model to..break the illusion of realism? ..I'm a little confused.

P.S. One photo can't have seams, but two photos right next to eachother sure as hell do. For an example of this, please look at the left side of the gt4 pic I posted.

shpankey

not an idiot
Am I mistaken or aren't most textures in all games from photos? I always kind of thought that's how it worked (except for most Nintendo games that is).

Not saying I know (cause I don't know shit about this stuff) but I always just thought that's how it worked. If not, guess I learned something new. :)

element

man that is an awful billboard transition.

Am I mistaken or aren't most textures in all games from photos?
no way. most are hand drawn in photoshop. Probably use photos to color match, but not much else. They might use high res photos for things like road surface, but that is about it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
theory: people fetishize gran turismo to such a degree that it, rather than reality, has become the standard for "photorealism." so when people say gran turismo is the most photorealistic racer on the market, really what they're saying is that gran turismo looks more like gran turismo than any other game does. which is of course totally meaningless.

the gran turismo games look great, but i don't think they feature any occult lighting or animation techniques that other games can't recreate. gt's style is no more photorealistic than that of forza or any number of other racers, and some of those other games have more detailed models and textures. of course gt4's framerate puts it ahead of forza overall. but that's a different issue.

AlphaSnake

pj325is said:
Oh, ok. So they modelled a photorealistic grand canyon for use on one track, then the purposely added a seam to the model to..break the illusion of realism? ..I'm a little confused.

P.S. One photo can't have seams, but two photos right next to eachother sure as hell do. For an example of this, please look at the left side of the gt4 pic I posted.

*sigh*

The seam ends right above. If it were a photo(s), then the seam would continue and break up the canyon all the way in the distance. That said, take a look at the very right and notice a sloppy/smeared texture. Why would a photo have a smeared texture?

As already explained by Polyphony, they modelled all of the backgrounds. They are made out of polygons. They are not photos as so many of you think they are. Stop the denial. A photo would look a lot flatter than that. Not to mention it'd be increasibly obvious in a replay (some games have used photos as backdrops, and during replays you could tell).

pj

Banned
cobragt3 said:
So because it has a line going down means it's a photo? I have seen things like that in gt2 , does that mean gt2 uses photos? Assumptions can only get you so far and I posted a link and mag that prove my point, stop avoiding it.

RE your IGN link: Wow, that information is AT LEAST 3rd hand. PD > (> translator?) SCEA > IGN, hardly convincing.

The other link is just as underwhelming. Maybe he was talking about the scene as a whole, and not just the background? Also, render doesn't just mean polygons, anything you see on your computer screen has been rendered, even.....photographs.

shpankey

not an idiot
element said:
man that is an awful billboard transition.

no way. most are hand drawn in photoshop. Probably use photos to color match, but not much else. They might use high res photos for things like road surface, but that is about it.

Cool, thanks for the skinny. :)

AlphaSnake

Just an FYI: A "photo" background has a bit of "float" (for lack of better word) to it when you see it in replays -- or even, in some cases, playing the actual game.

pj

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
*sigh*

The seam ends right above. If it were a photo(s), then the seam would continue and break up the canyon all the way in the distance. That said, take a look at the very right and notice a sloppy/smeared texture. Why would a photo have a smeared texture?

Well I'm no game designer, but from what I've noticed in games, as your line of sight becomes nearer to parallel with a texture, it becomes more and more blurry. I've also noticed that games use big textured boxes for skies, and in gt4's case, the walls, so the camera's perspective isn't straight on, making the texture blurrier.

As already explained by Polyphony, they modelled all of the backgrounds. They are made out of polygons. They are not photos as so many of you think they are. Stop the denial. A photo would look a lot flatter than that. Not to mention it'd be increasibly obvious in a replay (some games have used photos as backdrops, and during replays you could tell).

You mean, as explained by ign on scea's behalf who was speaking on PD's behalf?

AlphaSnake

pj325is said:
Well I'm no game designer, but from what I've noticed in games, as your line of sight becomes nearer to parallel with a texture, it becomes more and more blurry. I've also noticed that games use big textured boxes for skies, and in gt4's case, the walls, so the camera's perspective isn't straight on, making the texture blurrier.

You mean, as explained by ign on scea's behalf who was speaking on PD's behalf?

1) Eh? Then there are quite a number of pits on that canyon that should be smeared because they aren't parallel to the camera. That isn't the case. Not to mention that texture is actually pretty on par with the camera...

2) Har. But no. I was told this personally at E3 2003; this was back when I gave a shit about gaming and writing about it as a living.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't for a moment believe that that grand canyon backdrop is fully modeled. look at the foreground for fuck's sake: the terrain is angular, poorly textured, and made of like 7 polygons. if they had a billion polygons to spend on a ridiculously detailed grand canyon backdrop, you'd think they'd divert a couple to make the actual track look decent. maybe the distant background is a highly detailed texture slapped on a simple polygon mesh to make it move properly in relation to the camera. but that just makes it a glorified skybox. it's more 2d than 3d.

shpankey

not an idiot
drohne said:
i don't for a moment believe that that grand canyon backdrop is fully modeled. look at the foreground for fuck's sake: the terrain is angular, poorly textured, and made of like 7 polygons. if they had a billion polygons to spend on a ridiculously detailed grand canyon backdrop, you'd think they'd divert a couple to make the actual track look decent. maybe the distant background is a highly detailed texture slapped on a simple polygon mesh to make it move properly in relation to the camera. but that just makes it a glorified skybox. it's more 2d than 3d.

hmm.. he has a pretty good point there.

pj

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
1) Eh? Then there are quite a number of pits on that canyon that should be smeared because they aren't parallel to the camera. That isn't the case. Not to mention that texture is actually pretty on par with the camera...

There are no pits, it's just a flat wall with a picture on it, or maybe something similar to what drohne said. I think it's kind of hard to judge the angle of the far left picture, the "steep angle makes it blurry" thing was just a theory.

2) Har. But no. I was told this personally at E3 2003; this was back when I gave a shit about gaming and writing about it as a living.

PD -> PR guy -> you

Second hand to you, third to me. Not a whole lot better, and I wonder, did you also hear about the great online play at that event?

Gek54

There is no seam in prlogue as is show in the picture. I have been up and down grand canyon and there are no seams to be found. The background is made up of several polygons that give it a correct sense of depth. The textures are not pictures but life like art that help add depth to the polygons. That background is not one big texture on a huge globe as most seem to believe. You have to play the game to fully understand just how good it looks especialy in motion, or just sitting there in your car enjoying the view.

AlphaSnake

pj325is said:
PD -> PR guy -> you

Second hand to you, third to me. Not a whole lot better, and I wonder, did you also hear about the great online play at that event?

Once again. Har. But no. This is from Kaz/Translator > me. It was the one and only question I bothered asking him.

But me? I'm off to bed. Toodles, children. Keep it real, m0dus.

pj

Banned
Gek54 said:
There is no seam in prlogue as is show in the picture. I have been up and down grand canyon and there are no seams to be found. The background is made up of several polygons that give it a correct sense of depth. The textures are not pictures but life like art that help add depth to the polygons. That background is not one big texture on a huge globe as most seem to believe. You have to play the game to fully understand just how good it looks especialy in motion, or just sitting there in your car enjoying the view.

Ok, let's assume for a second that they're not photographs, which I still don't accept, why wouldn't they just use a photo and bend it around their simple geometry? They could have just had someone from SCEA fly over to the grand canyon with an advantix camera, take a panoramic picture or two and send the film to PD. They could have in a few hours what would take an artist god knows how long to paint.

Gek54

pj325is said:
Ok, let's assume for a second that they're not photographs, which I still don't accept, why wouldn't they just use a photo and bend it around their simple geometry? They could have just had someone from SCEA fly over to the grand canyon with an advantix camera, take a panoramic picture or two and send the film to PD. They could have in a few hours what would take an artist god knows how long to paint.

I can only guess its a texture compresion issue. Just look close, you wont find a picture of the grand canyon like that anywhere. Its all art if not extremely downsampled photos, which is an art in itself.

pj

Banned
Gek54 said:
Just look close, you wont find a picture of the grand canyon like that anywhere.

You can only say that because you know I won't look. I'm sure I could find a photo exactly like that if I broke into PD and looted their my pictures folder..

thorns

Banned
The background obviously a photo, with a very visible seam on the left most side of the picture.

And man these GT vs Forza flamewars have earned their place among GA legends.

Gek54

Again, there is no seam to be found at all in the game. I dare anyone to recreate that seam and show us.

Hopfully this helps you all understand how much modeling there is in the grandcanyon background. This is more or less what the geometry looks like.

GT4%20CG.jpg

pj

Banned
Gek54 said:
Again, there is no seam to be found at all in the game. I dare anyone to recreate that seam and show us.

Hopfully this helps you all understand how much modeling there is in the grandcanyon background. This is more or less what the geometry looks like.

GT4%20CG.jpg

That seems plausible, but I still think the texture is a photograph(s). It would take way too much time to draw something, with that level of detail, that people will see for like 5 minutes total in a several hundred hour game.

PS2 KID

Takuan said:
Wow, the cars in this game look pretty fantastic. December is too far away.

Yeah, the game is like a serious labor of love for the people at PD. I wonder if they've had any vacations in recent years? I'm surprised they haven't burnt themselves out.

shpankey

not an idiot
obviously they love what they do and are car/racing nuts/fans themselves or they couldn't put this kind of effort into it. I'd imagine they all would be doing something related to cars/racing for free as a hobby if they weren't already being paid to do so.

element

pj325is said:
That seems plausible, but I still think the texture is a photograph(s). It would take way too much time to draw something, with that level of detail, that people will see for like 5 minutes total in a several hundred hour game.
you can make a photo fit that wireframe with UV mapping. Actually not that difficult.

Gek54

Yeah, I take all that back about the textures not being from photo, but it is not a flat box as some suggest.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I wasn't saying that they were just 2D, most of the texture work (sans the cars) are photowork. I'm not saying they just take the photos and smack them on there... they touch it up and fix things for proper transitioning. Oh and I wasn't talking about reference shots, the guys had some big machine take pictures every few feet of the track.

I can't find the pictures of the dudes doing it, as it was posted a couple years ago here on GA. :/

Top Bottom